Update on our new addition

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi*

Reaction score
I went out this morning and he was laying in the same spot that I left him last night. I tried to get him to bottle feed but he still didn't want anything to do with it. I knew being locked in that stall wasn't helping so I decided to hurry up and fence off the cherry tree in the back pasture to keep Melody away from it. I couldn't turn her out until that was done. After I got the fence ready I let Melody out of her paddock into the big pasture. It was then safe to let the little guy out of the stall into the paddock. When I opened the door he didn't move. It took him awhile. I finally decided to let Buddy and Peatrie in hoping they would help him relax. He was really scared of them at first but quickly figured out that Buddy was his new friend "or Mommie"
default_biggrin.png
We were able to put a halter on him and he drank a whole bottle of formula
default_aktion033.gif
So we are off to a GREAT start!

We decided to name him Reggie.

Here are a few pics from this morning
default_yes.gif

He is Buddy's side kick. Kinda makes Buddy nervous I think
default_rolleyes.gif

DSC06721.jpg

DSC06725.jpg

Hubby with Reggie right after we put the halter on him. It's kinda sweet because that was Melody's halter when she first came to me
default_wub.png

DSC06729.jpg

He had a hard time placing his tongue at first but he figured it out in no time
default_aktion033.gif

DSC06731.jpg

Cute!

What are you going to do with them? Steers for 4-H or FFA? Pets? dinner? How old is buddy? he looks good (well, they both do.) Reggie is a good name for the little guy also.
default_yes.gif

I can't get enough pictures of him (and can't wait to see a Reggie video)
default_wub.png
default_yes.gif
default_wub.png

He's got the cutest (and PRETTY) face and those big eyes!!! He is awesome and I'm happy he has got the bottle all figured out
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

Alicia,

Reggie will be my beloved pet. Not dinner lol
default_biggrin.png
Buddy's future is still unknown but I doubt I will be able to eat him :DOH! My Dad is still crossing his fingers that I will change my mind. He is looking mighty beefy!
default_yes.gif
He's a sweet little boy and he is being very good to Reggie. My backyard is a pretty fun place to be right now! I have a whole petting zoo almost
default_biggrin.png

Brandi,

Don't eat Buddy (or Reggie!!!). Omg. If you're fixing to, don't let me know. I can see me now figuring how to ship a cow clear across the country. He's too cute to eat... Don't even want to think about it because it doesn't fit well at all with my love of nearly raw rare filet mignon!

Jill

Brandi,

Don't eat Buddy (or Reggie!!!). Omg. If you're fixing to, don't let me know. I can see me now figuring how to ship a cow clear across the country. He's too cute to eat... Don't even want to think about it because it doesn't fit well at all with my love of nearly raw rare filet mignon!

Jill
I agree with Jill!
default_wink.png
default_biggrin.png

He is adorable!
default_wub.png
And he's got his big Buddy to show him around the place. Love your newest addition Brandi!

~Rebecca

Hahahaha well lets not think of that now :DOH! It's really not on my list of things to accomplish these days lol
default_biggrin.png
My Dad is pushing for it already but I have the final say
default_yes.gif

And yes Jill! I could see you paying to ship him to your house just to save him lol
default_new_rofl.gif
How could I ever live with myself :DOH! My plan was to have a cow as a pet! My Dad is the one with the bright idea to eat him
default_rolleyes.gif
We raised cows when I was younger and would always have one for ourselves. It was just a part of life and I understood it. But things are different now. I am the one feeding and loving them. They are my friends
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
They are easy to have as pets when they are only a couple hundred pounds, but when they get to be 1000# and decide you are a playmate and head-butt you, they aren't so cute any more. I've bottle raised one calf a year since I've been married, tried to keep a heifer, but she didn't realize she was a cow and was dangerous.

We have our next butcher steer (we raise red Angus) picked out and he's out to pasture fattening up; we don't pick cutesy names for them... This one is "Turkey" as in "the other white meat; our neighbors white bull got in with our cows, so Turkey is white.

I sure love that little Reggie!

Chanda!!!
default_new_rofl.gif
Turkey, the other white meat is TOO FUNNY! Poor guy. My cousins have a dairy farm with Jersey cattle and I have been over there too many times when they take something out of the freezer and say "who" it is.
default_wacko.png

Aw, he is SO adorable!! If only the pet calves could STAY small huh?

Latest posts

Back