Update on My Yearling - Not Salmonella!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JewelsOK

Reaction score
Image was released from the hospital Monday evening and we were instructed to care for him as if he was carrying salmonella and bring him back if he started having diarrhea. Well, the test results finally came back today and were negative for all "bad" bacteria.

We may never know what caused him to be so sick. Of course now I wonder if I had waited and watched him a bit longer if I could have saved myself the $500 vet bill? Really, I know I did the right thing by taking him in as I couldn't bear it if something had gone wrong with him. He is just so special to us.

I'm still watching him closely, but he is doing just great.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.

That's great news. As far as the wait and see method, that can run into major money too, not to mention the second guessing ones self if you think they should be seen by a professional.

Carolyn

That is very good news!!!
love0075.gif

Happy to hear that he is doing well and salmonella free. Last week we also had a little 2 year old gelding that was sick. Our local vet gave him 15 liters of fluids over a three day period wthout good results, so off to the large animal clinic at the University of Florida. He was there for six days in insolation because they also thought he could possibly have salmonella in addition to the colic symptoms. But like your horse he did not have salmonella and is now doing fine. Hope your little guy continues to do well. By the way the vets at UF say that about 20 percent of horses with salmonella never have diarrhea.

Gary

EXCELLENT NEWS!!! Thank you for sharing......

I'm so glad your boy is ok again! I know how scary it is when they get sick.

Since I haven't been on the last two weeks or so, I missed what was going on with Image. However, I'm happy to read he's on the mend!

What were they able to do at the hospital to make him better?

GLAD he is feeling better!

What were they able to do at the hospital to make him better?

GLAD he is feeling better!
They really didn't do anything. They ran lots of test - ultrasounds, fecals, cultures, blood work, etc. but they never really treated him. He never needed banamine again after the one shot my regular vet gave him and he was drinking well on his own so they never needed to give him an I.V. It ended up being a "wait and see" kind of thing. They really thought he would break with diarrhea, but thankfully he never did. My fear was that he would pick up something while he was there and so far so good.

They had said that even if he did have salmonella, all they would be able to do is try to keep him hydrated as antibiotic use is controversial since they kill off so much good bacteria with the bad and most salmonella these days is resistant to antibiotics anyway - very scary!!!

Today is the first day we turned him free in the arena to play and boy did he play. He just ran and ran on his own. He was a happy boy. We didn't let him run for too long for fear that it was too soon, but he was enjoying himself.

Latest posts

Back