Update on my mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunny

Reaction score
It's DEFINITELY NOT West Nile, EPM, founder, bad teeth, kidneys, etc. THANK GOD!! She appeared no worse today than yesterday. The vet said he has seen a few other cases like this recently (one of which was a reaction to a weed in the hay or pasture), and feels that it's some sort of "virus" that's ailing her. Kind of like how we sometimes feel achy and sore all over and not wanting to do much. His recommendation was to just let it run its course and she'll probably be better by the end of the week, and to "pamper" her in the meantime.

He checked and we discussed several possibilities, we talked about her feed program and he answered a million questions. I showed him our new hay which I think is crap but he said is perfectly good. (We're accustomed to hay with a significant proportion of alfalfa in it, and this new stuff has virtually none.)

Before he left he gave her a dose of banamine and said to let him know how she makes out. I know it sounds like "take two aspirin and call me in the morning", but I have great trust in this man's knowledge and experience, and I'm sure my old girl is going to be ok.

Once again, my sincere thanks to all of you who offered ideas, suggestions, prayers, support and phone calls.

Yay I Am Oh So Happy! Hope all is Well!
default_wub.png
:

OH thank God she is o.k, nothing worse then having a sick horse. Especially when you don't know what it is.

Keep us posted on her recovery, see you on the weekend.

Nicole

Oh Judy!!!! NEVER have I been so happy to be WRONG!!!!!! :lol: That is great news!!!!!!! You must be feeling so lighthearted now after having been fearing the worst. I am so glad your outcome is better than what mine was.
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

I'm happy to hear the great news:). We had a 25 y.o. POA mare a few years back who was acting a bit off. I called the vet in tears and he rushed out within an hour. He took a few minutes to check her out, looked at me with a somewhat bemused expression on his face, and said, "Honey, this little filly has the flu. She'll be fine within a day or two." Sure enough, the next day she was back to her old self again:). -jo ann-

Judy, hope your mare makes a speedy recovery. Keep us posted on how she is doing.

Thanks for the update - I hope your mare continues to improve! Sounds like you have a good vet.

JJay

WHEW!! what a relief...poor lil thing.

That is similar to what a few horses around here went through last year. Not the same symptoms, altogether, but it was diagnosed as "some-kind-of-virus"...and the horses all did come-around and get their spunk back. I guess we always get so worried, and frustrated when our bgeloved animals feel down, and yet were it ourselves; we'd just shrug our shoulders and go to work.
default_rolleyes.gif
: :lol:

Thanks again for your caring and support, you guys!

There's no significant change in the Brat today, but her eyes do look a bit brighter. I brushed her for quite some time this morning so of course her coat looks better. She hated me for putting the fly spray on, but I couldn't stand seeing them all over her. She chose to stay inside today which is probably wise considering she still seems unsteady on her feet and the footing in the paddock is very slick and slippery from all the rain yesterday.

I am indeed relieved that she doesn't have anything serious or life threatening, but I won't actually feel "lighthearted" until she's back to her old self. I sure hope that'll be soon!

I've been following your posts over the past few days &

wondering...how is she feeling today Judy?

Well I hope!
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back