Update on mini horse death.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang13

Reaction score
I posted here after the loss of my mini horse tucker. I wanted to let everyone know the cause of death and to vent a little. Right now I feel like law enforcement does not care and i feel betrayed by the legal system. The autopsy shows tucker was very healthy. The day he died he presented with severe neurological symptoms. He appeared blind. He staggered as he walked knuckling over on his rear pasterns. His gums were purple and cold. He dribbled urine he had no control. His blood looked weird when the vet took the sample she took a few to play safe before she put him down.The autopsy showed he was healthy no parasites. His left kidney had a huge clot around it. No causes were found all we can speculate is tucker had a HUGE jump in blood pressure causing the blood. There were no signs of injury or long term blood pressure problems. The blood test they could run ( they said some test could not be run due hemolysis of the blood) showed multiple problems with organs. All on a horse who was very healthy and full of energy I watched him playing that morning as I left for work. When I found him after work he wasent even dirty or muddy like he rolled are anything. I have a witness that the neighbor was obsessed about poisoning him. The vet feels he was poisoned and certain illigal drugs would explain everything. That neighbor was also arrested for manufacturing those drugs.( also my goat heard was poisoned LAST YEAR by the neighbor but the police said there's no proof it came from the neighbor even though he was mad his pit bulls were taken away after they attacked my son.) now tucker was drug tested but the lab says they can't test his blood only the urine and that came back negative but the lab says his death was consistent with the drugs and he died before the drugs were in his body long enough to test in his urine. Not only that I have images of him on my property even in my truck at 3am but the police say the images aren't good enough I have just had it I am so sick of the law not caring it just seems like they only care about protecting this scum bag.

So sorry to hear this. It does seem that the evil ones have more rights then we do. Karma works. If we are lucky we get to see it.

I know you feel in your gut the guy next door did this to your Tucker. But without proof, the law can't do a thing. Sometimes in life there is no justice. This I know very well and there is nothing you can do about it except to sit back and watch what happens next.That guy will eventually slip up doing something and hang himself.

I am so sorry you and Tucker have suffered so much pain over this. Hugs.

It's not a simple as I suspect it. I know he did it. I heard them talking about it when we bought joe ( who looks a strikingly a lot like tucker) and it's not just that. Just a week ago they tried to strike my daughter and I on the other side of the road. We were driving joe the mini they came into the oncoming traffic with a minivan right at us and swerved before they hit us like some sick game of chicken. But the cops don't do anything about that either. He's been in my truck at 3am I have the images I have an image where he notices the camera and tries to take it down I don't understand why they won't fingerprint the camera or the truck. Just so darn tired of all this. Last year almost my entire goat herd gone this year tucker. The witness stated he's planning on taking out the other horses and burning down my shop too all because he believes my cameras got him caught for drug trafficking and manufacturing narcotics. At this point I am afraid to leave them out at night and afraid to bring them in. At this point I don't think they will do anything until someone gets badly hurt or killed. And I wonder why I pay taxes for this?

Last edited by a moderator:
We happen to live in an area where the cops look the other way and actually don't seem to care what the heck goes on.

Then I discovered a nice office building where the DA resides. Its amazing what can be done by the DA's office especially when they agree the local law enforcement stinks. But go in person with your story. Don't try to do this on the phone. Worked very good for a situation around here in record time. Can't hurt.

I am so sorry you are going through this and have lost your mini Tucker. It is terrible that you are getting no help or support from the law enforcement. I had some serious problems with neighbors in the past and did not get help from our police either. But here are some things I did to bring awareness to the problems which the police could not ignore. Do you have a local DA (district attorney)? If so make an appointment and meet with him. Before your appt. write a timeline of everything that has taken place. This may take some time but writing it all down helps you to remember everything and put it in order, so your story is informative. Another thing is write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper. You can't include names of your neighbors but you can be descriptive and you can (I did) tell about the lack of support from the police. Both of these things will bring attention to the lack of help you have received and the DA's office may launch their own investigation. Our DA took care of many of the issues we were having that were illegal and even uncovered other illegal things as well. The DA can contact the head of the police force which may not be aware of your situation, a better approach than if you were to contact him/her. News/Media is always a good resource to bring attention to something that is going on! You never know who will read it and offer help or other information about these neighbors. Sorry if this is a bit too long but I just know what has worked for me in the past and wanted to offer any help or ideas for you. Hang in there something will break or happen to get these awful people brought to justice. And remember God is watching over all of us!

I am so sorry you're going thru this. I don't have much advice. :-(

Several years ago I went thru the same thing. 110% healthy horses and drop dead within a few hours. I lost five horses in about a month.

Two horses were not effected/ill. The ones that didn't die were knocking on death's door and bounced back.

Symptoms were dull eyes, purple gums, loss of bladder and bowels. Staggering while walking, stiffening and falling over (think fainting goats) and so on.

Horrible to watch.. Autopsy on two and the only single thing found was a blood clot in a colon.

Never found a cause. Tested hay, grain, plants, etc.

Again, soo sorry.

I'm so sorry. I don't blame you for being so angry. That guy is a killer. Warn your daughter to be careful of anything she might find to eat or drink, not to touch it.

Something needs to be done about him. I'm sorry.
default_sad.png

Personally, if I had proof he did it...id poison his well. But ia a very spiteful and vengeful petson. I advise you not to retaliate but to expose the situation to the community. The intetnet and media is a very powerful tool. If EVERYONE knows what hw did, even if the law cant help you the public shame and discontent should be enough to turn the community against him. He'll either back off because he knows that you all know and are watching or he'll snap and end up in jail or an institution. I am so sorry to hear about your herd. Hang no trespass signs and get surveillance cameras and when you catch him trespassing turn him in. If the harassment continues file a restraining order. If it escalates a judge can make him move. Good luck. So sorry for your loss.

It's probably too late, but they should have been able to test his blood at autopsy for various drugs. If not, they can also use the vitreous humor (eye fluid) for drugs. If your vet kept some of the blood, you may try to get it sent to a forensic lab for testing. Even if the police aren't helpful, you should be able to file a report with the county sheriff or state police. If you file a report and press charges they're obligated to investigate. At least that's how it works here in KY.

The only reason I know is that I worked at the forensic laboratory. One of my cases involved a pregnant mare that was killed by an angry neighbor/hunter (it wasn't drugs though). I don't think he cops were thrilled to investigate, but with my analysis they got a confession out of the guilty party.

I also wholeheartedly agree with the others who've told you to get in touch with the media and even your District or Commonwealth attorney (depending on your state). I think you could also contact your magistrate. The squeaky wheels most frequently get the grease - so squeak away!

However, since you do have family and animals in close proximity to the dangerous neighbor, you need to exercise caution. I would certainly emphasize in my report that you fear for not only your animals' lives, but for those of you and your family. Perhaps they can arrange for a drive-by of the local patrol.

In addition, if you suspect your neighbor is still manufacturing drugs, most agencies have an anonymous tip line or tip cards. I would fill out a dozen of them and turn them in over the period of a week or so. With that many reports, they'll be more likely to investigate. I'd also see if you can get signed witness reports from your other neighbors about the things your mean neighbor has said against you, your animals, etc. Also try to get some of your neighbors to fill out the anonymous tip cards or make anonymous tip calls. The more tips, calls, and witnesses you can get will make the case better.

If addition, even though I recognize that there are police agencies that don't take animal cruelty (or whatever they deem frivolous) seriously, most are very busy with murders, human death investigations, rapes, burglaries, robberies, etc. They have to prioritize their time. As a forensic analyst, we were ordered to place felony crimes against people (violent crimes) ahead of property crimes. In fact, we we could get in serious trouble for doing otherwise. However, if you consistently and concisely present your case (in person) without excess emotion (I know that's going to be difficult with such an emotionally charged case), they'll have to take you seriously. I'm not excusing the cops you've spoken to at all, but I am trying to let you see it from the inside and not just the outside.

I really hope you get some help from your police. Just don't give up, but make sure you protect yourself first. Good luck!

I agree with everyone above, your problem is horrible especially since you have a child to protect as well as your animals. I would also go to your local DA, also ask about any drug task force in the area. You might be able to get some info from your vet on who you can contact. Its amazing how word of mouth works but be very careful since drug dealers are very dangerous people. HUGS to you and your family.

Good Lord! Where do you live? That's like living next to a serial killer :/

Latest posts

Back