Update on mare that cast on barn wall

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
WE HAVE GREAT IMPROVEMENT!
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Can not tell you how relieved I am. The mare is doing better and better each minute.

She has passed manure normal since Monday afternoon. Didn't eat much at all on Monday, but ate hay good yesterday and today she did eat a little grain. Not giving her much grain at all until we know for sure her system is going to 100% move correctly.

The pain seems to have lessoned so we have switched her from bute to banamine and she remains comfortable. The swelling from the injuries from the other horses has gone down about 80%. She is rubbing them and some are breaking open, but the cream we are using on her is helping.

Is letting the foal eat again at will. He for sure is happy momma is feeling better.
biggrin.gif

Her hip and leg are going to need some work done on them, as in therapy type work, but are waiting until probably late next week when she is doing better. Are doing some small exercises, movement of the leg to prevent stiffness, muscle massages, but nothing too hard or for too long.

She still looks a little rough but for sure is improving. I tried to groom her some today, but she just doesn't feel like being messed with so much, so we'll let the mane and tail go until she feels up to it. Vet says if we get through tomorrow with no gut pain, she would be out of the woods!

Thanks to all who sent the pm's and emails, I appreciate the support. Wasn't so sure, neither was a lot of other folks, as we know, results from long term cast is not too positive.

Thanks
wub.gif

I missed your original thread, did this happen during foaling? That happened to one of our mares this year. I had let the preggers outside, and awhile later I noticed one missing. Went to check and found she had gone back inside, and was rolled up against the wall in full labour, with two hooves and a nose sticking out. Thankfully both her and the filly were ok.

Glad your mare is doing ok!

Sure am glad to hear she is doing better. Hang in there!

Barbie

Thanks for the good thoughts, she looks even better this morning. She even did a little pushing around this morning with those messing with her that she didn't want near her.

Beccy, we found her cast early Monday, just cause, not sure how long she had been there, but baby nursed once we got her up like he was starving.

Thanks again for your help.

Oh, wanted to add, been doing some reading on cast. Interesting thought I read, if the barn is metal, as is mine, if the horse gets off to the side up next to the barn, their hoof will just slide off the metal, if the barn is wood with at least some texture, they have a better chance to actually push off of it to get back over. It is not a way to prevent, but it can be a way to help in some cases.

That's great Carolyn. My barn is metal but is all wood inside. My shed however is not wood inside and my casting stallion is out there. I will be adding wood this weekend for sure! Thanks.

By the way! If she won't allow the massages, Glow wouldn't either, I went to walmart and bought a big sheet of magnet material. Magnets are very theraputic and help bloodflow. I use them all the time on me and on Glow. He loves it. You just cut the edges to round manageable pieces and lay them on for as long as she'll stand for it. Know anyone who does Reiki? Also very helpful. Glow is on CortaFlex HA also. Hope she continues to improve.

I'm so glad she is doing better Carolyn.
yes.gif
You sure have been given a lot to "deal with" this year....but have really hung in there with each & every problem.

I think next year should go "smooth as glass" for you!
wink.gif

Good news to hear & I know you are so relieved. Probably added a few gray hairs to your head. Sending best wishes that all is well on your farm for the rest of the year.

Never thought about wood vs metal Frankie, but I guess that does make sense. Our mare was stuck against wood, good and truly stuck, sweating heavily and in great distress in labour, but once I rolled her over, though she staggered for a couple of minutes, she finished delivering ok, and both were fine.

Sounds like your poor girl really had a rough time, but I am so glad she is getting better now.
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back