Update on jennet with strange lump

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auledasacres

Reaction score
Ok the vet just left. The lump has gotten bigger maybe grew a quarter size more. I syringed it yesterday and got on tiny drop of fluid so I quickly came to the decision it wasn't an infection. So I called the vet again. Well she came this morning and took a sample to microscope. She is worried it might be melonoma. She said melonoma in an animal is different from melonoma in a human.

I am so worried. What will this mean for my Annabelle. She is extremely attached to my other jennet Matilda. If I lose her I will more than likely lose them both. Matilda wouldn't survive with out Annabelle. Annabelle is 2 years old and Matilda 3. Isn't she too young for all of this to start.

Can anyone calm my fears. I asked the vet if she can remove it. She said it could cause more to form if that is truly what it is.

These are wonderful little jennets. I am sure anyone whom owns a mini donk can relate. They are part of the family here.

Traci and Family.

I am sorry - I sure hope it is not that bad. My thoughts are with you and your little girl.

Animals just like humans are never to young to get cancer.

My donkey had cancer in his ear, twice. The first time the vet removed the tumor and I applied a cream that was kinda like chemotherapy. You have to be very careful not to get it on you. Then it came back again, my vet gave me a stronger cream that ate away at the tumor. That was 4 years ago and he has been very healthy ever since.

I forgot to mention that Eeyore was 3 years old when the tumor first appeared. And luckily the both of the creams were not expensive. I think each one was around $50. Good Luck

Just to offer some hope......was this donk run down when you got her? There is an arab mare my friend has who when she got her she was really rundown as she gained weight and got wormed etc she suddenly started getting weird lumps on her neck and face they then would break open and were quite ugly we were really concerned about melanoma so the vet did come take samples........turned out is some weird parasite so we put her on a worming program and used a special shampoo ...slowly they all healed up went away and have never come back.......

Warbles!!! Ask your Vet if it could be a Warble larva- if so the nasty little thing will need to hatch to get it out and then she will need aggressive worming to kill any inside and probably antibiotics for what is left but it is not life threatening.

I am so sorry to hear abot your little Annabelle. Do you have 100% trusts in your vet, that she knows what she is doing with your donkeys? The only reason I am asking that is it seems like up our way, alot of the vets dont really know a heck of alot about minis or donkeys. I even had a freind, who use to post on here, he had a small jack and was going to have it gelded..his jack was dead the next morning..it sounds like he overdosed him. I would wait till I got the test results back, and then get a second vet out ..dont mention that you had the first and ask them what they thought it could be. If you get the same answer twice, then you know. Also if it is cancer and caught very early..removed, and you keep up with the meds there is a good chance that it would clear up. Alot of times a animal will harbor a parasite and it comes out in the form of a lump. HAs you vet mentioned any of this to you? Here is a ((hugg)) to you and I am wishing you the best outcome on this. Corinne

I also suggest a secind opinion after youget the results. It very well could be warbles.

ok what are warbles? I know what bots are ewww nasty........the parasite our mare had was more in the line of a hookworm type thingy....it was not visible as an actual parasite to the eye only under the microscope.......

Didn't it have a circle like a warble or other larva? I did find some pics of some warble wounds but do not think I should put them here.

Fran

We have a gelding donkey who is about 5yrs old and he has a ping-pong ball-sized growth under his jaw which is pretty firm. We had our vet, who is a very good donkey expert, check it and he said it was nothing to worry about and to just leave it alone. There was also a recent article in one of our local magazines about how sarcoids are very common and it seems more so in the longears. They are growths which usually have no hair on them, just dark skin. An equine dentist also recently spoke to our club and said some caps drop down and form bumps on the face. If the bump is on the bone, nobody wants to cut into it because of almost sure infection and that's bad there!

I guess what I'm saying is that it seems like there are lots of causes for bumps! Cancer sends shivers though all of us and maybe it's not that! I need to go back and read your original post to see where the bump is...meanwhile, I'll be thinking optimistic thoughts for you!!!

Take care and good luck!

StarWish/Colleen

Latest posts

Back