Update on Crystal....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielle_E.

Reaction score
I posted last week that Crystal, my "Hawk" daughter will be foaling shortly or maybe. My yearling stallion is the culprit as I had not planned ANY breeding for this year. In the last few weeks she has been very "witchy" with the other horses and likes to be by herself outside and is VERY cuddly with me, which is not the independant Crystal I know and love. She is developing quite a bag, I noticed this morning, but I am unable to express anything at this point so I figure another two weeks maybe.

Crystal lost her foal last year, it was a maximum sabino filly with blue eyes, some black near her lip, like momma, and some black in her tail and a dot near her right front hoof. The sire was Jagger's father, Flash, who is a black and white pinto. Jagger is a product of my mare Abby and Flash. Abby is a silver bay and Jagger is a silver bay pinto (tobiano).

What do you think I will get with this breeding of Crystal and Jaqger? Will it be another maximum sabino? or is there a chance of the "color" being more visible. Crystal's carries I believe, through her sire "Hawk" the frame gene (she is LWO). I was rather surprised last year when she foaled a maximum sabino. She had another foal here with me, Allie, who was a bay appaloosa, so I figure she isn't homozygous for the sabino gene? Does that make sense.

Any guesses on what she might have as far as color? Ring test says colt and it's not failed me yet in predicting.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I come up with on the color prediction site

Offspring Color Probability

18.75% - Chestnut Tovero

7.03% - Bay Tovero

7.03% - Silver Bay Tovero

6.25% - Chestnut Sabino

6.25% - Chestnut

6.25% - Chestnut Overo

6.25% - Chestnut Tobiano

6.25% - Chestnut Frame/Sabino

2.34% - Black Tovero

2.34% - Silver Bay Sabino

2.34% - Silver Bay Overo

2.34% - Silver Bay Frame/Sabino

2.34% - Silver Bay

2.34% - Bay Frame/Sabino

2.34% - Bay Overo

2.34% - Silver Dapple Tovero

2.34% - Bay Sabino

2.34% - Bay

2.34% - Silver Bay Tobiano

2.34% - Bay Tobiano

0.78% - Silver Dapple Tobiano

0.78% - Black

0.78% - Black Frame/Sabino

0.78% - Black Overo

0.78% - Black Sabino

0.78% - Silver Dapple Sabino

0.78% - Silver Dapple Overo

0.78% - Silver Dapple Frame/Sabino

0.78% - Silver Dapple

0.78% - Black Tobiano

Danielle, good Luck with your foal this year. I hope all goes well for you. I also wanted to mention that there is also a chance that foal could have been a maximum white Spalsh or Frame foal as well. There is really no way to know what pattern for sure it was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mona, that is something I was thinking as well. Her last year's foal for sure I thought would have some black, more than just a couple of spots but with the maximum sabino pattern it's like invisible color and pattern. Since Jagger is related to Flash that was used for the previous breeding I may just see the same thing this time, another maximum sabino or I could be surprised with some visible wild pattern and color. At this point I just want an uneventful birth and a healthy foal, colt or filly I truly don't care.

This is what I come up with on the color prediction site
Offspring Color Probability

18.75% - Chestnut Tovero

7.03% - Bay Tovero

7.03% - Silver Bay Tovero

6.25% - Chestnut Sabino

6.25% - Chestnut

6.25% - Chestnut Overo

6.25% - Chestnut Tobiano

6.25% - Chestnut Frame/Sabino

2.34% - Black Tovero

2.34% - Silver Bay Sabino

2.34% - Silver Bay Overo

2.34% - Silver Bay Frame/Sabino

2.34% - Silver Bay

2.34% - Bay Frame/Sabino

2.34% - Bay Overo

2.34% - Silver Dapple Tovero

2.34% - Bay Sabino

2.34% - Bay

2.34% - Silver Bay Tobiano

2.34% - Bay Tobiano

0.78% - Silver Dapple Tobiano

0.78% - Black

0.78% - Black Frame/Sabino

0.78% - Black Overo

0.78% - Black Sabino

0.78% - Silver Dapple Sabino

0.78% - Silver Dapple Overo

0.78% - Silver Dapple Frame/Sabino

0.78% - Silver Dapple

0.78% - Black Tobiano
Danielle, I don't think I've ever seen one with that many different options! My goodness, how could you ever predict??

Latest posts

Back