Update on Corona (for those interested)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

Well, it's been just over 3 weeks since Corona was gelded. I'm sure for many this seems totally weird, but it's been much harder on me than I'd expected. I in no way mean to to diminish the loss felt by those whose horses have crossed the bridge, but in many ways I've felt like Corona died. I had so many dreams of seeing all these tiny red horses with gorgeous heads running around my pasture someday.

For me, Corona's head is perfection. Exactly what I'd hoped to reproduce. Tiny, tippy ears, large soft eyes, very strong jaw, tiny throatlatch and a gentle slope to his face. Him being tiny, pretty darn well balanced (yes, a bit longer in the back than I would have preferred), fine boned legs and good length of neck was what completed the package for me.

Today I was finally able to spend some one on one time with him and actually enjoy it without being totally depressed. Well, a tad depressed, but not as bad as it has been. He's still my lovable Corona, totally sweet and everything, but a part of him did die and so did some of my dreams. The good news is he's healthy, happy and will live here forever!

I feel like I've done all that I can to remedy this and to ensure it stops with Corona. I did not have any mares in foal to him for 2009 but I did have two for 2010. I had those two mares aborted because I just didn't want the risk of the difficult delivery that so often accompanies the birth of a dwarf. I know not everyone agrees, but that is how I chose to handle it. There was only one mare in foal to him for 2009 and we all know how that turned out. There were/are also 3 outside mares in foal to him for 2010. I feel like I did what I could for those folks by refunding 100% of their expenses (stud fee, mare care, trasnportation and vet). Two of the owners decided to terminate the pregnancies, one did not. And everyone was so nice and understanding and not pointing fingers or placing blame. I really appreciate that.

So, hopefully today was the start of a new relationship with Corona. I probably will never be able to look at him without shaking my head and thinking what a waste of gorgeousness, but maybe we'll show sometime in the future or maybe I'll find him a nice young child that wants to borrow him for 4H or something. Whatever happens, he'll be loved.

Here are a couple of pics I took today while we were re-bonding.

This is when I love him best. Natural with Rock Star hair!
default_wub.png

corona200906142.jpg

Those are the ears, eyes and jaw I love so much!

corona200906143.jpg

And not bad for an old fart just hanging out for a few years!

corona200906144.jpg

(pardon the stuff in the background - it was barn cleaning weekend!)

And this is my favorite professional photo of him. That head!
default_wub.png

coronaheadneck2007pjbweb.jpg

Thanks for letting me share.

Parmela, I'm so glad you were able to spend some enjoyable time with Corona.
default_wub.png

I applaud you for your actions in this situation. You are a top notch breeder.
default_aktion033.gif

Why did you geld him? If you don't mind me asking that is.

He's very pretty. Its amazing to see them show slick to au' naturale.

Parmela, I'm so glad you posted about Corona. I've been wondering how the little feller was doing. I'm sure he will enjoy lots of attention!

HUGS!

Pam C.

Lacie,

I gelded him because he sired a dwarf that was born this spring. I don't want to be responsible for creating any more of them (when I now know he carries the gene) so I gelded him. We all know there are tons of minis out there that are carriers and we will never know they are because they will never produce one. But when you know FOR SURE, well, my personal choice was to make sure it didn't happen again. There are so many stallions out there that are producing really, really great quality foals, I see no reason to continue to breed one that can create a foal with such deformaties. JMO. Not everyone agrees with me.

That's a bummer.
default_no.gif
But I personally respect your decision and applaud you for it.

default_saludando.gif
Hey there, he is still as beautiful as always, I'm glad you got some bonding time in, and like others I am so proud of you for the choice you made. I hope if I ever have to make a choice like that I'd make the right one too :) Give him a hug for me please, I loved Corona from the moment I seen him and still do
default_wub.png

Parm You have been through an ordeal that has hurt you deeply and I'm so sorry. You have sacrificed a lot and did an outstanding thing for the breed and you are a leader to follow. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks; Cornona is your horse and you did what you thought was best for all involved and went above and beyond. You are a class act and your honesty will get you everywhere.
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

You did the right thing. Unfortunatly sometimes the right thing to do is the hardest. Your boy is still there, and will make an excellent , confident gelding. Give it time ...Is the dwarf with you? I would love to find one somewhere that needs a loving home that I could have , I have so many beautiful small blankets that are just sitting on a shelf waiting for an extra little horse in need. Maybe one day I will come across one here in Europe that needs a good home.

default_wub.png

Wow I totally respect your integrity! Not to many people have that anymore it is so nice to see someone who is willing to do the hard thing just because it right instead of the wrong thing just because it is easy! He is a beautiful horse, are you going to drive him now? He would be so gorgeous as a little driving gelding!

He looks really good Parmela. I understand your pain but now your boy can be there in a friend capacity. You did what you thought was right,as you have to live with yourself then it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks.. Kudos for you....

Parmela, I know this has been tough for you guys, and having gelded a (expensive and well-bred) stallion that we had high hopes for under similar circumstances, I understand what you're going through.

However, a gelding is NEVER a "waste of gorgeousness"!! There's so much that he can do, and by showing him you would be showing the caliber of horse you are willing to geld. We show primarily geldings, and rarely attend a show where someone doesn't ask if we regret gelding one or another of them ... we never have and I believe that geldings are an excellent measure of a breeding program.

I hope you and Corona can make lots of new, happy memories together!

I can only imagine how hard that was to do
default_sad.png

I know that as you start feeling better about your decision that your companionship with him will grow ever stronger !

He is a Beautiful Boy....

Parmela, he still looks absolutely lovely! You will love your little gelding, I promise it. After gelding my two sr. stallions, I am ecstatic with the result. I really had mixed feelings about whether I should have done it for a while. But now, not at all.

Give that boy some carrots and hugs from me!

You really have held yourself to the highest standards. It is nice to see that you have followed through on a topic you feel so strongly about, rather than allowing him to be someone elses horse to "deal with". Too many people won't use a horse as "their stallion" but have no problem selling them intact to someone else.

I know you feel miserable about your situation, but you have the respect and admiration of many of the forum members.

Well I better see him out there kicking some gelding butt!!! He looks great.

I applaud your honesty and integrity, but I think I understand how you feel. But you have also save others possible heartache and suffering. Your Corona is gorgeous, enjoy him!! He is not wasted! They always say when one door closes another opens. Maybe there are different plans in store for him.

default_wub.png
I think he is sooo sweet in his unshaven-fuzzy-wild hair look and he is still your awesome champion!
default_saludando.gif

Back