Update on Coco

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
OMG coco has improved at leat 100% each day. We started training Tuesday night. We didnt do anything wensday bc i didnt want to throw to much at him all at once. And the thursday and today he is just brought his effort up. I told myself that thursday i would work on him trotting ..we did. He was a bit resistant so we went back to the walking. I spend about 10 minutes doing backing up. About every 2 laps we do some 'give me your necks' and i make him stretch out for a sugarcube. After yesterday's trotting going down the drain i was a tad bit worried about it today. Bc i wanted the basics down this week so next week we can throw all this together and do a couple run threws per day on what we will beind doing for the show. So around 8pm i went and got coco and brought him to my driveway where we practice (bc we cant do it in grass and its the only thing we have). I decided to try to trotting thing and we took about 3 steps walking and i clicked my tong 2 times and said 'trot' and he broke into a beautiful trot and kept pace. Then i slowed it down to a walk then picked up to a trot. That is exactly what i wanted him to do and its like i didnt even have to train him ..he just got it. I had tears welling up in my eyes!
aktion033.gif
The nabor who has watched me out his window the past 3 or 4 nights even came out and was like "this is coco right?". He use to show horses in halter and showmanship and won allot of trophys. I showed him where we were w/ standing correctly and squarly ...trotting ..walking. He said that we just had to do a little work on our turns and we were in top shape. Its like he just knew what i wanted and wanted to please.
rolleyes.gif

We have this weekend and next week to prepare. I have allot of stuff to get done and we need to work out a action plan for the showday. But i have to much to do to get stressed. I'm so glad ...lol. Even the backing seemed to be perfected today. Whoa was always pretty good but today he was just on the ball.

I got him to go into his stall the past couple days prefectly fine bc i give him a handful of sweetfeed after he goes in and he eats it out of my hand. He knows that stall=treat. But today he didnt wanna go in ..i had to drag him. I think he wanted to go do more trotting. He's an attention horse apparently. lol. Had 2 cars stop today and they were swooning over him. 1 little girl whispered to her daddy 'i want it ..i want it' and he was like 'no he's not ours'. That poor little girl go so mad. I told them they were free to stop over and see him whenever they felt like it. Im so happy right now!

Thats aweosme. Hey, if you ever need training help, feel free to e-mail me, or PM me, and try visting my website. Its got some good tips, and LOTS of pictures.

Just do a few minutes of something daily and he will soon do whatever you ask.

They sometimes fool you at shows and pretend to forget all they know but just keep up the good work and you and Coco should have a fun show experience.

They always tell me to smile and BREATHE when you go in the arena. Also make sure someone else goes first!

Good luck and happy training.

thank you guys for the tips. I really do want about 3 or 4 ppl to go first. Iv never gone to a show before or seen one so im going by that. I know the basics and thats about it. He knows what he needs to know but im not sure how to all goes to gether. I also found out that we get to position ourselves whereever we want. Im going between a black and a grey. Or something that shows off coco's color.

Latest posts

Back