Update on Champ

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverDollar

Reaction score
For those following this case, I was able to get a bit more information. This afternoon I spoke with the Assistant State Attorney for Walton County, Florida, Mr. Gregory Anchors, who is one of the people working on the case to bring charges against the “alleged” abusers of Champ, the starved miniature horse from DeFuniak Springs, Florida.

After a pleasant conversation with Mr. Anchors, I have a renewed sense of optimism (albeit, cautious optimism) that there will be justice for Champ. I had a number of questions which he graciously answered. Here’s what I learned:

•  
  • The Sheriff has the warrant back and he is working to provide more detailed information and to put the finishing touches on it to resubmit it. It’s not clear yet whether they will go for the felony or misdemeanor charge.

• They expect to submit the revised warrant to the judge by the end of next week.

• He does not know if it will be the same judge(s) that will review the warrant.

• When I asked about the possibility of a change in jurisdiction due to a potential conflict of interest (since the “alleged” abuser works in the courthouse) he said that they don’t change the jurisdiction. The judge would need to recuse himself and it would be assigned to another judge but kept in the same jurisdiction. This is standard process.

• Since there were other “healthy” horses on the property, I asked about the food and water issue that tends to arise in my own experiences dealing with the authorities on the legalities of starving animals. He said that just because there is food and water on the premises doesn’t mean there can’t be abuse/neglect. (Whew!)

It sounds like the warrant was rejected due to technicalities and that the sheriff and attorney are working to be sure that the next submission is a “clean” one.

I informed Mr. Anchors that I am acting as a concerned citizen and horse advocate, and I find these matters extremely disturbing no matter where they occur and am compelled to act. He said that they take these kinds of matters very seriously and are doing everything possible to bring charges in this case. He has an animal abuse case going to trial next month that he’s been working diligently on so I'm taking him at his word.

I think it’s important for everyone to continue to voice their concerns to the officials and let them know that we are all watching this case. If you haven’t sent an email or fax, please do so. You may also call to voice your concern and support. Keep the pressure on.

Thanks for speaking up for Champ!

Judge David W. Green

Assistant/Paralegal: Doris

Phone: 1-850-892-8131

Fax: 1-850-892-8377

Assistant State Attorney Greg Anchors

Phone: 1-850-892-8081

Fax: 1-850-892-8083

Email: [email protected]

Sheriff Michael A. Adkinson, Jr.

Phone: 1-850-892-8186

Fax: 1-850-892-8422

Email: [email protected]

(A special thanks to rescue groups like Chances Mini Horse Rescue that take on the rehabilitation of such sad cases as this one.
default_wub.png
CMHR is dealing with its own little ones that were rescued from Kansas. Please offer your support to them as well!)

So now it seems it's a wait and see?

I've already e-mailed a thank you to the sheriff's e-mail for everything he's TRYING to do for Champ. I told them that folks in general were aware of his department's efforts.

I am wondering if the reason it was thrown out was because of an "incorrect" charge being filed for. If they filed for "Abuse" charges and were declined, perhaps they need to try filing for "Neglect" instead? I just don't know, but I thank you for getting the information and sharing it with the rest of us, and I sure hope and pray that they have it all figured out now, and that this WILL go to court and they will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law!

Thanks so much for the current update and info on Champ.Waiting with crossed fingers and a few more calls on this end.

Thurs. night here in S.Fl. a canine officer was shot ( he survived ) and his dog was shot and killed ( bullet hit just an inch out side his protective vest) and another police canine was run over by a car ( that dog survived )This happened during a robbery at a McDonalds......lets hope this judge can see!!

If, or when ,someone comes up with a fund site, or a Paypal account. to send money for the rescue and rehab of Champ, PLEASE post it to a separate new post. That way we will know that it is a new issue and we will be able to do something quickly.

That way we would not miss anything.

Go Champ
default_aktion033.gif

Thank you for providing the update and contact information. I will email Mr. Anchors and the Sheriff this morning and thank them for their continued effort to see that justice is done for Champ.

Thank you SO much for this update Rebecca! I have been over the top busy with several rescues coming into CMHR this week and have not had the time to call myself to try to help Champ, but I have been praying that justice is served and this little boy gets his second chance at life. Thank you for providing this update. God Bless all at Alaqua for helping this boy!

Thank you SO much for this update Rebecca! I have been over the top busy with several rescues coming into CMHR this week and have not had the time to call myself to try to help Champ, but I have been praying that justice is served and this little boy gets his second chance at life. Thank you for providing this update. God Bless all at Alaqua for helping this boy!

Yes, Thank you so much for updating us all - my internet at home is down due to our move and I feel soo out of touch. Hoping that Champ's many many supporters are able to "make a difference" and that Champ will live a long a happy life with a family that can and will love and care for him as he deserves. As much as I want to see the family that did this to him prosecuted, Champ's longterm wellbeing is foremost in my heart and mind.

Again, thank you for all your efforts in Champ's behalf - and sorry to be "out of the loop" -( we will be out of internet at home for a couple of months)

Stacy

Thank you SO much for the update... sounds a little more positive and that maybe this guy is staying up on it. Wishing for a better outcome this time!

Back