Update on Amy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
For anyone that might be interested in Amy's ordeal and the outcome.......

We have kept her very close. About 3 weeks ago we went to our friend's house at Amazing Grace Minis with Amy in the backseat of the truck and as Dan met us in the driveway, Amy had a very bad episode. There was that shock noise again, a very loud yelp as she flew off the seat. The first thing out of Dan's mouth was "Did she just get shocked on something back there?"

Since then, Amy has not had one episode at all to date. She was on a drug called BusPIRone 3 times a day, then 2 times a day, and now 1. She had the vet stumped and without doing an X ray of every inch of her body, we'll probably never know what the problem was. I was leaning towards a pinched nerve, or some kind of trauma to the head because I felt she also could have been having tiny seizures, even though a ton of blood tests did not indicate anything to suspect a seizure. Then there is still that shock factor and scary stuff I learned about stray voltage. Who knows?

Also we have been aggressive with remodeling the Munster House and I feel that this drug has helped Amy cope and almost desensitize her to the nail gun and screeching stupid noise of the saws and compressor, which by the way kills my ears too. It doesn't make her insane and frantic anymore, but she still doesn't appreciate the noise. We go outside or in another room and she copes instead of full blown loosing it.We also found out she does not like change at all. She has refused to go in the two bedrooms we remodeled for several days and then she finally went in and started napping in them. She has lost significant weight, 12 pounds during her ordeal so I'm back to cooking her food for her. All in all she is happy and doing well and is "normal" and playing all the time. I feel whatever was wrong, has healed on its own and worked itself out. I hope it stays this way. She's such a doll. Thank you for your support.

April30010.jpg

Thanks for the update Marty. Glad to hear she has improved and is playing again. Hope that whatever it was it is gone for good!

Lois

Really glad to hear that your girl is doing so much better, Marty! May the improvement be permanent!

Margo

I was wondering how she was doing. Thanks so much for the update and glad to hear things are getting better for her. What great news.

Marty back in my married days, my ex and I were professional dog show handlers and our breed that we raised was German Shepherds. One thing they can get and it on comes gradually is a disease of the spine that is spondalosis (sp). One of my top show bitches developed it and when she first started having problems she would yelp for what I thought was no reason. Towards the time I had to make the hard decision to let her cross the rainbow bridge she would yelp everytime she went up or down the stairs and even laying down or getting up. Ask your vet next time you talk to him and have him x-ray her hips and lower back area.

So glad to hear that things seemed to have improved for sweet Amy, and am praying that the improvement will be permanent.

Thank you so much for the update.

Latest posts

Back