Update: Miss Moonpie ****4/24 Baby Is Here!!!****

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well ladies, we stayed up pretty late last night and still no baby. She continued with her behavior I described last night. This morning she is still more pokey behaving than usual. I put her int he corral for exercise(and so I can clean her stall) but almost had to drag her there. Took pictures for you all to look over and tell me what you think.

CAM00861.jpg

CAM00862.jpg

CAM00863.jpg

CAM00864.jpg

CAM00865.jpg

CAM00866.jpg

You are going to see a baby before very long I think - she looks about ready from your pictures. You posted that you "stayed up pretty late last night but no baby", if this means that you were not right beside her ALL night, then please make sure you are from now on, it is just not worth the risk - both to the mare or the coming foal - to leave her alone now.
default_yes.gif

Good luck - I think you will be posting an announcement here very soon!

That "elongation" pictures shows she's really ready to go, so as Anna says, please don't leave her unattended. Udder looks good, baby forward of center....so there is nothing holding her back! She could go any minute and she may REALLY need you there. Certainly not worth the risk to miss being there if you're needed.

Keep us posted. I expect your announcement VERY soon!

I am happy to announce that around 12pm-2pm Moonpie delivered a healthy little colt. I know you all preached to me not to leave her alone but I was expecting a middle of the night baby. Ran to town and came back to a baby on the ground. I am very blessed that there were no complications and that she delivered safely on her own. He was already up on his feet when I discovered him, and I have observed him nursing and having a bowl movement. My vet is coming out in the morning to do a 24hr check on them both. I am so excited that the wait is over and we have a cute little baby. Now we have to come up with a name to call him.

As it looks now he appears to be a bay, but looking closer he has lighter color around his eyes so maybe he will roan out. His sire is a blue roan appy so I have my fingers crossed.

CAM00876.jpg

CAM00881.jpg

CAM00887.jpg

CAM00889.jpg

CAM00893.jpg

I can't get enough of him. Thanks you guys. I am a little concerned. Is it normal for him to be breathing a little raspy? He has sounded very congested since I saw him and I have watched him cough some too? Sorry, new momma syndrome is starting up again.

Here are some more pictures. Moonpie is a great mom. Very protective though. I have to watch how close I get or she nips or kicks at me. I like that she is a protective momma though, and she lets him nurse easily so that's great as well.

It's funny I think I am obsessed now. when I found him it scared me because he was lying all the way down and i was like omg his he alive. I ran into the stall and basically popped him on the side and he shot up. I then immediately ran to the house and called my sister and she asked me if we had a colt or a filly and I was like uh, I didn't check. I then dropped the phone and ran back to the barn to check. My sister was still on the phone and i ran back inside, yelled it's a boy over the phone and come over and hung up and ran back outside. I have been periodically going out and just staring at him. he is a little shy but such a beautiful little miracle.

CAM00902.jpg

CAM00904.jpg

CAM00903.jpg

As to the raspy sounding breathing, while not normal, it is possible he could have aspirated some birthing fluids on his way out. Keep an eye on him, and if he sound worse, get the vet out sooner, otherwise, have the vet check it tomorrow at your scheduled appointment. If I'm wrong on my thinking about this, the other aunties will call me on it.

It is most likely he inhaled some fluid during the time he was trying to get out of the sack. As Chanda said, watch him for any more signs of congestion, and have the vet listen to his lungs tomorrow to see if the fluid has collected. The coughing is probably from the irritation of the fluid in his lungs -- like when we get a "chest cold" and the fluid makes us cough to help clear it out.

He's a handsome little guy, and so glad you were lucky enough to have a healthy little one on the ground. You can just never tell with these ladies, and she was ready to go. Nothing says they will foal at night, so it's always important to keep watch constantly when they are as ready to go as she was last night.

CONGRATULATIONS!! He's a cutie!

Last edited:
Castle and Chanda,

I have been keeping an eye on him. So far the raspy sound isn't getting any worse and he is moving around and nursing well so I think he will be ok until the vet comes out tomorrow. He is so sweet but so very shy. He hides behind momma and peeks out at you. So Sweet.

Well congrats!! Such a cute little guy! Just loved following you and your mare until this beautiful birth...Thank you so much for keeping us all updated! So excited for you!!
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back