UPDATE - Hughs and Wallis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davie

Reaction score
Jan Tobey is on her way over to Ritas. We have several offeres to take the horses and I've been in contact will most of them. As soon as Jan talks with Rita then I'll get things moving as to where the horses can/will go (what Rita wants)--we have several folks here in OK that can take up to 10-15 horses each so that it great!!! Heart K has offered 10 stalls and can meet us at the OK/TX boarder which would be great for stallions (not sure how may Rita has at this time).

Lois from The Little Horse Barn is setting up an auction site for us so that anyone can donate either $$ or items. Most needed items right now are probably halters, leads, feed, buckets, etc.

If you go look on the Little Horse Barn link I believe you will find the infomation. Also I have left my address with Lois so that anyone who wants to drop a care package in the mail they can send to me and I'll be sure it gets to the person who needs it--if you want to go to a specific person please note that on the package, if not I'll send equally.

Talked with Lynda Wallis a few minutes ago and it looks like they are sending their herd down to friend in Texas as she said it will be months before they are ready to have the horses back, but she does need items for them before they go. Right now they are all OK out in her large pasture as the fences held.

Will keep everyone posted as best as I can. Having knee surgey tomorrow so probably won't be on the computer tomorrow but will be back by Friday and will be here all day today to help coordinate what needs to be done. Just let me know.

Care packages can be sent to me: Davie Killman, 9730 E Franklin Road, Norman OK 73026

UPDATE JUST MINUTES AGO: Jan Tobey, Charlotte Lupton, and Becky Schulz are at Rita's. They are assessing the horses as I was talking. Vet is there to ensure everyone is OK. On of the stallion (believe it is "Gold") is trapped in his paddock and they can't get to him due to all the debris. Jan said she will contact me as soon as she can and let me know what the plan is. For those who have offered pasture/stall space--please stand by.

Jan did say that they have been able to put up some small temporary pens but that is about it for now.

Will let everyone know as soon as I hear something else.

UPDATE AS OF 3:40 PM 4/25:Jan, Becky and Charlotte just left Rita's. They are wanting to keep the horses there at the house as long as they can. Neighbors have been over with temp fencing and portable panels and trailers and have made temporary pens using the trailers as shelters. All the stallions are in pens in the front yard.

Jan says that the pens where the stallions were is totally gone. The house is basically destroyed--all the furniture is still in the house but covered with Asbestos and the house is shifted off the foundation and walls are listing.

They have people there cutting through the woods to get to the horses that are trapped by debris so they can get them up closer to the house.

Vet has been out and for the most part all the horses are fine considering. Some scrapes and cuts and some eye ulcerations but nothing serious. Hugh is adament about the horses staying there. Right now Rita is still somewhat in shock and really has not come to terms.

They still will need lots of help with "HORSE STUFF" -- that has all disappeared. All the round bales of hay are gone. Becky and Charlotte brought over some feed and alfalfa cubes and that will help for a little while.

Jan took some photos and will put them up on facebook when she gets home.

So FOR RIGHT NOW. Everyone who has offered pasture and/or stall space is on stand down. I'm so proud of all of the Forum members who have rallied around our friends in need. They still need us but with help to replace "horse stuff". Guess I"ll be going through all my "stuff" and see what I can send to them--that is one thing I can do while I can't walk.

Please don't forget about The Wallis' as well.

Thanks again everyone who offered to take in the horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bless your heart!! You are doing an awesome job of keeping us up to date and handling this. Good luck with your surgery tomorrow! I will check out the Little Hoorse Barn. Again a Big Thanks and will keep the thoughts and prayers coming.

Davie- I am going to ask Weaver Leather if they will donate mini halters and lead ropes.

Last I knew, Rita's horses had been dry lotted for years. If any Forum members take in her horses, please be very careful. I'd hate for her to have to deal with founder on top of everything else.

I'm glad Lynda found a place for her horses.

Charlotte and I just returned from Rita and Hugh's. The area is pure devastation! What is left of their home will likely be bulldozed. All the homes in their area recieved major damage and I would guess most will be torn down.

Rita's horses fared way better than I would have expected. A couple with some eye injuries but that appears to be about it. Amazing they were all still alive!

Charlotte and I went to the feed store and took two truckloads of hay and feed. Plus feeders and buckets. Rita's plan is to keep the horses there if at all possible. There are temporary pens going up and fences being repaired today. I think her biggest needs right now are feed, hay and fencing. I'm sure Rita would appreciate any help along those lines. And of course, storage for those things as well as there isn't currently a dry place to keep them.

Stephanie, that was my concern as well. I left Rita a message telling her I could take in a lot of them but that they would be on very grassy pastures...told her if we put enough on it maybe they would eat it down fast. I don't have a way to dry lot them, I could make a pen for one stallion.

Thanks Davie for the update....the cell towers may be down around Rita's house. Hopefully we will hear from her soon on exactly what she needs...right now she is probably trying to savage things from her home and it was a beautiful home.
default_no.gif

Davie, could you post the pictures on the Forum? Surely I'm not the only one not on Facebook??

This is just horrible to read. I cannot believe the devastation! My prayers go out to all those folks and their beloved horses in such an overwhelming, tragic event. Please let us know where we can send money for supplies!

Leia

I looked at the LB auction board, but didnt see a place to donate. Is there a paypal account that I can donate to?

I looked at the LB auction board, but didnt see a place to donate. Is there a paypal account that I can donate to?
It is on the Little Barn Auction site.

Davie is handling it. YOu can make the check out to her if you want to divide the donation between Lynda and Rita, or make your check out to Rita or Lynda if you want it to go directly to one or the other.

Davie Killman

9730 E Franklin Road

Norman OK 73026

I just found all this out so that's how I know!

Latest posts

Back