UPDATE 7/11 MINIS IN MA Starved!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virginia

Reaction score
Hello, first of all I'd like to extend my sincere thanks to all that have offered assistance. Cindy Moss also send her thanks and appreciation to those mini people who have offered transportation and homes for these 30 some minis that are in need.

I'll summerise what has happened and what will be coming. On Friday, the judge, because he could not find any law that would allow him to confiscate the minis before the people are convicted of wrong doing, has allowed the minis to remain with the owners. Appx 20 of the minis have been moved by the owners to other homes. Cindy and her group do not know where they are. Eight minis remain on the farm. There will be a pretrial hearling on Aug 12th for the owners.

Here is Cindys last update.-------------------------

Today was very short and to the point, and I will spare all of you the melodrama and histrionics. The judge grows increasingly impatient (putting it nicely) with Mr. Arnowitz' antics and disrespect. Maria Kelleghan appeared for the first time, and the two were formally arraigned. Pre-trial hearing was set for August 12.

In the meantime, the fate of the horses remains in the hands of the people who have been criminally charged with starving and abusing and neglecting them. There seems to be absolutely nothing we or the state of Massachusetts can do about it. Does this make any sense? Is it logical or just or humane? No. But it appears to be the law of the land. And just where does the MSPCA fit into all of this? Just what is their function, if not to act in a case like this one?

We are not giving up, and we will continue to keep this case in front of the public, and in the hearts and minds of the equine community.

We would like to make another plea for an attorney to come forward to offer assistance. There are a couple of issues remaining that would benefit from legal advice. If you are out there, and can give us a few hours of your time and expertise, our rescue committee and the horses we are fighting for would be very grateful.

Thank you once again for your support. I promise to stay in touch and keep you updated as this case moves through the courts.

Cindy Moses

President and Rescue Committee Chair

Northeast Miniature Horse Club

CMHR has offered a matching donation of $500 towards hiring a lawyer if they cannot find one to donate their time.

I will keep you all apprised of any up dates and again thank all who have offered support, homes and transportation.

Ginny StP

Not sure if this will help but get in touch with Maine State Society for the Protection of Animals.ask for Marilyn. She is in Charge there. They are used to dealing with cases like this where the animals need to be removed before a conviction. They have been thru this many times and usually win. I know the case is in Mass but most states have similar laws you just have to find them.

The phone is 207-892-8007

Hope this might help

Mark

Contact www.harpsonline.org They wrote the books on laws and how to enforce them. They are located in Northern IL. Donna Ewing is the President. She will get something done or will at least point you in the right direction.

HARPS=Hooved Animal Rescue and Protection Society

Thanks to both Mark and Mcharr36, both suggestions have been forwarded to Cindy. They need all the help they can get.

Ginny StP

Well if the law is that those minis can sit out there and starve, it is RETARTED! That is sickning and it SHOULD be against the law for ANY of those minis to look like that and they SHOULD be removed! I hate the stupid law system! if its going to be like that there is going to be alot of minis starved and killed just because there is no law as simple as FEED YOUR HORSES!!

-Gage-

Latest posts

Back