Upcoming Canadian Election

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielle_E.

Reaction score
With the upcoming election have you already made up your mind what party you will cast your vote for or are you like me, in a quandry trying to decipher in all the "he said, she said" of elections as to who represents your values and what policies you would like to see be implemented. It's been difficult for the Conservative party because they didn't have a majority government but when I look at all the parties and the choice we have for a Prime Minister it scares me that anyone at this point could have a majority.

Also have you looked at the "Green Plan" the Liberals are proposing? I have looked at it and Ihave mixed reviews about it. Some things I like but other things I am concerned about higher cost of living happening as a spin off. I like Jack Layton (NDP) BUT it's the party that scares. Please do not feel that you have to say who you are voting for, it is your personal choice. I just want to understand what each party has to offer and if you can enlighten me on this it would be appreciated.

Our American neighbours are more than welcome to jump into the discussion if you have followed our politics and can help me make an informed decision.

Forgot, I should have added the websites

Conservative Party

Liberal Party

National Democrat Party

Last edited by a moderator:
I too like Jack Layton. I believe he is the most intelligent of our choices.. We both know that this will never happen.. Wish he was the Liberal leader..

I am afraid we are just having a wasted election to try for more conservative seats. By the poles being taken this is not happening either.. I think Layton

will get my vote anyhow... just to hopefully get a strong opposition party to hold the Conservatives in check...

I know nothing of Candadian politics so can you answer a question?

Does the Prime Minister have full control or is there a party like our Senate and House? Just curious.

McBunz, I hear exactly what you are saying. I have thought the same as you, vote for Layton more as a protest, lol, but what if we all do that, what then
default_new_shocked.gif
. We would all wake up the day after the election with an NDP goverment and Prime Minister, lol. I told my boss the other day that she should run for Prime Minister, lol. There is a woman running, May, and she is with the Green Party. What I don't particularly like about the Conservatives is they have not been "transparent" even though the Prime Minister said they would be. I would like to know exactly where our surplus has gone, what it was spent on, etc. I also would like to know what happened to his promise to fix the wait times at hospitals. I haven't seen a difference. To the Liberals I would ask Dion that I understand his Green Plan and I understand that he would cut personal taxes and taxes would go up for things such as diesel and such. I know for a fact that the trucking industry have said they can't afford to pay more in taxes (diesel). To me they would just turn around and up the price of products that they are trucking soooo I might save taxes but I will still have to pay in the end, one way or the other and perhaps more. Jack Layton to me is tooooooo liberal in his views and he makes it sound like we all can quit working and we will all be paid anyway and looked after
default_wacko.png
. So I am still confused. Maybe if Obama doesn't win he would like to move here and we could elect him as Prime Minister :). He reminds me a bit of Trudeau in personality. You either loved Trudeau or hated Trudeau but one thing I think we all agreed on, he sure made our politics interesting back then, lol. He liked to buck the establishment, lol.

You got that right.. Trudeau was a very intelligent man..maybe a bit of a smart butt at times..

He stood up to our southern neighbours when need be.. unlike our current tanned nosed leader..

I usually vote Liberal too.. but just can't see myself doing it this time.. The way the Liberals are going they won't even make opposition this go around..

Here in Alberta it is PC all the way.. I can't see Dion representing Canada to the world. I don't think he would say fuddle duddle to anyone.. LOL

You got that right.. Trudeau was a very intelligent man..maybe a bit of a smart butt at times..
But I kind of liked that about him... he did not back down to anyone - the press, Parliament, you name it.

Love him or hate him - IMO he was probably the best PM Canada has had. And yes - very intelligent.

Does the forum automatically censor smart butt?

Edit: yes, it does censor smart a s s !!
default_laugh.png

But I kind of liked that about him... he did not back down to anyone - the press, Parliament, you name it.

Love him or hate him - IMO he was probably the best PM Canada has had. And yes - very intelligent.

Does the forum automatically censor smart butt?

Edit: yes, it does censor smart a s s !!
default_laugh.png

default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
You both crack me up!!!

Oh I very much liked Trudeau and also thought he was one of the best Prime Ministers we had in this country. The other was Pearson, he did alot of good for this county and I think the one that did the most damage, so far, was Diefenbaker, probably the reason they threw him out of office before him time was up.

I met both Pearson and Trudeau. I was very young when I met Pearson. Myself and a young boy from another school were chosen to represents the "school patrols" of Canada and to meet with him. I was never so scared in my life, ROFL. We met him in his office in the Parliament Building of course. I have a picture somewhere in the house that appeared in the Ottawa Citzen way back then of myself and the other boy and Pearson standing around his desk.

Trudeau I met by chance. I was much younger as well and had gone to the "Santa" breakfast at one of the hotel/restaurants here in Ottawa. My husband, my neighbour and his young son, and myself and my son were sitting at a table, I was expecting for my daughter at the time and in walks Mr. Trudeau with his three sons and I believe his wife's brother.... Everyone was getting up and coming over to talk to him or get his autograph and I remember saying to my husband "can't they leave him alone, he is out with his kids for the Santa breakfast". Anyway at one point his sons were getting very rowdy, lol, and were hiding under the table and running around the table and you could see the frustration in his face as he was trying to reach under the table to grab them and get them to behave.
default_smile.png
. He then said "Why can't you be like the kids at the table next to us"
default_laugh.png
and I looked at him and said "they aren't always this well behaved, your kids are acting like these two usually do" and he laughed. He was a very charming man and he served Canada well for the 16 years in total that he was our Prime Minister.

After reading the Ottawa Citizen today I am going to lean, unless something major happens from now until voting day, to cast my vote for the NDP. The papers are saying a "majority for the Conservatives" so this is the only way I can see my vote making a difference in perhaps keeping the Conservative in with a minority only which will prevent them from perhaps taking this country down a road I don't want to see us go down.

You are right about Dion, he just isn't the best leader for the Liberals at this time and I think you will see a leadership change happen with them soon after the election. I also wish that Jack Layton was the leader for the Liberals because there are many of us who feel the same way about that man. There was an article in the paper the other day stating that the Premier of New Brusnwick is telling his province not to vote Conservative because of the many broken promises Harper has foisted on the people in New Brunswick.

Going to interesting to see if they get their majority or not.

Well I'm one of those who didn't love Trudeau (he was less than respectful to the west on MOST occasions altho I still think his 'salute' was amusing) but all the same I voted for him because he was a great leader (even when I disagreed with him lol) I have traditionally been a Liberal in federal elections but I can not see voting for Dion. I just don't believe he has what it takes to lead our country and represent us to the world (even less so does the green party leader who IMO is too much the housewife with lots of time on her hands) I WILL never vote NDP because I don't like what they stand for. Take a close look at what happens here in BC every time we end up with an NDP government , they are NOT good for business which is NOT good for the economy and so not good for anyone) All that being said I like Jack Layton best of all the candidates (still won't vote NDP tho) and I am sooo not impressed with Stephen Harper. The best case scenario in my opinion is another Conservative minority and maybe the NDP as the official opposition to keep Harper from getting to bold.
default_no.gif
I hope that by the time we see another election there will be someone who I can feel good about electing. 'sigh' I really HATE politics it is so frustrating.

Layton is the last one I would pick to vote for. IMO he is just CREEPY. Initially I wasn't keen on Dion, but the more I see of him the less I dislike him, though I don't think he is the right one to lead Canada at this time. My pick is Harper.

I agree Trudeau is one of the best we've had. There are none to equal him in this election.

Unfortunately we do not have the choice of "none of the above". Isn't it a shame with all the good people in Canada that our choices are so limited..

I have a feeling this will be one of the worst elections ever for voter turn out...

Well I'm one of those who didn't love Trudeau (he was less than respectful to the west on MOST occasions altho I still think his 'salute' was amusing) but all the same I voted for him because he was a great leader (even when I disagreed with him lol) I have traditionally been a Liberal in federal elections but I can not see voting for Dion. I just don't believe he has what it takes to lead our country and represent us to the world (even less so does the green party leader who IMO is too much the housewife with lots of time on her hands) I WILL never vote NDP because I don't like what they stand for. Take a close look at what happens here in BC every time we end up with an NDP government , they are NOT good for business which is NOT good for the economy and so not good for anyone) All that being said I like Jack Layton best of all the candidates (still won't vote NDP tho) and I am sooo not impressed with Stephen Harper. The best case scenario in my opinion is another Conservative minority and maybe the NDP as the official opposition to keep Harper from getting to bold.
default_no.gif
I hope that by the time we see another election there will be someone who I can feel good about electing. 'sigh' I really HATE politics it is so frustrating.
I know exactly how you are feeling but I just can't imagine a Harper majority at this time. I think it would bring us into dangerous territory. I could very well be wrong but.... I don't like the NDP Party BUT I don't want to see that Conservative majority get in and I do think that there is a strong possibility, because many feel the same way, that the best way to do that is to "protest vote" and help stop that majority from happening and I think having the NDP in opposition would be a good thing.

I am pretty mad as well that Harper called an election now, before the end of his term.

default_no.gif
I know exactly how you are feeling but I just can't imagine a Harper majority at this time. I think it would bring us into dangerous territory. I could very well be wrong but.... I don't like the NDP Party BUT I don't want to see that Conservative majority get in and I do think that there is a strong possibility, because many feel the same way, that the best way to do that is to "protest vote" and help stop that majority from happening and I think having the NDP in opposition would be a good thing.

I am pretty mad as well that Harper called an election now, before the end of his term.

I have to agree that a Conservative majority government would NOT be a good thing. On the other hand if too many votes are given to the NDP in protest we will all be protesting that we didn't want an NDP government ;) I don't know why but it just gets tougher and tougher to feel good about any vote I make. I miss the days when I felt confidant that my choice would be a good one. Now I just end up voting for the lesser of the evils. I know a lot of people who say they aren't going to bother voting since they won't cast their vote for someone they don't like. (I think that is counter productive but....)

Latest posts

Back