Understanding the Overo Pattern Share Photos & Information

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
Here is my Black Overo stud

Laurel Acres Double Vision

He is Homozygous for black gene and Neg For LWO.What else could he carry?

double20vision.jpg.w300h2401.jpg

He has had two foals so far when bred to solid palomino he had black pinto filly with blue eyes

When bred to sorrel pinto for homozygous tobiano he had a black pinto with blue eyes colt

2011 colt black pinto colt 2011 068.JPG black pinto colt 2011 032.JPG2011 foal dam is homozygous tobiano mare sorrel pinto brown eyes foal has blue eyes

2010 filly 025.jpg.w300h2251.jpg 2010 filly dam is solid palomino mare brown eyes

foal has blue eyes.

Elvis next foal is due May or first of june.

What pattern do you think his foals have?

Last edited by a moderator:
If your stallion is LWO neg then he is Splash.

All the foals are Splash and Tobiano mix.

Splash IS considered an overo pattern, as is frame. (LWO) You cannot get a frame patterned overo unless one parent carries (and passes on) that gene.

Overo is spanish for oval, as in "like an egg". The Overo pattern is Frame, (LWO) in which the dark color is that oval shape on the body, leaving the middle white (generally). Hence the name overo
default_smile.png

Technically, only Frame - LWO is overo.

But North Americans generally call any pattern other than Tobiano as "overo".

I've stopped doing that since I remembered what the word overo actually means
default_smile.png

WELL, at least that is what I was taught when I lived in CA. LOL

Overo is spanish for oval, as in "like an egg". The Overo pattern is Frame, (LWO) in which the dark color is that oval shape on the body, leaving the middle white (generally). Hence the name overo
default_smile.png

Technically, only Frame - LWO is overo.

But North Americans generally call any pattern other than Tobiano as "overo".

I've stopped doing that since I remembered what the word overo actually means
default_smile.png
I think on Elvis amha paper they put black overo on his papers

"overo" is an outdated and extremely misleading term only used in North America. I think it originated as a term for Spalsh/Sabino/Frame before it was realised that ALL pinto patterns are, genetically, totally separate. There is no reason to use it at all nowadays, as we are well on the way to being able to test for all the patterns. LWO will always lay claim to the term as it is intrinsic in the name, but Splash, Tobiano, Sabino and Dominant White are all quite separate genetically and should be treated as such.

I concur with the others in saying (whatever it says on the papers btw as I have absolutely NO respect for a registry that requires you to lie about the colour of your horse just to suit their computer) that your pretty foals are Splash basically, with Tobiano and possibly Sabino.

I agree with the others as well.

I concur with the others in saying (whatever it says on the papers btw as I have absolutely NO respect for a registry that requires you to lie about the colour of your horse just to suit their computer) that your pretty foals are Splash basically, with Tobiano and possibly Sabino.
I'm pretty adamant that horses should be registered as to what they actually are genetically. I have a 'solid' appearing white mare who is genetically a black pinto. She is solid whilte except for a little black in her tail and a black spot on one heel. I registered her as black pinto which she is. I now have a new foal who is bay with two hind stockings, a front sock and a coronet band. She is genetically a tobiano and I plan to register her as such. Not only do I hate seeing horses registered as colors they are not, I equally dislike seeing horses registered as patterns they are not!

I agree with Jane and the others, overo is a lumped together term that is outdated. Nowadays, overo is usually consider to be frame overo(LWO positive) splash is splash, and sabino is sabino. I still have my website up, but all the horses for sale have been sold. There are some on there that you can reference to www.forgetmenotminis.com sorry don't want to post photos as I no longer own them. The most interesting of the mares I had was Nostalgia's Nacho Baby. She was positive for LWO , and most would swear she was silver black, but it was the sabino at work, she was negative for silver.

To answer your question as to can you ever get a frame overo from a mare you breed Elvis to, the answer is yes. The mare needs to carry the frame overo gene(LWO positive). The good news, you never need to worry about breeding two LWO positive horses since your boy is still very loud but is LWO negative, you will never need to worry about a lethal white foal wven if you don't test the mares.

I don't understand the pinto genes all that well, but I agree with REO and the rest, so if Elvis is LWO negative

then he is not overo, but is splash for sure, and may well have other patterns mixed in. REO knows splash, that's

how her foals get those blue eyes!
default_smile.png

I have several horses with sabino too, Carolyn, and some I was sure were carrying silver, until I posted some of

them on the forum and was assured by several people that it was the sabino causing that color difference, not

silver. It's really interesting how it does that, and it makes for some unusual coloring. I learn something new

all the time on here, love it!
default_smile.png

I agree they all need to be called what they are genetically, but I still don;t see the harm in adding overo to the end if one prefers, as in saying Splash overo, frame overo and sabino overo. I'll continue to do so anyway, right or wrong, but then again, I live in North America.
default_yes.gif

Mona, I only just recently "went over to the other side" and I still think of those terms too. My North American brain hasn't totally switched yet, but I'm working on it! LOL
default_laugh.png

Well I know when I say sabino, I don't add overo to the end, sometimes I do though (but not always) when saying Splash/Splashed White and Frame. It all depends on what it is I am trying to answer to, or describe I guess, but I WILL ALWAYS in my mind, when in a discussion of overos, still hold Splash and Sabino as well as frame, all different patterns of overo.
default_yes.gif

BTW Robin, you are still referring to your splashed white horses as overo on your web site.
default_wink.png

Come over (o) to the dark side, Mona (and No, I am NOT your father!)

OMG Jane I was just about to say the SAME exact thing LOLOL!!!!!!

Yeah I know Mona, I need to update my site really bad. See? I told you it was a recent crossing over LOL

So far I've edited my LB signature..... several months ago, taking Overo off
default_hypocrite.gif

thanks everyone I would love to see frame overo, splash and sabino so we can compare
default_smile.png

Is the overo gene the one I had heard some about horses blind/deaf ?I don't know if I read or heard it right, but wanted to know if the LWO is the one you had to worry about blindness/deafness?

as far as I know, the only so called "overo" foals that are born deaf are splash whites. This isn't normally a common occurance, thank goodness. I've raised a number of splashes and only one was deaf. It seems to often be the ones with completely white or nearly completely white heads and white ears. I understand that in some countries (was is Australia???), most of the splash whites are deaf. Probably something to do with a small gene pool that started with only a couple of individuals carrying that pattern.

Back