Ultralite Whips

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathy2m

Reaction score
I need to order a new whip I've decided on the ultralite because the other ones for minis the shafts are not long enough. I measured like they said to from my hand to the saddle is 60 in. On their site the largest mini is 54 inches, they will make it any size you want, does 60 in. for the shaft sound too long? I know I'm sitting farther back from her in the Pacific. What size do you all have? Thanks, Kathy

I LOVE my ultralight whip. I got a 48" shaft with a 15" lash, which is what I prefer. I use mostly a Graber show cart and haven't even tried out my wooden wheeled carriage yet, but I think the dimensions are pretty similar. Our driving minis are all around 32-33". I based the size on a whip I already had.

The one that I got for the Pacific was longer also. I had one that I'd ordered for my Silver Penney cart, and that was too short. You definitely want it long enough to easily flick your horse's barrel without moving your hand forward. Two additional things to remember: You will probably hold the handle up toward the top so that it is more balanced. This effectively shortens the whip by several inches. Also, I ordered the shaft long enough for the saddle, then got a shorter lash (12"). There is also about a 6" tail on that so it comes out about 18". That is much easier for me to handle than the longer lash on my shorter whip.

This information is for pleasure and CDE showing only. If you are showing in the breed ring, you will have to carry one of those regular show whips.

I love the ultralite whips, they really are very nice.

AmywhoisheadingouttotheBeavercreekCDEtomorrowmorningandjustcan'twait!!!!!

I do love my Ultralite although I'm afraid I can't remember what my measurements are. One thing I like the most about them is that they're so well-balanced I actually don't have to hold it up at the top of the stock unless I want to. It's important to have a long enough lash to flick nicely but at the same time getting one that's too long results in it getting stuck in all those moving harness parts at the wrong moment. Eeek!
default_new_shocked.gif
Been there, done that.

I measured mine to be just in front of the saddle originally and that was a mistake as while I can signal his barrel for bending I can't flick his back when he's lagging, only his neck or withers. :DOH! No you aren't supposed to hit their rumps as it does cause bucking but he sure finds it easy to tune out flicking on his withers! I've wished more than once I could flick him on the hindquarters and a whip that went only to the saddle as they recommend would allow me to do that.

You'll like yours. They're so much more comfortable for people with small hands!
default_aktion033.gif

Leia

Good Afternoon,

Just a reminder about the length of your whips....

ASPC/AMHR 2008 Rulebook

Miniature Division....Part 12 Driving Division....page 254 #G

Driving whip, if used must be of suitable style, and the tip of the lash must not reach past the shoulder of the horse.

So, when you are sitting in your cart, you will need to measure the length including your lash to be sure it stops just at the shoulder.

Karen

Does ADS have any regulations on length of whip?

I, too, am ready to order a whip, but I'll be going by ADS specifications.

Thanks for the reminder about AMHR rules Karen, I think Kathy is planning on using her new whip for ADS competition. Ultralites are sold as carriage driving whips and generally aren't suitable for the breed ring (sadly) because of the unfortunate rule you mention. I know all of those who have replied so far do carriage driving and replied with that in mind.

Susanne, I don't believe the ADS has any rules regarding whip length besides the ones that cover not driving with unsafe equipment in general.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Leias right I am going to be showing ADS. I have a ADT planned for the end of Aug.

So Leia would you make the whole whip shorter or just the shaft?

I am so glad we're discussing this topic. I too am going to get an ultralite whip. In fact, I measured just this morning. Hand to saddle is 50". Saddle to shoulder is 15". What I can't figure out is if these measurements will be correct so that the whip will be balanced in my hand. I would REALLY appreciate any guidance you can give.

The Ultralite whips are very balanced, don't worry about that. That's what makes them so nice!

Leia

Latest posts

Back