Ulcers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi*

Reaction score
If a horse has ulcers and you treat it, are they likely to keep getting them for the rest of their life? I still don't know if this is for sure what Melodys problem was but since she is almost done with her meds I am a little anxious. Thanks

I was treating my weaners as they were being weaned for protection.

I think 85% or more horses do have ulcers and it can be confused with some colic symptoms

Yes you can get rid of ulcers with meds. Somethings used are just a bandaid and not a cure, but there are things like ulcerguard that are a cure. Don't know if ulcers are really a re-occuring thing usually if you attack the reason why the horse is getting ulcers in the first place.

Some causes are from stress, say in weaning or transporting or showing. Other reasons are roughage being withheld from a horse for too long. Roughage acts like a buffer against acid that is being released in the gut and when there is no roughage, you'll get acid built up. The chewing motion with saliva releases this buffer that helps against the acid build up. In other words, no chewing=too much gut acid

I have a weanling- full size- finishing up Gastrogard for his ulcers. He also gets 30cc Maalox before each meal to buffer acids. I'm looking at a product made by Foxden Equine called Tractgard to use until we get the ulcer a little more behind us. It provides prebiotics (the nutrients bacteria need to work in the gut) and an acid buffer, along w/ a few other things.

Do you have acess to some alfalfa hay?? This also helps when treating a horse for ulcers. Just a small amount each day can help.

Good luck!

default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back