Ulcers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LB27

Reaction score
It seems the most common treatment is Gastrogard, but I am having a hard time finding it. I've found Ulcergard, but I've heard that's not quite as good. Is the vet the only way to get it? How much typically does Gastrogard cost?

Actually they are the same ingredient and also the same amount is in each tube, the only difference is the instructions. In other words, same tube same ingredients, same amount, different labeling and dosage marks only. If you are looking at possible long term treatment or more than one horse to be treated I would consider this product instead. Note gastro gard and ulcer gard are both omeprazole...

http://www.abler.com...lcer-treatments Note the price does not look great until you realize that it is for 5 tubes or if you are like me I give omeprazole pretty often just in case and so order large amounts at a time and save money that way.

If you have ulcergard available to you now and your horse needs it now then get it. You heard wrong it is as good as gastrogard because its the same thing made by same company

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Gastrogard and Ulcergard are the same, just have different instructions so one needs a prescription (for treatment) and the other does not because it is for "prevention". You would give the same dose of either one to treat a mini, which is by weight, and often about 4 "notches" on the syringe per day. But whatever your vet told you. And yes, since you normally need to treat for at least a month, order several tubes.

If you know or suspect ulcers there are other things you can do to help. No sweet feed, which aggravates ulcers. Some grains might be OK, but I like alfalfa cubes (soaked) as an alternative to grain because they are high in protein, but mostly are high in calcium which has a beneficial effect on the stomach (think Tums). If you can't offer more frequent hay feedings, consider a slow feeder hay net such as the Busy Snacker, which is more like the way nature designed horses to eat - all the time. For a bad case of ulcers, ask your vet about Sucralfate, available by prescripion but much cheaper than Ulcergard. You can use both, but they can't be given at the same time because Omeprazole (Gastrogard or Ulcergard) inhibits the production of stomach acid while the Sucralfate needs acid to work. The Sucralfate (tablets that dissolve easily) should also be given before feeding, and works by healing the mucosal lining that has been damaged by the ulcers.

How long do ulcers take to develop? I've had my mini weanling for a couple weeks now. She was raised on pasture so she had no interest in grain when I first got her. After like a week she finally started eating grain although not as much as I wanted. She just seems to fill up on grass. I pen her up at night with grain and alfalfa cubes (softened) (although she has a little bit of access to grass still), but this last weekend she stopped even a little amount of grain. She doesn't seem to be too interested in the alfalfa either. I did worm her last weekend and don't think she was wormed before. Would you suspect ulcers or is it normal for her to take time to get used to a new diet? I'm planning to have the vet out if she doesn't start eating some of the grain.

If she was just weaned that is very stressful and can lead to ulcers. I would suggest that you try some Stomach Soother, which is just pureed papaya. It helps prevent ulcers and also helps stimulate appetite. I like to use it at weaning and any other times of stress. Worming might have been stressful, especially if she was not wormed before. Our foals are wormed every month and the rest of the herd is all on daily wormer.

I tried to check your others threads but did not see anything pertaining to it, so I hope you don't mind me asking.......do you have any others horses. ponies, or minis?

Just curious, the stress of going from a herd to a setting with no other equine companions can be extremely stressful esp. for a weanling. I would ask the breeder about the worming if at all possible, worming a horse or foal that has never been wormed can cause gastric upset if there was a parasite overload. Honestly, if she was use to pasture and hay, let her have it now, there is no harm in it, grain or ration balancers are great to offset lacking nutients or to add calories to a diet, but there is no harm in a largely forage based diet. As already said, grain can be very harsh on an already upset system.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have other horses but they are not mini's. My mini shares a fence line with them and they will often graze near each other so I think she is getting good company.

I haven't read this whole thread, but my friend just treated her full sized horse for Ulcers. Instead of Gastroguard, the vet suggested 1 gallon of Aloe Vera juice and 42 crushed Prilosec pills in the gallon of Juice. They have had a huge amount of luck with this mixture. Scoped horses after using for 30 days and ulcers cleared up as well as with Gastroguard. Shake really well before each use. The 1000 pound horse got 60 CC's orally 2 times a day. Obviously you would need to cut it down for a Mini. Haven't had a problem since finishing the 30 days with this horse. Reasonable and worked very well!

Jen

We use Aloe juice here for stomach irritation caused by a feeding tube. It works like a dream, is inexpensive, safe, and easy. Vet says it is ok, though I would check with your own. Normajean, thanks for posting..I was wondering about OTC people meds being used for equine if it's the same med. Just ask the vet about the dose to be safe..

Kind of the reverse..I know a lot of people who have issues with skin ulcers, pressure wounds that are hard or impossible to heal. The medications can be expensive..so much so they can't afford them even with insurance.I have seen Veteracyn mentioned as a saving grace on several websites.

Latest posts

Back