Ulcers, colics...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitney

Reaction score
Public release date: 6-Apr-2008

[ Print Article | E-mail Article | Close Window ]

[email protected]

504-670-5115 (New Orleans, April 6-10)

202-872-4400 (Washington, DC)

Michael Bernstein

[email protected]

504-670-5115 (New Orleans, April 6-10)

202-872-4400 (Washington, DC)

American Chemical Society

'Healing clays' show promise for fighting deadly MRSA superbug infections, other diseases

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minerals from clay could provide a source of powerful antimicrobials for fighting deadly MRSA infections and other diseases.

Click here for more information.

NEW ORLEANS, April 6, 2008 — Mud may be coming to a medicine cabinet or pharmacy near you. Scientists in Arizona report that minerals from clay could form the basis of a new generation of inexpensive, highly-effective antimicrobials for fighting MRSA infections that are moving out of health care settings and into the community. These “superbugs” are increasingly resistant to multiple antibiotics and cause thousands of deaths each year.

Unlike conventional antibiotics that are often administered by injection or pills, the so-called “healing clays” could be used as rub-on creams or ointments to keep MRSA infections from spreading, the researchers say. The clays also show promise against a wide range of other harmful bacteria, including those that cause skin infections and food poisoning, the scientists add. Their study, one of the first to explore the antimicrobial activity of natural clays in detail, was presented today at the 235th national meeting of the American Chemical Society.

Clays have been used for thousands of years as a remedy for infected wounds, indigestion, and other health problems, either by applying clay to the skin or eating it. Today, clays are commonly used at health spas in the form of mud baths and facials. Armed with new investigative tools, researchers are beginning to explore their health claims scientifically.

“Clays are little chemical drug-stores in a packet,” said study co-leader Lynda Williams, Ph.D., a geochemist at Arizona State University in Tempe. “They contain literally hundreds of elements. Some of these compounds are beneficial but others aren’t. Our goal is to find out what nature is doing and see if we can find a better way to kill harmful bacteria.”

In the new study, funded by the National Institutes of Health, Willams and her colleagues collected more than 20 different clay samples from around the world to investigate their antibacterial activities. In collaboration with study co-leader Shelley Haydel, Ph.D., a microbiologist with Arizona State, the researchers tested each of the clays against several different bacteria known to cause human diseases. These bacteria include MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus), Mycobacterium ulcerans (a microbe related to the tuberculosis bacterium that causes a flesh-eating disease known as Buruli ulcer), as well as E. coli and Salmonella (which cause food poisoning). The researchers identified at least three clays that killed or significantly reduced the growth of these bacteria.

The researchers are working to identify the specific compounds in the clays that may be responsible for its antibacterial activity. Using electron and ion microscopy, the researchers are also exploring how these antibacterial clays interact with the cell membranes of the bacteria in order to find out how they kill.

Williams and Haydel are continuing to test new clay samples from around the world to determine their germ-fighting potential. They hope that the more promising clays will be developed into a skin ointment or pill to fight a variety of bacterial infections or possibly as an agricultural wash to prevent food poisoning. Several companies have expressed interest in forming partnerships to develop the clays as antimicrobial agents, the scientists say.

But ordinary mud can contain dangerous bacteria as well as toxic minerals like arsenic and mercury, the researchers point out. Until healing clays are developed that are scientifically proven, which could take several years, handwashing and other proper hygiene techniques may be your best bet for keeping MRSA and other harmful bacteria at bay, they say.

###

The American Chemical Society — the world’s largest scientific society — is a nonprofit organization chartered by the U.S. Congress and a global leader in providing access to chemistry-related research through its multiple databases, peer-reviewed journals and scientific conferences. Its main offices are in Washington, D.C., and Columbus, Ohio.

— Mark T. Sampson

Heres the link:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/200...cs-cs031108.php

Wow that is cool. I hope we hear more soon and have access...

I am not surprised.

Have you heard of Bentinite clay?? Apparently indians used to use it to heal.

I know the Bentonite powder (get at health food store) is great for babies rashes. It is great! My daughter always had urinary tract infections and her bottom was always broken out, no matter how much you changed her. The Bentonite was the only thing that kept her rash free..

Also you can use Bentonite to fill gaps like on your pond or lake burm. It fills in the cracks..

During my year long "gut bug", all 6 of my horses had it, kaolin and bentonite kept them ALIVE.

Others here on the forum lost horses with the same symptoms.

1 of my 3 Vets said it was all in my head (after 3000.00 worth of vet tests that came back with nothing) AND I was giving my horses ulcers. They would not/could not believe that the kaolin was making them symptom free.

You can get Kaolin or bentonite from Uckele Horse Supplies. Its in bulk I bought a 50 lb bag of kaolin for 30.00 and the bentonite was slightly less. The Minis only got a heaping tablespoon twice a day. My barn will NEVER be without it.

Heres a link to the researchers and talks about the study

http://sols.asu.edu/sols_news/43_news_06.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I also remember you ranting at someone because their colicky horse was being treated for impaction & you insisted the horse should be treated as per your experience, and not for impaction colic. The horse in question later passed the impaction and recovered.

It pays to remember that just because a treatment is good and worked for some, doesn't mean that it is the right treatment in every case.

Kudos to you, Kim, for being so diehard in your research. Lord knows we sure appreciate it, based on what we've been through.

I've printed both articles and am going to fax to our vet. I know she will appreciate them.

Good going, girl!!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Hugs,

Tam

During my year long "gut bug", all 6 of my horses had it, kaolin and bentonite kept them ALIVE.

Others here on the forum lost horses with the same symptoms.

1 of my 3 Vets said it was all in my head (after 3000.00 worth of vet tests that came back with nothing) AND I was giving my horses ulcers. They would not/could not believe that the kaolin was making them symptom free.

You can get Kaolin or bentonite from Uckele Horse Supplies. Its in bulk I bought a 50 lb bag of kaolin for 30.00 and the bentonite was slightly less. The Minis only got a heaping tablespoon twice a day. My barn will NEVER be without it.

Heres a link to the researchers and talks about the study

http://sols.asu.edu/sols_news/43_news_06.php
Whitney, could you describe the symptoms of the "gut bug" you were dealing with? Was it colic or bloat or what?

I just ordered calcium bentonite clay for myself the other day. Had tried a sample of it after reading a book on what it can do, and I'll say it's worth a try. The claims are that it can cure just about everything that ails us - have to take that with a grain of salt until I see for myself
default_smile.png
but I do believe it's beneficial. This is a super pure clay, much much pricier than what's quoted here. What I ordered I couldn't afford in horse quantities but this I will try. Too early, can't remember the terms, but the jist of what I read is that the clay pulls toxins from your body.

Jan

I just went to Uckele's website and could not find anything under "clay" or "bentonite". How did you find it listed, or where?

Minimor I am sorry you viewed my suggestion as a rant but I was watching MANY horses die on this forum with this gut bug and felt helpless. I still believe that many could have been saved if they would have believed my experience. But I can understand why they didn't. One voice is just that one voice and I too would like to go with a majority or a vet (I had 3 working on the bug), in life or death matters. There are a few that took my suggestion and gave a high enough dose of the kaolin to save their horses. I pray that the research continues so many horses can be saved.

I tried to prefaced my suggestion with, make sure first it is not an impaction.

The gut bug creates colic which produces PAIN, and that makes a horse want to roll. Which CAN twist a gut, or eat sand which produces a secondary situation.

I have an open mind and have taken the advise of one voice which helped with the skin crud, THANKS Erica.

I hope more people will voice their experience and not be affraid of being labeled a "ranter", I for one will be listening.

wildoak you have to ask for it. Its not listed on their website/catalog. Its a bulk product. I like the consistency of the kaolin better it disolves in water easier. However my research shows that bentonite is stronger acting. By the time I gathered the info on bentonite my guys were out of the woods but I bought some anyway so I can't tell you if it works better or not.

mdegner the best way for you to get all that information is to use the SEARCH option and type in Kaolin and

user name Whitney. It has been over a year now that I went through it and I don't want to forget anything. I posted everything that I went through including the symptoms.

Thanks for updating us with this valuable information! I have liquid Kaolin on hand and now I'm even happier that I do. Seems like it's one of those things that certainly isn't going to hurt and may well help in many cases.

But as I see you stated in previous posts re: colics, stomach issues, etc. - it's always best to contact your vet first!
default_wink.png

mdegner the best way for you to get all that information is to use the SEARCH option and type in Kaolin and

user name Whitney. It has been over a year now that I went through it and I don't want to forget anything. I posted everything that I went through including the symptoms.
Thanks, will do! I'm also dealing with something that sounds similar and not getting sufficient answers

Wow....good information. I did what you suggested and am intrigued by what you discovered. Mine has never had the runs but was bloated (I'm the one that had the thread going a few weeks ago about reducing belly.....). We did end up having the vet come out and he said he had spastic colic and possible intestinal unbalance (??). Oddly enough, he thought we were feeding him too much....He took stool (no worms) and he took blood. Discovered he had a low red blood cell count (white cell is fine) and some liver enzyme issue. He suggested we give him echinacea once a day for a couple of months. He's acting better but still appears bloated to me. Was that a symptom of any of your horses? Are there any downsides to Kaolin that you are aware of? Ever heard of giving a horse echineaca before??

mdegner sorry its taken so long for me to answer. I have not read your previous post about reducing belly but yes, my mini mare blew up like a balloon, she was on triple crown lite and grass hay, one of my vets told me the same thing (she was fat) but what didn't jive was her neck and hips were sunk in. All I can tell you is don't let them give your horse tribrissen when I gave my mare that she got projectile poop and I about lost her. I can give you a LIST of the drugs we tried but unfortunately none worked and in some cases made things worse.

Funny thing with kaolin or kaopectalin is it's for diarrhea. HOWEVER all my 6 horses were on it and it NEVER change the consistency of their stools.

This is what worked for me. No grain of ANY kind. All my minis are 32"-33". 1 cup of alfalfa pellets/cubes soaked and 1 heaping tablespoon powdered kaolin, if using liquid 35cc, and nice grass hay, twice a day.

If they get diarrhea use the EXTRA strength Pepto Bismal 35cc every 6 hours until they firm back up, it took about 2 days.

If they go off feed I have a receipe that they would eat and it kept enough water in them. I've learned from alot of LilB members that you don't want a mini to ever go without eating/drinking sets up a whole set of other problems. Let me know if you need the receipe.

Good Luck and Prayers

Whit

mdegner sorry its taken so long for me to answer. I have not read your previous post about reducing belly but yes, my mini mare blew up like a balloon, she was on triple crown lite and grass hay, one of my vets told me the same thing (she was fat) but what didn't jive was her neck and hips were sunk in. All I can tell you is don't let them give your horse tribrissen when I gave my mare that she got projectile poop and I about lost her. I can give you a LIST of the drugs we tried but unfortunately none worked and in some cases made things worse.

Funny thing with kaolin or kaopectalin is it's for diarrhea. HOWEVER all my 6 horses were on it and it NEVER change the consistency of their stools.

This is what worked for me. No grain of ANY kind. All my minis are 32"-33". 1 cup of alfalfa pellets/cubes soaked and 1 heaping tablespoon powdered kaolin, if using liquid 35cc, and nice grass hay, twice a day.

If they get diarrhea use the EXTRA strength Pepto Bismal (thats a stronger type of clay) 35cc every 6 hours until they firm back up, it took about 2 days.

If they go off feed I have a receipe that they would eat and it kept enough water in them. I've learned from alot of LilB members that you don't want a mini to ever go without eating/drinking sets up a whole set of other problems. Let me know if you need the receipe.

Good Luck and Prayers

Whit
Thanks Whitney. I still think I'm going to try it. If for no other reason than to try and restore some balance to his irritable bowel and intestinal system. It's hard to tell with him because he is only 9 months old and he's 26 inches. Very small......When you look at him from the back--his butt is pretty developed--he looks pretty good. From the front, with his extremely narrow shoulders, he looks like he swallowed a basketball. His stool is very black and somewhat dry, more so than our other horses. His spirits are good though, nice and naughty like a 9 month stallion should be and he loves to eat, so . . . We have a big horse show this weekend in Sioux Falls, so we'll talk to others there and see what they think. Thanks again for the response and I'll let you know how it goes. Now I just have to find a distributor here in central MN.....Best, Mary

Did your vet test for blood in the stool?

Make sure your guy is getting at least 1% of body weight in water a day, soaking feed will help with water intake.

Is he rolling, picking up sticks, rocks, curling his lip or yawning more than normal?

Did he ever have itchy skin with hair loss?

I've also found that taking the mini mare off of any type of ration balancers has firmed up her stool.

Did your vet test for blood in the stool?

Make sure your guy is getting at least 1% of body weight in water a day, soaking feed will help with water intake.

Is he rolling, picking up sticks, rocks, curling his lip or yawning more than normal?

Did he ever have itchy skin with hair loss?

I've also found that taking the mini mare off of any type of ration balancers has firmed up her stool.
He's not rolling or picking up sticks or anything like that and the vet did test for blood in the stool. He has never had loose stool. He definitely has a drier skin but hasn't lost any hair. In fact, he's very hairy but definitely rubs on things and has some dandruff. What is a ration balancer? We do give him a cup of soaked beet pulp with each meal but maybe I should soak all his feed? He's always been a little bit of pain. Had a bad cough and runny nose during a portion of the winter (course, with those northern winters we have in MN and MI, it's not a wonder) and was on a sulfa drug for awhile. It's like he's got a weaker immune system which is why I think the vet recommended eachineaca (sp?).

Very cool research, thanks for posting!

On the irritable belly topic, I've been finding that chopped alfalfa (the processed kind, Alfa Supreme I think it's called) twice a day is helping my mare feel better and clean up her feed. I had used antacids, cimetidine, ranitidine, you name it - and after the last round of ranitidine, I started the alfalfa, and she's been doing a lot better.

I'm going to try some bentonite or kaolin, too, though. Always good to have a new trick in the magic hat...

A ration balancer is a high power vit/min/protein (usually pellet) some examples are Gro N Win, Triple Crown 30, Born to Win. Used for horse not on grain.

I would soak everything you feed him except the hay, the more water you get into him may help the dry turds.

Your guy doesn't have any sores inside his mouth does he? Does he chew hay and then spit it out (quid)?

I think the bloated belly could be edema from an ulcer.

Marty didn't you have a foal with an ulcer? Did he have a bloated belly?

I personally don't think bloated bellies mean worms now days especially if you worm regularly. I can tell you I did every kind of wormer available (per the vet) including the 5 day panacur and it did NOTHING. I also had fecals done before I wormed they were negative.

A ration balancer is a high power vit/min/protein (usually pellet) some examples are Gro N Win, Triple Crown 30, Born to Win. Used for horse not on grain.

I would soak everything you feed him except the hay, the more water you get into him may help the dry turds.

Your guy doesn't have any sores inside his mouth does he? Does he chew hay and then spit it out (quid)?

I personally don't think bloated bellies mean worms now days especially if you worm regularly. I can tell you I did every kind of wormer available (per the vet) including the 5 day panacur and it did NOTHING. I also had fecals done before I wormed they were negative.
No, we don't feed any ration balancers. Just Purina Equine Jr, dry rolled oats, soaked beet pulp and hay. He has no sores in his mouth. We'll start soaking everything. e definitely doesn't have worms and we do worm regularly. Thanks!

No, we don't feed any ration balancers. Just Purina Equine Jr, dry rolled oats, soaked beet pulp and hay. He has no sores in his mouth. We'll start soaking everything. e definitely doesn't have worms and we do worm regularly. Thanks!
I went on the Uckele Website and was looking at their products. In your previous posts, you mentioned that bentonite and kaolin is something you have to call for but before I do, have you ever used the G.U.T or the AbsorbAll products??

Latest posts

Back