Ulcer treatment & worming

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverrose28

Reaction score
I have a stallion being treated for an ulcer, he is on gastrogard, watered down alfalfa cubes and allowed to graze. He won't eat any grain as of now. I forgot to ask the vet about worming him, he will be due for a worming in two weeks. Do you think I should go ahead and worm him with something like panacure, strongid, and do you think ivermectine is too strong and should hold off using it until next time. I usually worm every 8 weeks and he is due for ivermectine, but I do have some strongid i can use or should I just forgo the worming altogether and wait until he is well? I think I was too uspset to ask my vet all of these questions when I spoke to her, although I can always call her back. What do you all think as I value your opinion. Thanks!

I recently went through major ulcer issues with one of my stallions. I gave him soaked purina senior, and alfalfa at the beginning, he got so bad that he wouldn't eat alfalfa at all.

But as far as your question, yes I did do the 5 day double dose of safeguard with him. He also had been on a regular worming schedule, but one of my vets recommended it. I also did the sand clear, (which where I live, I have never had a problem with that), but she recommended it.

My boy was on ulcerguard and zantac for some time... he continued to get worse, to the point that i thought I would going to lose him... I added Aloe Vera juice and oat flour (which he is still getting) then after giving him Sucralfate 4 times a day for 10 days, he started to get better.

He also has been on Succeed for awhile now and I will continue to keep him on that.. It is expensive, but he is really looking good.

I have had horses for a long time, but this was my first experience with ulcers, and his were really bad, (in fact it turned out to be hind gut ulcers for my boy) Besides working with 2 different vets... I got alot of really good advice from alot of friends. (that I still cannot express my gratitude)

My recommendation would be to have a fecal done and worm him only if he needs it, he does not need the balance upset right now if there is no need. Fecals are not expensive, am always suprised people do not use them more.

I agree with the fecal, why worm if it's not needed. Just adding more chemicals that could potentially set him back. it's $20 to get one done where I live.

This is going to sound crazy...but my stud colt had an ulcer...I looked into alternative treatments that were natural over chemical/drugs. I read they have found that lecithin works wonders. So I looked into foods that are high in lecithin and eggs were one...now I know eggs are eggs but I have heard many people say their horses get into their coops and gobble up their eggs...so obviously when left to their on devices they will eat them. My stud was lifeless, would eat but had NO energy, dull coat and losing lots of weight. He was always a FIREBALL before. I mixed a raw egg into a small portion of flax seed and oats and within 2 days he was back to his normal crazy self, after being dull for months. He gained weight back and is just as good as can be...kid you not, two days. My friends dog also got into chocolate this past Christmas season and got very ill and vomited for days and days after. I thought maybe the egg might settle her stomach too...I suggested they try it, they gave her one raw egg and she never threw up again and was bouncy again the next day. If you are too repulsed by the thought of giving your horses raw eggs, look into lecithin for horses with ulcers (net search). They have had GREAT results with it, you can give them soya lecithin granules. Ulcers are tough, good luck.
default_smile.png

Back