Ulcer Question..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcwallis

Reaction score
Does a horse always lose it's appetite if it has ulcers?

I think the short answer is "no" but what are you really asking? Often they will eat hay but not eat grain. But a lot of horses are found to have ulcers when scoped (according to studies), so I would say there must be many that aren't showing symptoms.

I have a mare that had a rough year.. She needs some weight... I'm calling the vet tomorrow because she eats lots but doesn't seem to gain weight. We had her teeth done last May, sand clear, wormed... we are feeding 12% and 1/2 flake of alfalfa 3 times a day... she basically has alfalfa in front of her almost all day..

I just treated a mare for ulcers. She wasn't scope but she showed many signs of them. She wouldn't eat. Was losing weight. Very eager to eat. Would paw and want to eat but wouldn't. Foamed at the mouth. Called the vet who agreed with me that it sounded like ulcers since her teeth were just checked. Treated her with Gastroguard and ranitidine. After a few days she started eating. She just finished her month of treatment and has been great. My mini doesn't eat hay. She won't touch the stuff. No matter what it is. But she will graze and did during her episode before treatment.

Have you ever power wormed her? Is there any chance her teeth were not done correctly?

she doesn't drop feed and her poop looks normal... No I've never power wormed her... What is a power worming?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just wondering what you mean by feeding 12%? As in 12% what type? What kind of feed are you feeding, how much of it, are you weighing it, and is this a quality feed? How many times a day do you feed? Is she fed alone or with other horses?

she doesn't drop feed and her poop looks normal... No I've never power wormed her... What is a power worming?
Power worming would be a double dose of fenbendazole for 5 days in a row. A little more info here but any brand of fenbendazole equine wormer should work. http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e07fed-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

***If she is extremely thin or is ill then you should ask your vet if this would be safe for her or if she should be wormed with something less harsh like safegard first.***

Good Luck

Latest posts

Back