Ugh skin problem with Sadie [Pics added]

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystalsowner

Reaction score
Ugh I am so frustrated. I recently, about a week ago got Sadie. She had some small spots of hair lose on her neck. The lady that I got her from said the mare she was in with was biting her and leaving marks. Sadie also had some "shave" spots on her butt. Well since she got here there are more of these hairless spots coming up, and she is penned by herself. The "shave" area on her butt is growing, Im guessing is is butt rubbing to cause this. She is shedding a lot of her coat all over, but it has been warm here lately im in the warmer parts of AZ. I wormed her, and bathed her. [she was very dirty and has flakey skin] I wanted to take care of that. Used some fungal, antibotic spray I had before on the spots on and near her butt and it seemed to help. Things seemed to be getting better. I got some lice and mite powder was gonna put that on her as well because she has a bad coat and was butt itching, figured it couldnt hurt her being new here. But I was brushing her out tonight I lifted her mane and underneath her mane is a very raw large area.Its like she lost hair and some skin!! No bumps no scabs just raw skin. This little gal came to us very scared and stressed. She was at the home before us for three days, then had to move again. Could this be stress related? Or poor nutrition? These have been suggested. She has an overall poor quality coat. I have the vet coming out, just cant get him out right away because we are rural, but he told me dont panic. LOL I am a worry wart.

Oh and I also noticed the hair on her neck had come out in "matts" that were in her mane. Not sure if this matters but thought id add. Could this be two different problems? Cause the spots on her butt area look a lot different then her neck area

Update

Most of the the spots on Sadie have healed up. Heres the pics of what she still has. I know they are kind of blurry but I thought id post them. I dont know if you can tell but its not bumps its skin coming off on one of the pics.

The red tint is from the medicine. But the spot on the neck is a bit red and irritated. I took the pics before I cleaned it up because I wanted to show how it looked before cleaning it up. Cause it looks less irritated after I clean it up.

The neck wound worries me the most. Its the only one not healing. The other is the same mark and is on her shoulder.

neck.jpg

shoulder.jpg

shoulder 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You are doing the right things, worming, bathing, powder,.....it could be ring worm, which is a fungus not a worm at all. It tends to present itself in circular patches of hair loss, and can be raw in some instances. She may need a vet to do a skin scraping to determine if it is fungal and severe enough to require an oral antifungal med. the vet is right, don't panic, she has gone this long, you are addressing the problem and it will get better. You can treat the raw area by cleaning it with a chlorexadine solute (ESP if it is a gummy weepy area, it will help to dry it up ) I swear by blue cote but it does not look pretty, vetracin is another item that will clean it up, wonder dust will put a coating over it like a scab and it's ingredients are anti microbial. None of these take the place of a good vet check, but they may give you some reassurance that you are trying to prevent it from worsening.

We have seen ring worm before and I dont think this is it. None of the bald spots are circles. Thank you for the info. Im trying to be calm but it was just a shock to lift her mane and see that raw large area. My friend that came with me said she noticed a spot under her mane when we first saw her, so many its just an untreated spot? Not sure.

Everything that Carolyn said.

And it certainly could be caused by poor nutrition and stress and left out in all kinds of weather. Give her time.

Last edited by a moderator:
My bigger horse went through a "skin condition" when he went through his spine episode and dropped a considerable amount of weight due to his body trying to cope with the stress and problems. As soon as he started to recover his skin slowly started to get better. But also we were now feeding him weight builder, corn oil and beet pulp to stop his weight from dropping more and more; hay and grass just wasnt cutting it at the time. I was also bathing him a few times a week with micro bacterial shampoo as well as treating the areas with other fungal products on top of it.

Most of the time conditions as Marty said above is give it time and just keep treating it.

Good new!!I went out to check her today and clean and treat her spots and the spots on her butt have nice healthy looking short hairs coming through!! This is where it all started, so Im thinking its working. I had a vet tech that lived in the area come by and they guessed the spot on her neck was fungal. The spots are her butt are hard to see with the new hair growth now.

Thank you all helping calm a worried "mommy" LOL.

I can understand the worry and frustration with it. My boys it just seemed like it wasnt getting better and a new spot/place was popping up every 3 days or so. Finally over time as his body regulated itself to normal again is when I saw progress and the spots starting to go away and nothing else developing; definitely was a sigh of relief.

I have been having this issue with my insulin resistant mare, and at first I thought it was ring worm and not having success. I did some research and decided it was the bacterium 'dermatophillus' which means rain rot. She had the hair loss shapes of looking like a paintbrush and leaving bare raw areas. Treatment was chlorhexidine and now she is clearing up and hair coming in, I don't know why I didn't use it before because I am a huge fan of using it on wounds and newborn navels.. We have been having so much rain along with the cold and don't dare giving baths, so I have just been treating the many spots, including the legs. I had an area under the mane as well, and it was so large and surprising to me. Glad you are seeing improvement on your horse!

Thank you for posting. We are pretty sure that it is not rain rot. We looked into this when it first started and it doesnt seem to fit. What happens doesnt fit. And I live in AZ and we havent been getting rain at all. It says its commonly on their legs the most. She doesnt have anything on her legs. We have not totally ruled it out because we dont know yet.

Hope your mare continues to do well. This is all scarey when its going on.

Scratches, rain rot, and ring worm, among other such issues, are fungal. Much of the same treatment follows suit. Glad to hear it is improving. Keep it dry, clean and treat it topically as well as a good diet I am sure she will be as good as gold in no time.

The story I am telling is not good. I had a mare that started losing patches of hair. Mostly on her face and then on her body. It was not just the hair but also the top layer of skin. Took her to the vet and they could find no signs of parasites or anything else. They determined it was an auto immune problem of undetermined origin. Her liver count was elevated. After about a month of very expensive antibiotics, steroids and skin salve we thought she was getting better. Then one day she crashed. Unsteady on her feet and obviously in distress. Midnight run to the vet and her liver count was super elevated (over 700), her breathing was labored and she couldn't stand. We had to put her down.

Hope this isn't your case. Good luck.

So sorry that happened to you and your horse.
default_sad.png

All the spots are showing signs of getting better poor pony looks so funny/cute right now. Her mane goes to both sides and so we could keep the spot by her mane clean and dry we had to pull the mane all to one side and made pony tails!!! Its so cute LOL. They are orange cause those are the ones my daughter would part with.
default_smile.png
I did find out her mane on top when over to one side it quite beautiful!! Has three different colors!! She is gonna be soooo cute all fixed up. Shes already "filling out" since I got her.

Scratches, rain rot, and ring worm, among other such issues, are fungal. Much of the same treatment follows suit. Glad to hear it is improving. Keep it dry, clean and treat it topically as well as a good diet I am sure she will be as good as gold in no time.

Hehe I knew that. Not sure why it slipped my brain, or maybe it was just my wording that was wrong. I dont think it is that particular kind of fungas rain rot. Thanks for reminding my
default_smile.png

Eqyss makes a Micro Tek Shampoo/ leave on treatment as well as a spray. When I clipped my filly almost two weeks ago, she had little spots all over her neck and shoulders mostly. We had treated her for lice about 2 weeks previous as one of her pen buddies had them, so we treated them all. I used the micro tek on her and left it on and she had improvement overnight, and new healthy hair growing with in a few days. We also used it on the big bald patches the other mare had rubbed on her neck, and she is looking much better too!

Just for future reference, as it looks like your is well on the mend now
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back