Ugh!! I have a call into the vet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theresa, What did the vet say? Is Dreamer ok?

The vet just left....Her temp is at 100.5 She only has the swelling on her left side of her jaw and some going down her neck. It is hard as a rock. He thinks it is possibly the early stages of strangles, but definately a staph infection of some sort.
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif
The side she had the last IV and the nose bleed from (her left) is the side that is swollen...hummm. Dr. Major from Oakridge said that he wanted to go straight to pennicillin and skip the SMZ. That her system is in too fragile of a state. She is getting 10cc penn 2 x a day, heat on the area 2 x a day for 5 days. By Monday if she is no better or has gotten worse before then, he will come back and lance it.
default_no.gif
But said she will be on penn. for at least 10 days.

Dr. Major said if it was a staph infection from the hospital, he thought it would have happened 4-5 days from discharge. But it is possible. So now the 2 of them are confering with each other as to her treatment. God I hope that they don't have to cut on her!!!! She has been thru enough. Art is stopping and getting gallons of bleach, spray bottles. We have our work cut out for us tonight..

Miranda>>>> He checked her before her did Dreamer. She is good to go when she is darn good and ready!
default_wacko.png
default_frusty.gif

http://www.wefoal.com/_2008/rockinr/cam.htm

Oh no! Poor baby!
default_sad.png
That's not fair! She's been through so much already!

{{{hugs}}} to you all. I'm so sorry.
default_cheekkiss.gif

Theresa,

I am so sorry little Dreamer is having problems - sounds like you and the vets are on top of it - she has come toooooo far to have any set backs. We are keeping you and Dreamer in our prayers!

Also hugs and prayers for that gorgeous Miranda (Miranda is the last thing I check before going to bed, when I get up during the night and the first thing I check in the morning) One of these times I just know there will be an adorable little filly in with her!!!
default_yes.gif

Poor little Dreamer - not to mention poor sleep deprived already Theresa & Art - hope she gets better soon. None of you need any more problems when you've already been through so much. Lots of prayers coming your way.

And Miranda - you need to pop - NOW!!!! Everyone will feel better.

Barbie & Dawn

Theresa, so sorry poor Dreamer is having problems. Hugs to you and her, you've all been through so much.

Im so sorry for all you guys and dreamer have been through. Sending more prayers

I am so sorry to read this. Sending lots of prayers for a quick recovery. Poor Girl! You and Art try and get a little rest too.

HUGS

Dreamer is stronger than this thing. She has already been tested to the max. This is gona be just another bump to get over. You and Art are the ones that are gona need to continue to be strong for your girl and I know you can do it. My thoughts and prayers are with you. You all be sure to stay healthy for your girls they need you. I hope you have some local help to give you a bit of a break from this constant stress level.

Prayers going up for Dreamer.

Maybe it's God looking out over that baby of Miranda's, she is safer inside than out right now. So maybe that is why Miranda hasn't given her up to the big wide world yet?

God bless dear Theresa your such a sweet heart you must gonna receive a major blessing out of all this hard work, unconditional love and dedication to your animals!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is 1120pm and we just got finished scrubing the mare barn. Thank God Art loves these little horses as much if not more than I do. We are beat to say the least! One of my bosses saw us on the cam and emailed me and told me to stay home tomorrow and get some rest. I probably will. Or I will go in late. Im telling you there is not one square inch of that barn that was not scrubed with bleach water. Can someone tell me what to expect if it is strangles? All our years of owning horses and we have never had strangles. Now that the initial cleaning is done, do we do scrub every night, or do we spray everything with bleach water everyday? I am going to clean the buckets everyday, but what about everything else?? We put a solid wall between Dreamer and Bee, so there is no contact. The vet said not to touch Dreamer unless we are giving her shots or treatments, she is used to me loving on her, and looks forward to her morning and night time kisses... I tell you I just want to sit down and cry... and probably will! I am at my wits end. I guess I am feeling sorry for myself when I should be concentrating on Dreamer and the rest of the mares. They deserve better than this.
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif

Oh Theresa I am sovery sorry to hear this latest news. You just dont need this right now, nor does Dreamer. I'm not very good with word at times like this, so will just say that my love and prayers are on their way to you, Art and Dreamer. God bless you all.

Anna

I'm so sorry you and Dreamer are having to deal with this now!

Is there a way you can be the sole caregiver for Dreamer, and Art for the other horses? Or vice versa. I know when there've been other farms with strangles and those people come to where I keep my riding horse, they are not to wear the same clothes including boots, and to have washed their hands, etc., since it can be carried by a person on their clothes and shoes / boots.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so sorry you and Dreamer are having to deal with this now!

Is there a way you can be the sole caregiver for Dreamer, and Art for the other horses? Or vice versa. I know when there've been other farms with strangles and those people come to where I keep my riding horse, they are not to wear the same clothes including boots, and to have washed their hands, etc., since it can be carried by a person on their clothes and shoes / boots.
Unfortunately, no. It will take the 2 of us because she has to have a penn shot 2 x a day. She HATES shots. So Art will have to hold her so I can give her the shot. She is supposed to be quarantined, but she is supposed to have her therapy everyday for her hip. And she needs to walk to keep her gut moving. I don't know how we are going to do this. I am going to call the vet this am and find out. She has to walk past every mare in the barn to get outside....Any sugestions???

Do you have a garage? If so, can you set her up in there with temp stall? and walk her in the yard?

Theresa I don't have any suggestions for care but did want to tell you.....It's OK to cry when you need to!!! I'm sure it will help to relieve the stress (if only a little). Prayers continue for you all.

Theresa and Art prayers for a quick resolution to this new problem. For a solution do you know anyone with a large dog pen that could be converted to temporary shelter for Dreamer until you can get through this new hurdle? I know its not the best solution but without a second place for her to be kept it might work. We have one that we use just for this kind of problem it has a roof over one end like a run in and we put down a rubber mat under the roofed over part and have some particle board on the outside to make a 3 sided place for them to be in out of the weather. It is removed from the main barn and an animal can be totally isolated from the rest this way. Then you can take her out wherever when you need to and do her care last after the rest of the herd is cared for. That would protect the rest of the girls and still keep Dreamer safe. We have never had strangles but have had other issues that required isolation and this is how we did it. Scheduled the isolated horses care last and changed clothes and shoes before going near the rest. Im hoping its not strangles but just in case this would be an inexpensive way to do this and should work. We also put a bleach tub outside the barn door and made EVERYONE who visited during this time to dip their feet.Just a dishpan big enough to put a foot in is enough. That included vet and farrier.It may be extreme but it kept the germs at bay. Like I said it wasnt strangles but still a virus that could be spread and we stopped it with just the one horse who came through fine by the way.Please God Dreamer needs you again and so does her family please take them in youir hands and help them through one more time. (((((Hugs)))))

Nita

I have had experience with strangles, several years ago. It is not fun and there is not much you can do to stop it from going through your whole herd. As a matter of fact, it is best that it does so that you can get it over with.

The protocall is to not vacinate or treat you horses with anything, unless they are very sick, and then only with penicillin. For the most part we just tried to make the horses as comfortable as possible and let nature take its course. The younger ones will come down with it, some of the older ones will not. Do not have people to your farm and do not go to anyone elses farm

I would feed the rest of the horses first and clean their stalls first. Then do Dreamers. Uses bleach after you do her stall and have a foot bath of bleach and water to step into once you have feed her and done her stall. Even so, a cat or even a fly can pass this on to other horses.

I had a group of horses at the side of my farm, away from all of the infected horses and still they came down with it.

There must have been a case of it at the hospital for her to get it.

Dreamer will not feel much like eating for a while. She will have copious amounts of snot from her nose, almost like rope, there will be labored weezing and of course coughing. You may get lucky and find that this is not strangles, but somekind of infection to her glands and she will clear up fast with penicillin.

Good luck and I am thinking of you.

Latest posts

Back