Ugh!! I have a call into the vet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockin r

Reaction score
When we were feeding this am we noticed that Dreamer was swollen on the left side of her jaw and neck. I called the surgeon and he said she has a clot from the IV, that has turned into a possible streph infection. He said this not something that we want to "wait and see about". So he called my local vet and gave him instructions for her treatment. He will be out today at 4pm. I will let you know what Happens....Sigh....Theresa

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Theresa, I'm sorry that Dreamer is having yet more issues! Sending prayers and good thoughts!!

Awww, poor Dreamer. Sending prayers for a quick recovery for her and a beautiful filly for Miranda today too. Before the vet comes so she can have her vet check too. And a good night sleep for you and hubby.

I'm so sorry that you now have another hurdle to get over. I know it must seem never ending.. Hang in there..We are all here for you....

Aww, not fair!!!! Sending best wished and prayers for Dreamer and you.

Love,

Robin

When it rains, it pours....I'm sorry she's having issues, hope you can nip this in the bud quickly.

Jan

Aw geez! I'm sorry to hear about Dreamer! I hope all goes well and she'll be back to her usual self soon!

Oh Theresa - not more for Dreamer - hoping this turns out to have a quick and simple cure. I'll be staying tuned for an update. Prayers coming your way once again!!!

Barbie & Dawn

Bummer Theresa, i hate that something else has gone wrong...

Sending prayers and (((HUGS))) to you all for her to make a fast recovery..

Missy ;)

Oh NO! Poor Dreamer, poor you! hasn't this brave little mare put up with enough this year already, and you as well. And for it to happen now when you are so tired from being on foal watch and lacking the reserves of strength. I agree with Robin, this is soo not fair! (((hugs))) to you all and I'll be praying for a positive report soon.

Oh Theresa - I'm so sorry to read this.

I want to tell you that "if" Dreamer has staph it is highly contagious so please keep her away from your other horses and wash thoroughly after working with her along with complete clothing changes.

When my little colt ended up with staph after being in the hospital it took a long time to clear and it was bandage changes three times per day. It's a pain in the neck..................

My continued prayers for you all and I have been keeping an eye on Miranda. She is just holding on... and on..... and on........

Oh Theresa - I'm so sorry to read this.

I want to tell you that "if" Dreamer has staph it is highly contagious so please keep her away from your other horses and wash thoroughly after working with her along with complete clothing changes.

When my little colt ended up with staph after being in the hospital it took a long time to clear and it was bandage changes three times per day. It's a pain in the neck..................

My continued prayers for you all and I have been keeping an eye on Miranda. She is just holding on... and on..... and on........
How far away??? I only have the one mare barn and ALL the mares (6) are in it including Miranda, and Dreamer has been until yesterday, standing outside her stall during the day!!!!!! Will this affect her foal? What am I going to do???

:DOH! Not another issue! Poor Dreamer and poor Teresa!

I would like to know what the treatment is. We had a mare develop the same kind of thing when she had a few day old foal after an IV injection. She was still in winter coat so the swelling wasn't noticed for days! She ran high temps and didn't respond to the antibiotics. Then when the vet told me to go look for this swelling there it was! I don't remember exactly what the antibiotic was but I think SMZs. Then a rub of Nolvasan ointment with DMSO added (applied with rubber gloves on). She came around quickly once treatment began....like seemed all well in about a week but treatment went on for some time longer.

I sure hope Dreamer throws this off quickly once she gets treatment.

Charlotte

Theresa,

Sorry I didn't mean to make you panic. It is not airborn so don't worry - she can be even in the next stall over. Just wash thoroughly after you touch her and don't put her outside with anybody else right now.

I will try to call you in a minute.

Theresa,

Sorry I didn't mean to make you panic. It is not airborn so don't worry - she can be even in the next stall over. Just wash thoroughly after you touch her and don't put her outside with anybody else right now.

I will try to call you in a minute.
I am at work......So I can't talk now. But I will be home by 4 pm when the vet is there..... I am just soooo dog tired and I am panicy because of it..... Dreamer don't need anymore!

Theresa,

Geeze I hate to hear this news
default_no.gif
Hopefully the staph will respond quickly to treatment. Lord only knows you guys don't need anymore drama around there
default_no.gif
I will keep checking back for updates.

Wish there was a new and unique way to say I'm sorry Dreamer is having more problems, but my feelings are the same as everyone else's. I know this has to be a terrible drain on you and Art, as well as Dreamer, but you 3 have worked wonders before and I expect you'll be able to do it again. Keep your chin up and don't panic since the vet hasn't seen her yet. Hugs, best wishes and prayers from my house to yours.

Latest posts

Back