Udder development?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately no my “Pickles” has her own timeframe and I have not a clue! She’s been dripping milk for a week and a half so I thought for sure it would be soon. But still hanging on!

If your mare has been dripping milk for over a week, Id be worried how much colostrum she is loosing. This is the most important drink a foal will ever receive.

Be sure to have a snap test for Igg after the foal is born to see if it got enough colostrum.

Congratulations!!! Baby is beautiful!!! I have no idea about the snap test as I'm new too. Is the foal nursing yet though? I think they should be nursing within the first hour so I'd be concerned.

Snap test is from your vet. I don't think there is a home version, as it's a blood test to check for the IGg levels of the foal, to see if it received enough colostrum for good immunity.

We took our new foal to the vet yesterday and he confirmed that she is a dummy foal. Last 24 hrs have been tiring and stressful! Milking and feeding every two hours. Anyone try the Madigan Squeeze on a dummy foal?

We took our new foal to the vet yesterday and he confirmed that she is a dummy foal. Last 24 hrs have been tiring and stressful! Milking and feeding every two hours. Anyone try the Madigan Squeeze on a dummy foal?
Is your baby doing better?

Is your baby doing better?
Unfortunately my sweet Honey passed away Saturday . I am completely devastated. Poor Pickles has been so sad. I was not prepared to face anything happening to our foal. Thank you for asking. Hope your sweet baby is doing well!

Attachments

• FC5802AA-7655-4AD6-AA4E-A5D3A675D53C.jpeg
    FC5802AA-7655-4AD6-AA4E-A5D3A675D53C.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 7
  • 1D85AFB0-4A98-4016-9409-3FE4BE5C8C9E.jpeg
    1D85AFB0-4A98-4016-9409-3FE4BE5C8C9E.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 7
Unfortunately my sweet Honey passed away Saturday . I am completely devastated. Poor Pickles has been so sad. I was not prepared to face anything happening to our foal. Thank you for asking. Hope your sweet baby is doing well!
Oh Renee! I am so sorry!!! I'm so heartbroken for you! When we lost our foal last February all I could think was I never want to breed my horses again, although I knew we had one more to go. It is the worst thing to go through. I was terrified of the next one delivering. I understand your heartbreak. Please know I am praying for your heart to heal and I will pray for Pickles as well. Watching them grieve is so hard..... I'm so sad for you!

Oh Renee! I am so sorry!!! I'm so heartbroken for you! When we lost our foal last February all I could think was I never want to breed my horses again, although I knew we had one more to go. It is the worst thing to go through. I was terrified of the next one delivering. I understand your heartbreak. Please know I am praying for your heart to heal and I will pray for Pickles as well. Watching them grieve is so hard..... I'm so sad for you!
Losing this baby was so awful! Don’t blame you at all for not wanting to breed again. It’s heartbreaking to watch the little thing grow for almost a year and then lose it! Thank you for the prayers. Pickles and I appreciate it!

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice. My mini mule (Max) is going on 7 weeks and desperately wants to be in the big pasture with my mini colt/ stallion (who's 18 months) and my mini jennet who's 14 months. So far I've kept Max and his mom separate. At what age should i attempt them to all be together? My colt plays aggressive.

Attachments

• 20191005_183300.jpg
    20191005_183300.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20191006_172059.jpg
    20191006_172059.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 9
I'm wondering if anyone has any advice. My mini mule (Max) is going on 7 weeks and desperately wants to be in the big pasture with my mini colt/ stallion (who's 18 months) and my mini jennet who's 14 months. So far I've kept Max and his mom separate. At what age should i attempt them to all be together? My colt plays aggressive.
I was just about to ask how was your little fella doing! He is soooo cute! And I'm not real sure about putting them together. I only have 2 mares with Lily, her momma and Grandma and they've been together since she's been born but the woman i purchased my mare from that breeds mini's, she keeps her stud away from all the babies until they are all gone to their homes because of aggression.

Are you getting the colt and mule gelded ? Theres no way I would be putting them together , if one of your girls comes into season , theres a good chance of a fight. Two intact horses do not go well together. Just my opinion :)

I was just about to ask how was your little fella doing! He is soooo cute! And I'm not real sure about putting them together. I only have 2 mares with Lily, her momma and Grandma and they've been together since she's been born but the woman i purchased my mare from that breeds mini's, she keeps her stud away from all the babies until they are all gone to their homes because of aggression.
I was afraid of that. I'm not sure if I'll keep him though. Maybe after they're both gelded I can put them together.

Latest posts

Back