Udder development?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s.moody

Reaction score
Hey everybody! I've been reading on this forum for about a week now, and have learned a lot! But i do need someone to give me their opinion on if my pregnant mini is starting to get udder development? From the date i was given she should be around 300 days June 1st. So today she is 295 days. I'm stumped because i don't know if its her udder developing or just how it looks because she's had babies before? 20190527_181929.jpg 20190523_223424.jpg 20190526_191801.jpg

Yes , but thats by textbook, if your mare foals to textbook, shes a keeper :)

You will notice it go up and down and up and down. When she is resting it will grow, when shes moving around it will deflate. When you notice shes been out moving all day and it stays full, you know your getting serious.

Good luck and keep us posted :)

Yes , but thats by textbook, if your mare foals to textbook, shes a keeper :)

You will notice it go up and down and up and down. When she is resting it will grow, when shes moving around it will deflate. When you notice shes been out moving all day and it stays full, you know your getting serious.

Good luck and keep us posted :)
I'm hoping its by the textbook, its probably wishful thinking though lol. This is my first time with minis and a pregnant one at that. So I'm trying to soak up all the information i can so I'm prepared for anything and everything!

Ask away any questions you may have , everyone will be happy to help answer them :)
Thanks so much! I have another question, when they get in the last month/weeks of their pregnancy, do they lay flat on their sides? I looked out the window yesterday and seen her laying flat on her side with her legs out, I've never seen her do it before? Usually when she's laying down its normal, laying on her side but her head up and legs curled. She laid like that for 5 mins or so and got back up and went to eating her hay. Her tail is looking more defined to me also. I checked to see what color liquid she's got in her udders and its still pretty clear?

When you can , could you take a few pics of your mare . 1) standing behind her about 5m back so we can see how the foal is riding. 2) A side on pic :)

Yes, she may have been stretching ( mine lay like this when the sun is out) Watch for her contracting when she is laying like this as she may be foaling.

Regarding expressing anything from her udder, This is the most important drink your foal will get from its mum. Ive never expressed anything as it holds all the goodness your foal will need. :)

When you can , could you take a few pics of your mare . 1) standing behind her about 5m back so we can see how the foal is riding. 2) A side on pic :)

Yes, she may have been stretching ( mine lay like this when the sun is out) Watch for her contracting when she is laying like this as she may be foaling.

Regarding expressing anything from her udder, This is the most important drink your foal will get from its mum. Ive never expressed anything as it holds all the goodness your foal will need. :)
I'll have to get pictures tomorrow of her belly. :) All i took pictures of today were udder and vulva, I'll post them now.
I won't be checking her udder for color or consistency of milk anymore, i was just curious the other day. :)20190602_184821.jpg 20190602_183433.jpg

From the first udder pic you posted to the one just now, her udder is def growing. If you look at the creases in the first pic , youll notice they are not there now :)

From the first udder pic you posted to the one just now, her udder is def growing. If you look at the creases in the first pic , youll notice they are not there now :)
I can definitely see the difference! The first picture was took last Sunday so a week ago! :)
I'm excited, hopefully these next couple of weeks fly by! Does her vulva look normal or does it look to be elongating a little?

Only going off the one pic, but I would say yes. The fact you can see her her tail head becoming more prominent means her "rear end " is starting to relax.

Im excited for you too :)

Only going off the one pic, but I would say yes. The fact you can see her her tail head becoming more prominent means her "rear end " is starting to relax.

Im excited for you too :)
Yayyy! Lol! :)
I'll make sure to post more pictures tomorrow of her tail end and belly.

Pictures really don't do her any justice! She's a little dirty but they like the roll in the dirt immediately after i spray them down with fly spray! Lol. ‍

Attachments

• 20190603_125901.jpg
    20190603_125901.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20190603_111045.jpg
    20190603_111045.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 20190603_142436.jpg
    20190603_142436.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 21
Thanks for the pics. Its a little hard to tell. When you take a pic next from behind , can you take it from further back. What Im trying to see is how the foal is currently positioned.

By looking from behind you can see the sides sticking out. What you need to look for is a change in the foals position, making the sides not visible anymore.

Latest posts

Back