Tying Up Tails For Winter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FurstPlaceMiniatures

Reaction score
So usually I like to bang tails going into winter. However, my stud now has a totally gorgeous fake looking tail, and I want to make it look 'extra barf worthy fake' by having it be as thick as it is AND stupid long. What do you guys do for winter to wrap and braid manes and tails? Which specific products do you use?

I wash and thoroughly dry tails before putting them up, I also like to spray the wet tail with show sheen, then brush when dry. I find that by doing it that way, I can brush out the tail with a soft body brush and minimize breakage. I used to braid the tail and protect it using fancy tail bags, then I switched to tube socks because they worked the same, but were cheaper, then I switched to vet wrap because it was easier and I felt it stayed on better, then I learned the hard way to just tape up the tail into a bun, when my horse's tail fell off because he was allergic to vetwrap. I just braid the hair starting at the end of the dock, I gently comb out a few tufts of hair of varying lengths to hang outside the braid, one to minimize breakage and relieve itching from the braid and also to create a cascading fountain tail once the braid and tape are removed. If you do not let a few tufts or lengths hang out, then the tail will look thin and long in the middle when down. A bit of breakage is un avoidable when braiding, leaving hair out minimizes this and creates a nicer looking tail. I then fold up the braid into an oval bun and tape it up with electrical tape, never duct tape. Some people do not braid tails, claiming it causes breakage, I personally feel that every horse is different. A few of mine step on their tails and pee/poo in their long tails, so braiding is necessary, some of mine do not get taped up, just left braided, others rub or catch braided tails, so I leave them alone. Anything placed over the tail (ie: sock, bag, tape etc.) will need to be changed every few weeks as it will collect dirt and dander, not changing it all winter will result in a lot of knots and breakage, I know because a few of my clients braid up tails, then never maintain them and the tails look awful. I always leave manes alone, as no matter what I try, braids, hoods, sleazies, tamers etc. They all result in breakage and mohawks along the crest. I do braid forelocks to keep them clean and out of eyes, I just re braid once a week.

That's been my gameplan the last few years rocklone! I've always been taught not to touch a tail until like the night before a show to minimize breakage. Constant brushing makes a thinner tail. However it's worked SO well that his tail is dragging 4" on the ground, he's stepping on it, and to be frank with all the mud and no snow it's getting nasty. I want to try something new this year.

ahh it must be magnificent looking
default_smile.png

What about just braiding it? I agree that the less intervention the better unless it is so long that they step on it. Maybe just braiding it will keep it clean without too much damage.

Think western pleasure thick, wavy, and fake looking, but dragging on the ground 4"! I'll have to get pics, it is gorgeous. I hate long wispy tails, but I want to try to get some more length on his thick one

What about parting it into 3 sections like when braiding, but braid each section into a smaller braid, then gently braiding them together? The more you braid it, the more chance of breakage you have, but if he is stepping on it, getting it off the ground is necessary.

I grew up with reining horses and learned all the tricks of the trade as far as how to get thick, long manes and tails. When i started showing mini's (long dragging tails not trimmed tails), I was at a loss... You have to keep long tails up because you dont want them getting dirty, or worse, have them pull them out (can cause issues training to back too, but thats another story). Use a good shampoo (even human shampoo works) and wash the tail at least once a week, mane too if you want to grow that out. Clean roots is the key to growth (At the big reining barns where I have worked, some horses, with the dreamy long manes and thick tails were on an every other day wash schedule..) Ive seen people just start washing their horses manes and tails and NOT BRUSHING them and they grow fabulously fast!! The other key to growth is leaving it alone. If there is mud or shavings or whatever stuck in their mane or tail I usually pick through with my fingers or I use a hard brush. The only time I ever brush with a mane and tail brush is when the mane or tail is wet and clean or at a show. Wet hair is more elastic and forgiving.

Now, all that being said, long tails you just can't leave down, well, you can but in the winter especially the mud etc drys out the hair. I braid mine and weave it into itself to make a bun to keep it up because it drags a good couple inches on the ground and my mini's tail is of course WHITE! Otherwise i would do what is called figure 8 knot (this is what we did to keep our reiners tails up because this still allows the oils from the tail to fall down the whole length of the hair, but as I said, some tails are just too long for this to work.

I don't use any detanglers like show sheen unless I am at a show. These have a lot of additives in them that actually dry out and inhibit growth. I have in the past and sometimes still do use a hair moisturizer for the body hair of horses and it is actually a mixture of multiple things. But a good old wash and pick through is what has always worked best for me.

Just as a resource, Lucky Braids for Top Turnout has TONS of articles on grooming care. Her shampoo is worth the money. Or just a good human shampoo that doesnt have a ton of additives in it works as well. When i didn't have the money to spend i would just buy the dollar shampoo at the store and that works too, but you will notice significantly more growth just keeping it clean and not brushing or using detanglers/shiners.

Sorry to blab on, mane and tail care are my "thing"

Latest posts

Back