Two year old colt hasn't 'dropped'

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Performancemini

Reaction score
I am not sure what to do with my situation at this point. Wait and see or proceed with selling/advertising or ????

We have a 2 (in June) colt who is now feeling his tetesterone. He is mounting the geldings and getting a little mouthy. The vet was out for spring vaccinations and coggings. He said something like he could barely feel anything way up there; and he hopes he isn't going to be a Crypto. We were planning on (reluctantly) selling him as we have purchased two more (a hitch team) and we feel with our others we are getting a bit more than we are going to be able to handle. Now I don't know what to do about selling him-after what the vet said. I like to be totally honest with people-but if he MIGHT be a crypt then he is a problem for anyone who doesn't have the money to fix him (we really don't). We have never had a stallion and do not want one. He is a sweet boy in general and usually easy to work with; but I see those stallion antics starting.

If he hasn't dropped by this age, he's already a cryptorchid. As for the the studdish behavior...my 10 month old "dropped" colts mount each other. That's normal. And they are very mouthy, too ;). That's why they will be geldings soon
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
You can try this - have your vet knock him out totally, and roll him over completely on his back and check for his equipment. If they are anywhere in evidence, they should be found. I've had them lying along the penis, or very small at that age.

This would be a good time to geld him too. If you aren't going to use him, and can't or don't want to sell him, geld him now.

I had a colt who didn't drop both until he was 33 months old.bred him 2 times but he was so unruly and obnoxious I gelded him.He is now an awesome gelding and a pussycat.They may still come down but young studs can be very trying.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I've had some colts not drop until they were 3 or even 5 YEARS old. No kidding. The 5 year old stud was the half-uncle to the 3 year old so I wasn't surprised.

But then again, I would personally geld a colt before selling if I had the resources to.

My 2 year old colt still only has one down and I did some research, apparently it is quite normal for minis to hide 1 or 2 until the age of 3 years old. If I still have the article I will post it for you to read, it was very interesting.

my gelding had not dropped when his previous owners had wanted to sell him. They were told to breed him and after he bred he dropped.

My 2 years old colt did drop his first in january this year, number 2 just a week ago. But pull it up when is cold outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
IN order for your vet to get a real good "feel", your boy needs to be heavily sedated so he can be palpated. That would be my first step. As others have said, many times these minis drop very late.

as everybody said.. just get your vet to check... they can palpate under anesthesia or do a portable ultrasound. Often they are "right there" just under the surface. I had a boy that was this way and I didn't want to wait until he dropped to geld him. Because they were not deep the vet gelded him easily and right at our farm and it didn't hardly cost much more than a regular gelding. Unless they are super deep and a true crypt. many vets consider this a routine gelding. Didn't take any longer for my boy to heal either. Piece of cake... only a couple of hundred dollars for the procedure. Actually when they are still inside the testicles are really small little things and it isn't all that traumatic. Good luck, keep us posted.

Many 2 year old Mini boys like to suck those things up. One minute they may be there, the next they are gone. I have known of some that would have both down, till the vet came to geld, and all of the sudden there is only one or none. Vet goes and a couple of hours later, the colt has two easy to find. At this age they can still suck them up or keep them alongside their penis. I would only worry after they are 3. AMHA requires them to be there for showing at the age of 3, not 2, for a reason.

Back