Two Of My Horses Went To Live...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
Just wanted to let all of you know, not only am I "good at" buying horses, I also can let some go when the time is right. This is some kind of major milestone for me... I've never given away or sold an animal ever in my life.

Earlier today, two of my mares went out on an extended (hopefully permanent) free-lease to a friend, Missy, who lives about 5 minutes from me. She has a little mini gelding and wanted a mini or pony to keep him company since she smartly didn't want to turn her mini out with her big horses.

I offered to free lease her both Morningstar and Tinkerbell. I didn't feel right about sending Morningstar out without a friend she knew (she has always been with "her herd" since a foal) and I am interested in cutting the numbers back some since I have some new horses I will do more with coming in.

They loaded Tinkerbell first but the ramp on the trailer doesn't hit the ground until the horse stepped on it, which scared Tinkerbell. She slipped out of her halter out in the driveway and we live RIGHT on a road! I had wanted them to load them in the fenced yard but they were scared they couldn't get the trailer in and out (not used to driving a trailer). Thank GOD one of the men who came with Missy was able to hang on to her like a rodeo pig and guide her to the gate and then we got her fine once in the fence.

Morningtar was loaded by the time we got back with Tinkerbell, and that was shocking. She's not been loaded since a foal and is 36" and STRONG! However, she was terrified once tied in the trailer and ended up busting her chops on the divider.

Missy rode in the back tack room thingy to keep Morningstar quiet which I guess is not too dangerous being only 5 minutes down the road. Missy called not long after they got home to say they were doing fine and Morningstar loves her gelding and Tinkerbell loves one of her big horses through the fence.

Missy is a dog groomer and owns a "boutique" in Fredericksbur and is a real animal person. She spends a lot of time learning and applying Natural Horsemenship on her two biggies. There are two little girls who live next door who have been spending most of their free time loving on her mini gelding, Mingo, and will do the same with Morningstar and Tinkerbell.

I feel good about this. I wasn't sure how I'd feel when it happened but I wanted to do it. The horses will be happier since now they will be "the special ones" to someone and here, I love them, but they are not "the special ones". This gives me more time to spend with the horses I enjoy more, gives Mingo some friends, and the horses more love.

I can get them back anytime I want and check on them anytime I want. I think this is all a good thing!

Here is Tinkerbell, who is the first mare (big or small) I ever owned. I trained her to drive in 2000:

Tinkerbell-07122003-5.jpg

And here is Morningstar, who is the first baby animal of any kind that came out of an animal I owned (not my breeding, bought her mom in foal, but hoped she wasn't pregnant):

morningstar-trot%21.jpg

wub.gif

That is a real win-win situation!
aktion033.gif

I love that you can see then any time and they're with such a good foster mom!

It's hard to let any of them go but knowing they are going to be well taken care of and loved.......it makes it much easier. It's great they are just down the road and you can see them once in a while!

What a wonderful situation for all involved! You did a *very* good thing Jill!!!
aktion033.gif

Nancy
smile.gif

You're a good animal mommy!!! Sounds like a good deal for everyone involved, good job!!
aktion033.gif

[SIZE=14pt]Wow I couldnt do that!!I solute you!!lol!Pretty Horses![/SIZE]

Good for you Jill! It sounds like you have a nice set up for you, your horses and the people leasing. Good luck on your new venture.
aktion033.gif

Sometimes letting them go is the best thing for all involved, no matter how hard it is. And when they are only 5 minutes away with someone you trust, so much the better!

Thanks folks
smile.gif
I felt good about it last night, which for me is the test. I worry more at night than any other time.

It's good too that I can have them back and I did keep the papers.

And, yes, Morningstar is a fabulous mover. She's got potential as other than a pet if that ever happens, but if not, she doesn't mind being "just a pet" (pretty important job in my book).

There are two others I'm considering selling... not sure if I will bite that bullet yet or not. There is one person I have in mind but if that doesn't work out, I may hang on to them. There's another who wants to buy one of the two and I'm not comfortable to sell into that situation.

Oh Jill I didn't know that they were going so soon. I'm so glad that this has worked out for you. I know it was a hard decision.

CKC said:
Oh Jill I didn't know that they were going so soon.  I'm so glad that this has worked out for you. I know it was a hard decision.
469431[/snapback]

Yep, it happened fast but that was good. The longer it would have taken the more I would have had second thoughts or worried.

This morning, Firefly who is Morningstar's mom, broke my heart by whinnying at me really desperate and I know she's asking me to bring back her baby. They weaned at 3mos because Firefly was brought down so but since the milk went dry, they've been together and love each other so much. THAT was really my biggest concern in letting Morningstar go, separating them from each other.

It probably sounds corny to a lot of people but when Morningstar was first born, I sat in Firefly stall all emotional (first anything born!) and promised not to ever sell her baby.

I can only imagine how hard this was for you!! But as you said, you can visit them anytime, and if anything changes - you will always take them back.
yes.gif

I currently have 2 for sale - have had some people stop by to look - I'm not sure how I'm going to feel once someone comes along and says "yes, I'll buy them"!
laugh.gif

We've found the unpleasent part about having minis is letting them go. But you are so very lucky yours are only down the road.
biggrin.gif

There were A LOT of mixed feelings leading up to this as some of you know (hey, Kim, hey Erica!), but one feeling really was just happiness to feel like I could part with some. I have been looking forward to my new horses coming home, since FEBRUARY really, but realizing I could part with some makes me feel even more excited about the new guys coming home. I know I'll have more time to spend with them and not all the guilty feelings about those I really don't spend time doing more than feeding and maintaining. Still, when I came home this afternoon, Firefly was at the fence and whinnying to me some more. Urgh.

Latest posts

Back