Two more rescues!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merogsrha

Reaction score
Howdy Everyone! I am sure some of ya will remember me posting about my first two new rescues Rusty and Cookie
default_smile.png
Cookie is still with me, while Rusty went to a new, more capable home (where he is doing GREAT!) Still trying to get weight on Cookie, but this riducously cold weather isn't helping her any. Anywho, Got two more rescues in yesterday- one stud, and one assumably bred mare. She doesn't look anywhere near foaling, and from feeling her bag, I think she is a maiden. They are a little skittish from lack of interaction, but are coming along nicely. They need hoof care (probably a trim or two past due), and some worming and regular feeding. I think the stud looks more pregnant than the mare! He has a good attitude, and hasn't given me a lick of trouble! Here is a quick couple pics I got yesterday after they arrived:

stud1.jpg The stud

studmare1.jpg The pair

mare1.jpg

mare2.jpg And the mare from front and back. Her bag is teeny tiny, almost hard to feel, which is what makes me think she is a maiden. Cookie (who has had foals in the past) has an easy to find empty udder LOL

Question for those viewers- will the presence of a stud put a mare into heat? Since the stud has arrived, miss Cookie has been showing signs of heat - raising her tail, squealing, etc. She was her normal quiet self before these guys arrived. Guess I can get rid of the thought she may have possibly been bred already!

Its possible its just pregnancy hormones run amok, and she is flirting, but still pregnant.

When I hauled my pregnant AQHA mare across two states, she flirted with every horse in sight, and I was worried she slipped her foal, but another vet appointment confirmed she was still in foal (she foaled just fine as scheduled). Some are just flirtatious when pregnant.

Ahh good to know! I think the possibility of her being bred is slim to none (unless her coming 2yr old Colt got too frisky), but thought this would confirm it... Guess not if they can still act like they are in heat even while pregnant
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back