Two minis sharing a stall

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im going to see if the barn owner would be interested in putting up a divider If I provided one. We'll be looking into mini corral panels and the like. Has to be something removable if needed im sure, if she'll even go for it.

Can anyone recommend a place to purchase mini corral panels or something similar?
I don't know where you are located, but I found nice looking mini-sized panels at:

http://www.redriverarenas.com/panels.html Wish I was closer so I could get some of them (they are top right on the linked page).

Here's another one, similar panel, might be a better location for you: http://209.196.171.163/page3.html

I put 2 minis to a stall, and I've even put 3 to a stall. They are perfectly comfortable for the night sharing feed and company. But, I turned them out every day. I wouldn't leave them in 24/7. But now that my mare is close to foaling the stud is seperate at night.
default_yes.gif

I hope your mini is in a better situation soon. You must be pretty upset for your little one.
default_sad.png

I have put two together but with a divider in a 12x12 ft stall, there is a place closer to you and they deliver, easy to work with, Not knowing just where you are it may be worth it to take a day trip and pick them up yourself or just let them deliver.

My friend who has Mimi's in Indiana just got some to make two stalls for her mares so she can wean her foals, she loves them and said they are very well put together, I plan on getting some myself soon.

here is the link, Jana is the gals name that helped my Friend out.

DD Tack link

Good Luck I hope it works out for you it's always best to have them close to you.

Jan

We did stall our two "B" geldings together. They each had a feed pan and water bucket, in opposite corners of a 12x12 horse stall. Our biggest problem was the rearing Diesel did, because he couldn't see over the stall walls to see what was going on outside in the alleys!

When we moved them to our own farm eventually, hubby built them adjoining stalls with a hardware cloth and wood divider and stall fronts, so they could see what was going on around them. Now Diesel only rears up to see what's going on outside when he's stalled and there is someone outside by his window. My QH Dusty (Skippers Eatmydust) who is the herd leader likes to keep an eye on them from his stall across the alley. When the three of them were boarded out, someone made the mistake of taking the two mini's out first, and apparently Dusty took his stall door right off the track because he was so upset at not being out there to "protect" them!

I board as well and do have two mini's share a stall. Well it's actually a mini mare and mini hinny!! They are so darn cute. They share a 10x12 comfortably. They get along well although if they're in alot like during the winter the mare tends to get a little grouchy. Overall it works out well and helps with the board cost. Probably would be best to know what kinda of horse he will be paired with. Hopefully they'd be willing to pair him with someone that he will get along with. But overall he will be alot happier being with other horses and being able to be turned out to play!! I'd say go for it!

So in the past few months Ive gotten engaged, moved out of my parents house, and sadly haven't had the time or money to show all summer. I don't see my horses as often as I would like to, and im just plain depressed, and miss them terribly. Its embarrassing, but i'm lucky if I see them once a month right now. I realize this isn't acceptable, however where I moved is over an hour from my barn, and It takes over a half a tank of gas to get there and back. My gelding is currently in a small stall, maybe 6x8, there are no other minis there, and when he is turned out it is in a small indoor arena. He doesn't get outside, and he has no buddies because all the other horses at the barn are biggies. It wasn't so bad when I was there 5 days a week because we would take long trail walks, and he was free lunged and such. Now he is out of shape, grouchy, and I know Its not a good situation for him.
I've just come across a nice boarding facility about 4 miles from my house that has room for Midas. They have a nice big turn out area where they turn out the minis and small ponies (There are 4 other minis there, and a few small ponies.) They have a huge indoor arena, as well as a large outdoor arena. Honestly, the place is a lot cleaner and more organized than my barn. Their stalls were spotless. They use of of the machines that sifts the manure from the sawdust, and they add new bedding daily. They feed hay and a decent 12% pellet. All the horses there were in awesome shape. They use my current vet, and have a second backup vet, as well as 2 farriers.

The downfall is that They put 2 minis to a stall. They're big stalls at least 12x12, however I know that sharing a stall isn't the best situation. Unfortunately, I can't afford to have his own stall.

I believe even if he has to share a stall that this would be a much better situation than the one he is currently in. Please let me know what you think about the situation.

The other horse is a 5 or 6 year old mini gelding, very laid back. Currently stalled with a medium sized pony. Pretty docile, just goes with the flow. Im in the process of seeing if the BO will let me divide the stall, Hopefully she will.

Let's do the math here please. Dividing a 12 X 12 leaves you a 6 X 6. eeks

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually the way the stalls are built it would be 6x12 if we divided it. 6ft wide x 12 ft long. I know its not the best, but it would be better than the 6x8 he is in now.

In ideal situations I would have my horses at my own house where I could see them daily with early evening turnout, 12x12 stalls, and an indoor and outdoor arena.

Realistically i'm a 20 year old who just moved out of their parents house, is getting married, and unexpectedly my fiance is off of work on a medical leave. At this point we're just able to pay the bills, so im trying to move my horses closer so I can afford the gas to see them. Unfortionately this is the only place within 30 minutes of my house where the board is under $400 a month, So its basically move them here, where the stall would need divided, or leave them where they are currently located, where my mini is in a 6x8 and is only turned out in a sand arena when stalls are being cleaned. Im thinking moving them would be the best situation, but I'm having my doubts as well.

Where in PA are you located? There's a guy near New Holland that carries the mini panels as well as the Greencastle mini sale normally has a tack dealer who brings some along.

I'm in York...so Hello neighbor!!!

Actually the way the stalls are built it would be 6x12 if we divided it. 6ft wide x 12 ft long. I know its not the best, but it would be better than the 6x8 he is in now.In ideal situations I would have my horses at my own house where I could see them daily with early evening turnout, 12x12 stalls, and an indoor and outdoor arena.

Realistically i'm a 20 year old who just moved out of their parents house, is getting married, and unexpectedly my fiance is off of work on a medical leave. At this point we're just able to pay the bills, so im trying to move my horses closer so I can afford the gas to see them. Unfortionately this is the only place within 30 minutes of my house where the board is under $400 a month, So its basically move them here, where the stall would need divided, or leave them where they are currently located, where my mini is in a 6x8 and is only turned out in a sand arena when stalls are being cleaned. Im thinking moving them would be the best situation, but I'm having my doubts as well.

As long as he has turnout a 6x12 stall isnt bad . I bet he will enjoy a buddy anyways. I know you will feel better getting him near you!

Latest posts

Back