Two miniature horses in one stall?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Eowyn

Reaction score
Hello,

I have 4 stalls in my barn (they're all big horse sized stalls). 3 big horses would take up three, but I will have two mini's this winter. The stall is pretty big for one mini so do you think it would be alright if I put the two together in one stall for the nights? I saw two mini's stalled together at the county fair this year and they seemed alright. I'd put their hay on opposite sides of the stall. Just want to make sure and see what your thoughts are on this. Thanks!

It really depends on the horses and how well they get along, some get a long great and would share a big stall just fine, others not so much. If its a case of not so much, then you might have to find a way to divide that stall to house them safely.

I agree with Chanda, sometimes it would work just fine and sometimes not. I have 6 horses here and only 2 of them could be stalled together without any issues. The others, even with their best buddy would be at risk of a kicking match because they felt crowded and of course they couldn't get away from one another if that started. If it were me I would look for a way to divide the stall into 2 so they each had their own space.

Agreed with what is already said. If the horses get along then it should be just fine. And if not you can find a way to divide the stall. Last winter we had three stalls with two minis in each. Our two geldings who always share a stall to eat, we had to put a divider in between but everyone else did fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, for every pair you see in stalls at shows that are getting along, there is another pair that is violently not getting along. Even at shows, if we need to put two minis in a stall, we will find a way to divide them, If they get along, then they are stalled next to their buddy. If they don't get along well, then there will be a space for the less dominant one to get away. The only minis I will stall together here are weanlings of similar size.

I don't have a single pair of minis here that I could house together in a stall - even the best of buddies. The only two that I am having to stall together right now are my two 2013 fillies that are so clingy to each other that I am having to "wean" them from each other now.

I would just get some cattle panel and desperate the stall. They could still see each other and be happy but you'll know that they are safe and one isn't stealing the others food

If they get along and respect eachother you should be fine. If you decide to seperate the stall, buy one of those sheep panels ( corral panel with mesh and hsrdware) and a gate with mesh so you can divide the stall in two while having a gate for easy access to the other side. The mesh will precent them from getting stuck thru the bars. You can get a small panel and gate to split the stall down the middle or get a panel un the middle and get two gates and put them in a "y" that is the best way I have seen full size stalls get divided in two. Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on the size of your stall, you can divide it with a pipe corral panel that has a built in gate... They come in 10' or 12' lengths. Standard stall sizes are usually 12x12.

Or, do like we did and divide with two pieces of cattle panel. We pounded a t-post in the middle of each side and another 4 feet from one of the sides. We connected a 6 foot piece of panel between the t-post in the middle of one side and the one 4 feet from the other side. We used a 4 foot piece as the gate... I used baling twine to tie the panels onto the t-posts.

Kari

cattle panel stall divider.jpg

Oh heck no. My "twin" sisters were the best of friends until I got that notion they could reside together when being weaned in the same stall. I had plenty of space but I thought they might like it. Dumb idea. That lasted about 5 seconds or less. These are two girls who think they would die without each other and never seen separate until I tried the two for one stall idea. One would instantly become dominant over the other and a fight would break out if I wasn't standing there.I did keep them in a stall together but ONLY if i was standing there and working in the barn where I could keep watch. But leaving them unattended is completely out of the question.

View attachment 23972

Oh heck no. My "twin" sisters were the best of friends until I got that notion they could reside together when being weaned in the same stall. I had plenty of space but I thought they might like it. Dumb idea. That lasted about 5 seconds or less. These are two girls who think they would die without each other and never seen separate until I tried the two for one stall idea. One would instantly become dominant over the other and a fight would break out if I wasn't standing there.I did keep them in a stall together but ONLY if i was standing there and working in the barn where I could keep watch. But leaving them unattended is completely out of the question.

Barn Feb pics 004.jpg

Thanks for the question and the great answers. I was thinking about doing the same thing, but I know Seven wouldn't want another around at meal time. For me separate stalls would be the only safe answer.

I have put two mini geldings in one stall before. It actually is real cute to look in the stall and see them lying down next to each other. I also have had some minis that I could never stall with another. It depends on your horses. The only thing is one may eat faster then the other, so you will have to watch for that.

It really depends on the horses, but I would have to say 9 times out of 10, it is a really bad idea. I will even go as far as saying it can ruin the disposition/attitude of an otherwise awesome horse and could result in lasting behavioral issues in close contact group settings. They feel crowded, possible protective of their food and space and will act out negatively, not to mention it is unfair to have an animal with flight instinct have no where to retreat to if they feel threatened.

I have both of my minis in 1 stall and they do well together. I think it's do-able.

Depends on the horses, that is all there is to it, Start with a partition and see how you go. They would have to stand tied for feeding, but hay should be OK so long as there is enough of it.

I'm on the side of "no". Like the others, have had "best buds" that tore each other up when confined together. Out in the pasture they were inseparable but locked up, all you-know-what broke loose because in a horse's brain, one must be dominant. Pipe gates or some other divider, since your stall is so big, would be the ONLY way to go in my opinion.

I, too, say most of the time it isn't going to work or be a good idea. We only have one pair that we will put together. They were 1 and 2 when we got them and they were together all the time and were my husband's hitch and chariot team eventually (they are coming on 21 and 22 now-mare and gelding). It just worked with them. It has never worked with any of our others. The two gelding that are in hitch training now and are together a lot will share a divided stall; but sometimes with pick at each other over the top. My Mom's 13 year old gelding who has been here 10 years and was the only one with our older two for years is ok with a divided stall with others, but won't share with anyone unseperated. He will kick at them. That's HIS stall. So-usually no.

Back