Two Fillies within 12 Hours, but more importantly....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
Yesterday was the summer solstice.
default_biggrin.png
At 9 a.m. we were gifted with "Solstice Angel" (partly because of her markings). This mare is all Shetland and we love her, although she's leased. Both her owners in Texas and WE have not been able to get her pregnant for 8 years! This is her FIRST foal......Daddy is an Arenosa pinto stallion we acquired from Mel and Dorothy Broadhead. Please note her newborn photo, and her LEGS. And then see this afternoon's picture...........Someone told us we were going to have to splint them! But we've learned both from a wonderful vet and also from experience that a lot can happen to a foal's legs in a couple of days......(I think Tony has shown it in posts too.)

DSC_0449.jpg

And this afternoon........

DSC_0517.jpg

Then, last evening at about 10:15, our "Brownie" (Bond background) bred to our Bay Escapade (Locomotion son, Buckeroo grandson), read the foaling textbook and popped out a little bay (surprise - ha!) filly.......We will probably be calling her "Solstice Vixen".......especially after she spent the night bucking and kicking at her poor mother!

DSC_0479.jpg

DSC_0494.jpg

This also shows an interesting contrast of two breeding programs going on..........Very different types, but we enjoy both.

PS: Editing in to add the fact that we live in a "zero to minimal" selenium region, so we always give our foals a vet recommended dose of selenium and vitamin E, which certainly helps. Every mare seems to process their vitamins and minerals differently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats!!! Both are lovely and both are GIRLS, YEAH!!!! Gotta love that
default_yes.gif

Wow! They are both just beautiful, Maryann!! :))

Congrats!!

Susan O.

Love 'em both!

WOW to those legs... I would've panicked the first day! But they look SO MUCH BETTER!!!
default_smile.png

You know, when Jackpot, our colt, was born, he was very upright in his pasterns. But I reminded myself about Tony's thread and it let me relax
default_smile.png
I did ask my vet when she came out, and she said to give it a few days and she'd re-look. And sure enough, they were better than the previous time she came! Now they're normal
default_smile.png
It's amazing how leg issues can correct!

Jessi

Congratulations! on two lovely little "Solstice" fillies!!

They are both just precious - I love how some foals (like "Solstice Vixen")are so demanding of their Moms right from birth.

Nice fillies Maryann. Wonderful improvement on the legs and yes they sure can/do correct themselves. She was just cramped inside there for a while

Congrats!

Beth

Beautiful babies, I remember Shelby's one leg bowed to the side, we were told to splint, but my vet called the University and they said give her time and keep in stall, she has nice legs now.....Kathy

Congratulations! Very nice babies. Thanks for sharing the pictures of the first ones legs, its good to see the improvement. So far I have never had any leg issues at birth but posts like this one will help me know what I might expect if I do.

Latest posts

Back