Two AMHR questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsehug

Reaction score
I have two questions about AMHR.

First one: I bred a mare to a yearling stallion last year and got a foal. I know I can't register her with AMHR this year, but is it correct that after he turns 3 next January I can register this filly? I did send in a stallion report on him last year so they have that on record. (And just in case anyone thinks this is terrible...... no I do not think I hurt him psychologically by breeding him to this mare. He is still a very sweet boy and a good hand breeder this year as well. :)

Second question: Is the registering of AMHA horses into AMHR, closed as of the end of 2008? I have two little AMHA studs that I need to put into AMHR if it is on the verge of closing.

Thanks so much!

Susan O.

Your foal will not be eligible for registration at all. Because the foal was born in the stallion's 2 year old year, it is ineligible for registration.

There's been nothing mentioned about AMHR being closed to AMHA horses as of the end of 2008, at least nothing that I have heard.

No, you can not register the foal AMHR, its states you can register the foal only if BOTH sire and dam have reached their third birthday (Jan 1) in that foaling year. So no you will not ever be able to register that foal.

As for putting an AMHA horse into AMHR, unless AMHR has made that ruling recently, then they can both still be registered into AMHR off of their AMHA papers in 2009.

It was my understanding you can register the foal AMHR once the stallion is old enough to be brought to perm (?).

But, I'm thinking maybe you could get around it and register the foal "now" as a hardship off her AMHA papers?

Oh, Holly is right. Per Page 244 "No miniature foal may be registered out of a sire or dam unless BOTH have reached their third birthday (birthday as of January 1) during the foaling year."

But also on Page 244 "HARDSHIP: Only animals holding current AMHA or ASPC registration papers can be hardshipped into AMHR. Contact the AMHR office for details and prices." (so I think you may get it done using the AMHA papers.)

Nevermind; Jill was posting the same time I was & already quoted the appropriate rule!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much!

I kind of wondered that. Once before I asked this a year or so ago and was told that once the stallion turns 3 it could happen like Jill thought also, but I kind of wondered if that was correct.

The AMHA papers mean the most to me and I would not trade this filly for anything so it is all worth it to me, and getting the AMHR papers by hardship is fine. :)

Thanks again!

Susan O.

So, a foal with two registered AMHR parents cannot be registered AMHR because a parent is too young. BUT, if the foal is also AMHA registered, for an extra $200 - $400, they will pretend it doesn't have R parents and register it anyway. Boy, doesn't that make sense?
default_wacko.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you, Freeland!

I was thinking about it that very same way today!

Because I really had thought back when they made that rule about age that they had said the foal could be registered if you waited til the stud was older. I just knew AMHA did not have an age limit and am so glad.

But I am glad I asked, and know what I have to do now if I decide to make her AMHR also.

Some things about AMHR drive me nuts and others about AMHA, but I love my minis and try to accept things in the interest of raising these awesome little horses. :)

Susan O.

default_new_shocked.gif
WOW...I was thinking the same way as you and Jill were Susan! I thought that you could register the resulting foal if you waited until after the parents were permanently registered!

Latest posts

Back