Twitches

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to chime in here about cross tieing. Cross tieing isn't safe if you're dealing with a horse that's fighting you. I've had 3 horses flip over in the cross ties during clipping. Thankfully, none of them were injured or scared about what had just happened (I had mild heart attacks). I have found that with horses that fight you so violently that even a twitch and sedation doesn't work, it is best to snub them up to a pole preferably next to a wall you can pin them against. We have a shetland here now that the only way I can do his ears and legs is to snub him up. It's not fun, it's dangerous for all of us, but it's the only way to get it done quickly. And when I'm dealing with a fighter, quick is what I want!
default_wacko.png

With a horse that is that potentially dangerous to handler or itself, I have to ask...

Is it really worth the trauma?

I certainly see where vet care and hoof trims would require it, but for a show? I think I'd chalk that one up to "not meant to be."

But then, as always, I have to look at everything from a different point of view...this is just my opinion.

Just wanted to thank everyone for your replies and opinions. Zoey looks like a lawn mower ran over her but I've decided that she's finished for this summer. I wasn't clipping her for a show, only because we live in the high desert and it gets really hot here. So luckily, she doesn't have to look professionally done. I think more than anything, I wanted to prove that I could do it, and that she couldn't control the situation. After a couple of days, I realized that she CAN control the situation.
default_rolleyes.gif

I've contacted a couple of professional horse groomers, and I have a couple who are willing to take her on, should I need them to do it next time. Right now, I want to focus on getting her trust back. I just spent a while out there getting her to lift for me, and giving her a treat in return. She didn't have any objections. Maybe I'll wait, and then trim her up with scissors.
default_wacko.png

Horses NEVER seem to forget a bad experience.
default_smile.png
Once they are clipper phobic, for whatever reasons, it's near impossible to retrain them (not to say it can't ever be done but...). The sweetest, kindest, most wonderful horse I have ever had the pleasure of owning is a big old QH mare who becomes the horse from h*** when you go to clip her ears. Bad experience from a former owner? I don't know, but when she was showing we just had to twitch her and muscle through it. Ears only - she would stand with head down and no halter for everything else. Probably should have sedated her, but that was years ago and we just never thought about it.

I have two here now that we sedate to do their legs, makes life so much happier for us all
default_smile.png
. The yearling may be coming around, if I take my time I can sometimes get a leg or couple of partial legs done without it. The older gelding is just plain goofy about it, and will probably always be. Not worth getting yourself or the horse hurt and traumatized over something that can be done easily with sedation or the right kind of restraint.

Jan

I use the metal clip and put it on the horses lip. I will start with out it but when they start giving me trouble I put the clip on. I know the clip hurts me when I out it on the side of my hand but I have been told a horses upper lip does not have the same feeling as the side of my hand. I don't like to use it but, I can not afford another neck injury.

Can I chime in here regarding twitches and cross tying?

On cross tying, in my opinion it is simply a very dangerous method of tying if you are doing it in an open aisle. There is nothing to encourage the horse to stand still. He sees open space in front of him and if something surprises him he is going to attempt to flee then he discovers his head is caught and the fight is on! Dangerous for all concerned.

Try instead cross tying into a corner. I started doing this in the corner of a stall with solid walls. This is where I began clipping. Rubber mat in the stall, rake the shavings aside, a couple of clamp lights for lighting and it worked for years. Now we have a groom room and that is nothing short of wonderful!

groomroompal.jpg

groomroom.jpg

Bungee big horse trailer ties go through big eye bolts bolted through 4 x 6s. The bungees have 'give' to them so the horse doesn't hit something solid if he pulls back and they are fully adjustable as to length.

If the horse struggles there is little way for him to hurt himself and most are pretty good to stand form the git go. (occasional cookies help)

As far as twitches I use one of the 'ratchet' types with vet wrap wrapped around it to make it fit the smaller nose and also to provide some cushioning. I have looked and looked for those clamps at hardware stores. Where do y'all get them? The only ones I've found when I clamp them on my finger it hurts like blue blazes! I've tried all kinds and sizes from Home Depot and Ace Hardware. They are just too tight.

Charlotte

Thank you Charlott, the pictures were wonderful to show what you meant.

I don't know if I should ask this on this thread or start a new one, but can people who use clips/clamps from Home Depot, please post a picture of what the clamps/clips look like? I think that would help others out a lot also.

I agree with txminipinto CROSS TIES unless they give are a BAD THING. Worked as a stable girl in a Q.H. barn saw a BEAUTIFUL 4 yr old paint mare try to sit down in cross ties and tore the major muscles in both back legs they put her down. Makes me cry to this very day her name was Daisy.

Thank you Charlott, the pictures were wonderful to show what you meant.

I don't know if I should ask this on this thread or start a new one, but can people who use clips/clamps from Home Depot, please post a picture of what the clamps/clips look like? I think that would help others out a lot also.
Referr to Jill's post #9 in this thread. I just bought a pack of 16 in assorted sizes at Walmart yesterday for $4.99. They were in the hardward department. Easy to overlook.

I never thought about cross tying being dangerous. But I guess anything can be dangerous when working with an upset animal.

Ok, so everyone uses what Jill uses? Gotta go to Walmart.

[

Referr to Jill's post #9 in this thread. I just bought a pack of 16 in assorted sizes at Walmart yesterday for $4.99. They were in the hardward department. Easy to overlook.

I did too!!! 16 pack at Walmart assorted sizes for $4.44. They seem pretty tight I am worried they might hurt?? Also, how do I use them?? Fold the upper lip or just clip on?? Thanks!!

Charlottes cross ties are perfect then what I do, picture an eye bolt ,screw eye at the bottom of the wall in the corner of those cross ties. Then I tie a rope to the screw eye with a snap on the end. Hook the snap to the bottom of the halter keeps them from being able to flip over.

Latest posts

Back