~TWINS~

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplegum

Reaction score
Just curious.. I had been reading something online about 'twins' with horses. It got me thinking.....

Can miniatures carry OR give birth to twins?

It would seem to me that it would be very dangerous. I mean, they have problems aleady!
default_sad.png

I don't think too many big horses carry OR give birth to twins.

Maybe all you breeders can shed some light but I'm already expecting that it doesn't happen.

Yep it can happen, but most of the time the outcome isn't good.. There have been a couple cases of miniature mares delivering twins and many cases of large horse twins.. It's hard on the mares to carry twins because they can not support the weight.. Thoroughbred and draft horse breeds tend to have a higher incidence of twinning than other breeds.

Here's a link to miniature horse twins:

My Webpage

Just curious.. I had been reading something online about 'twins' with horses. It got me thinking.....

Can miniatures carry OR give birth to twins?

It would seem to me that it would be very dangerous. I mean, they have problems aleady!
default_sad.png

I don't think too many big horses carry OR give birth to twins.

Maybe all you breeders can shed some light but I'm already expecting that it doesn't happen.

3 years ago, we had 4 different people around here who had mares who foaled twins with 3 months time. I think one set died, 1 foal from 2 sets lived, and then one whole set lived. BUT they were all full size horses.

There's a farm in Alberta that has had a set of mini twins a few years back they seem to be doing fairly well. they have them on there website but l can't remember right this minute who the people or farm is...

There is an article about Miniature Horse twins in the winter edition of Miniature World Showcase.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the twin pinto fillies in Alberta (who were sired by a half brother of our tovero stallion) are the only set of miniature twins who have survived. Here is a link to their page:

http://www.lilpaintminiatures.com/twins.html

They are the twins in the story in MWS, and each has now had a healthy foal of her own.
default_smile.png

There was an absolutely adorable set of twin appy leopard colts born last year at a farm in the U.S., but only one survived.

I have personally seen two sets of twins, but both from Belgians.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never seen a set of Mini twins,but saw the great article in the new magazine.We used to subscribe to a magazine Mules&More and there were lots of sets of mules(all sizes) in that magazine.From what i read it is more common to have mules twins that survive.I know of several cases where both twins died or only 1 survived.I also know of several cases where the vet will pinch off 1 embryo in hopes of saving 1 foal from the mare.Sometimes it works sometimes not.

I checked out those pinto twins and that is an amazing story! They were very lucky. :aktion033:

Thanks everyone, it's very interesting.

Back