Twin Foals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Palomino~

Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has EVER had twins in the miniature horse breed! If so tell us all about it and show pictures!!

THANKS!! and I cant wait to see a post!!

-Gage-

There was a "B" sized Mini mare who foaled live, absolutely adorable pinto twins in Canada a few years back. Someone on here posted pictures of them again, not too long ago. I didn't save the pics....so hopefully someone will post them again for you here.

Twinning in full sized horses is rare....but even more rare (almost unheard of) in Minis. There just isn't enough room in a mini mares body to carry two. They DO conceive twins...but their body usually aborts one or both early on in the pregnancy.

The only other twins I've heard of born to a Mini mare was in California to a mare owned by a friend of mine. This mare was an "A" sized mare & foaled SIAMESE twins.....and they were born naturally (not cescarian), with a vet's help getting them out!. OUCH!
new_shocked.gif
These foals were full term foals, but they were born dead. They were still alive up until about two days before they were born tho. I have very graphic photos if anyone is interested in seeing them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Dona,

You were posting while I was looking for them
smile.gif

Susan O.

It was about 8 years ago and we were having our Ritchers Apache daughter bred to National Grand Champion Indian Snow at Bootstrap Manor. They were having a hard time getting her bred so they the vet culture her or do something which later we found out she had actually been bred with twins but when the vet did what ever it killed her twins. It was a good thing that this happened because she is only 28" tall and if she would have had them it would have killed her plus the babies. Ever since then she has had a foal every year, but has never had twins. As much as it would be neat to have twins I hope we never have that happen to us.

Never had a twin foal but I did briefly own a quarter horse that was a twin.

He was a complete nut case and so was his twin.

He went bye bye rather quickly.

The only twins I've seen were full sized horses - the colt that survived was the smaller of the two.

Jan

thanks everyone, I think of weird things, LOL I like to see things that are diferent!

Hey Dona, PM me those pictures!!!!

-Gage-

horsehug said:
Gage,
These are the only documented ones I have ever heard of that made it to be born and both survive.

http://www.lilpaintminiatures.com/twins.html

Susan O.

427805[/snapback]

Susan, that is very intresting!! I couldnt imagine walking out and finding TWO babies!! Wouldnt that be a surprise!!

But I agree with Aurbrey715 as cool as it would be I would NEVER want to have them, especially with all the minis I want (small small small)

-Gage-

Last edited by a moderator:
Dona said:
There was a "B" sized Mini mare who foaled live, absolutely adorable pinto twins in Canada a few years back.  Someone on here posted pictures of them again, not too long ago.  I didn't save the pics....so hopefully someone will post them again for you here.
Twinning in full sized horses is rare....but even more rare (almost unheard of) in Minis.  There just isn't enough room in a mini mares body to carry two.  They DO conceive twins...but their body usually aborts one or both early on in the pregnancy.

The only other twins I've heard of born to a Mini mare was in California to a mare owned by a friend of mine.  This mare was an "A" sized mare & foaled SIAMESE twins.....and they were born naturally (not cescarian), with a vet's help getting them out!.  OUCH! 
new_shocked.gif
  These foals were full term foals, but they were born dead.  They were still alive up until about two days before they were born tho.  I have very graphic photos if anyone is interested in seeing them.

427803[/snapback]

hey could you pm me with those pictures too?
smile.gif
if not thats fine..i think this twin post is rather neat!

Latest posts

Back