Turnout Socks For Minis...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calekio

Reaction score
I have young mini who has a lot of joint problems including osteoarthritis, in winter he struggles and i really want to get him some turnout socks so he can be out no matter what the weather but his legs can stay warm and dry.

In the UK they do turnout socks but don't do them small enough... wondering if anyone knows anywhere i can get some, even if it means paying extra for posting them to the UK!

Hi, do you mean polo wraps?? If so we carry them in sets of 4 made for the minis. I would ship to you. We are in Canada.

urmmm... don't know..

Basically i'm after something that when he is out in the field will keep his legs warm and dry.. so they'd have to be waterproof themselves...

Is that what they are

I haven't found them on any of the miniature sites over here rabbitsfizz, and when i did enquire to equine clothing and dinky rugs they couldn't help.... brushing boots aren't any use..

this is what i want http://www.equilibriumproducts.com/leg_pro...eg_hardy_chaps/ problem is getting them small enough! And that company can't get them small enough...

Would mini shipping boots work? They are made of weatherproof nylon with padding lining with velcro closures. If so, we can gladly ship to you.

Heck, with that picture, a bit of velcro and some neoprene or waterproofed quilted material, anyone with a heavy duty sewing machine should be able to make those for you.
default_yes.gif

If you cannot find someone...let me know, I have an industrial machine, and like to "play" with it.

Did you actually look at the links??

They have waterproof boots and they have magnetic fetlock boots that I am pretty sure they would do in full length if asked....

He wears shipping boots in the stables but they'd be no good in the field as our fields can get a bit wet.

I did look at links yes... but cant' see to what your refering to... brushing boots aren't what i'm looking for and the magnet bell boot wouldn't be any good as it would absorb water. And no boots at all on the top link...

Yer i did think about making them but wasn't sure what material was best..... i know some neoprene can absorb water (my neoprene wrist splints do) as obviously don't want to put anything on him that could effective mean he ends up walking round with material that is wet and cold againest his legs.

I buy-up old wetsuits and the like from second-hand shops whever I can. the neoprene they use, will still absorb water to a degree, but it is generally thiker than most. The thing with neoprene that makes it so great, is that although it might get wet, it also traps the heat in, so although damp, they will remain warm.

I would worry about the dampness causing sores on the horse's legs though. That is something that a lot of horses with lots of feather on their legs have problems with.

In your guy's case, it might be more prudent to try a glucosimine, or shark cartriledge supplement, that could be recommended by your vet. There are several supplements on the market that are supposed to help the older, arthritic joints of our old friends.

Latest posts

Back