Turnout help - desperately needed!!!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FurstPlaceMiniatures

Reaction score
So the uncontrollable pony I posted about a few mos ago has come along beautifully. We made the decision tonight to enter him in the local mini show next weekend. My horse is ready but I myself have never felt so so so unprepared for a horse show in my life! I've never driven in a show, and only even watched one! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a small local training type show.

Anyway, I have a black easy entry cart and a russet harness. My pony is a 40" dapple grey. He's English type so wearing my western get up would look silly. Think a mini Percheron tb cross!

Should I braid him like a hunt horse? I know how to and used to show hunters. Would quarter marks be acceptable? I was always really good at those and they'd look awesome on him.

Do I need to use a whip? He goes so well of my voice I never have. Don't want to fumble with it in the class if I don't have too.

What on EARTH do I wear? I was thinking my pinstriped 'power suit' coat that fits me well with a very pink blouse underneath, and a nice sparkly necklace. I am at a loss of where to get a hat and an apron before Saturday!

What about an apron? I'm handy with a sewing machine. Is it pretty much just a wrap?

What about a pretty but modest black knee length dress? Would I still need to wear an apron? What kind of shoes do I wear?

If I'm understanding what I'm reading on the internet right (which isn't much, hard to find anything!!!!!!!) it's pretty much anything goes so long as you look really nice and follow the style?

Thank you to all! I just - ugh. Hate feeling unprepared!

I'm by far not an expert on turn out but if it were me I would skip the hat and go for a riding helmet (I use one for every drive and have never been marked down in a show for one) If you go with a more 'English' style turn out the helmet should fit the picture nicely. I would go with the pinstripe - blazer style is it?- and a nice pair of black pants, or other matching colour. Yes the apron is basically a 'wrap' and I have made them from long black skirts that I open at the back and then use as a wrap around. They need really only reach mid calf but since I have short legs all of mine reach my ankles. Any clean black boots (assuming black and grey clothing) are adequate foot wear. Its too bad you have a russet rather than a black harness. Black is considered the traditional colour for a harness and with a grey horse, black harness with silver metal, a black cart and then you in black and grey with a nice splash of colour as a shirt would look very nice. No need to braid, if he has a long mane and tail having them combed out well will fit with what others do. Hope that helps a little, best of luck, be sure to let us know how it goes - pictures would be wonderful
default_yes.gif

Hope you had fun!

I was of no help as I am in Australia and not sure of what is the style in your part of the world

It went really well! He even won his country pleasure class!

It was funny though. Two women had minis that REALLY knew what they were doing. One pulls up next to me in lineup and tells me her horse is still green, it's only his third show. I laugh and say it was my guys maybe 15th time hitched? Both of their jaws dropped and they said I literally could not ask for anything more out of this pony.

His cones course was awful, he was willing but slow, but he did well with the gamblers choice and obstacle course!!!!! The judge even told me I had an epic prospect of a colt, then loved him even more when I said how green he was.

So yup. I love my boy. And I'm hooked on driving!

No one took pictures! I was so upset! I won a photo frame that day too. Was hoping to put one in it, along with his first blue from his first show, but no one that went with me took a single picture!

No one took pictures! I was so upset! I won a photo frame that day too. Was hoping to put one in it, along with his first blue from his first show, but no one that went with me took a single picture!
O, man, that's a drag!

BUT Congratulations on how he performed and your first show driving!!! That is so awesome. It's always fun when your schooling allows you to take a young/green horse to an event and have them do well against other horses. Taking a horse to an event can get a bit "exciting" - so it's always a good thing when they "hold it together" and do well for themselves!

Latest posts

Back