Tube worming minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnalee

Reaction score
Hi folks, what has been your exeperience in tubing worming your minis? I has someone ask me about it. Her minis reacts by feeling puny for a few days after. She was worried if the vet over doses. I nver had mine tube wormed that I can remember. I used paste wormers. it just seems a bit tramatic for the little guys. Looking for your opinions and experiences. Thanks.

I've never had a mini tube wormed, and its been probably 27 years since I last had a full-size horse tube wormed (paste came out and we never looked back). With the advent of paste dewormers, except for extreme cases or special circumstances, I just can't imagine putting a horse through it these days.

I have never tube wormed any horse--not even the biggies when tube worming was popular. Why not? Because I knew way too many tube wormed horses that died of colic--worm related colic. Tube worming, for whatever reason, seemed quite ineffective for quite a number of horses. These weren't horses all tubed by one vet nor even by one particular clinic, these were horses owned by people we knew I various parts of the country. Obviously it worked for many horses, but not all. We always fought with the feed through wieners and never has colic issues. With paste dewormer being so effective, why tube??

Why would anyone tube worm a horse of any kind these days? The only time a horse is tubed on my farm is when there is evidence of colic. Tubing is very traumatic on the esophagus and if not done right the medication can go down into the lungs. Paste wormer is so much safer and costs a lot less to do.

Thanks for your replies. That was my feeling. We didn't tube worm after the pastes came out either.

Tube worming usually is with an organophosphate...very tough stuff, would expect it to make them feel off .... wondering why anyone would chose that method.

I've known of ponies who also got bloody noses frequently after having been tube wormed. Must have weakened a blood vessel wall in the nose.

Latest posts

Back