trying to get my black horse a shiny coat

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louise

Reaction score
Awhile back someone had posted about a product , that helped with this. it was called ( something black) can't remember or find the post. does anyone else have the info. thanks!!

THANKS,DISNEY HORSE!!WHERE CAN I PURCHASE THIS PRODUCT?

I used to use Black as Knight and thought it was great stuff but then SmartPak came out with their own formulation which I LOVE called Smart Dark and Handsome. Better than Black as Knight in my opinion.

I swear by paprika! I never tried it on my black miniature stallion (who now has a bleached coat of course) but I did try it on my black mustang who also of course always faded in the sun. Come spring when the sun starts getting stronger, I would start him on paprika (one of the main ingredients in Black As Night and a heck of a lot cheaper!!!) which I bought in bulk from Amazon and gave him a used supplement scoop full every day.

Two years ago I stopped the paprika for two weeks... and within those two weeks his coat bleached!

The stuff works great and is cheap. Save your money - no need for a fancy black coat supplement!

I never tried it on a horse already bleached.. But I am going to assume that once a horse's coat is bleached you have to wait for the new coat to come in.

Just be aware, Paprika will test out on drug testing, so if you are showing and the show drug tests, products containing paprika will likely test positive on their tests. [i don't show and don't feed paprika, but I'm sure I've read this on this board and others.]

Other than keeping a dark horse out of the direct sunlight so it doesn't get a washed out coat, I swear by a healthy diet and veggie oil added to the grain. I never limit my horse's time in the sun, but the I feel the oil in my gypsy vanner's diet is the reason for her super shiny black coat.

Black Oil Sun Flower Seeds! I have had mine on it for 3 weeks and he is so dark and shiny!

The first picture is him 3 weeks ago and the second is of him yesterday! He is wet in both pictures!

V__F535.jpg

WP_000520.jpg

Ground flax seed is a great supplement as it is packed with Amino Acids that boost coat and skin condition. Black as Knight and Smartpak's generic work well too. However some of my horses do not like the taste of paprika and it can put them off of their feed. I put sunscreen on my black mare to help keep her coat from bleaching out in the sun. It works wonders. I agree 100% that a shiny coat comes from the inside and starts with a healthy diet and healthy skin. However the sun really does damage hair, so with my horses that stay out 24/7 (yes they have shelter, they choose to stay out) I put sun screen on them. I have never heard of feeding the black oil sunflower. The proof in the photos looks amazing! Have you ever had any colic/ intestinal distress from the seed hulls? Thanks.

The shells on BOSS seeds are softer than those on the striped sunflower seeds they sell for human consumption, so rarely an issue for horses.

Are the black oil sunflower seeds the same as for birds? I just checked on Amazon. I had never heard of this before and am so intrigued. How much and HOW do you feed? Shell and all???

Yes, they are usually the same as fed to birds, just be sure if you buy from the bird department the label lists only black-oil sunflower seeds as ingredients; some companies add a product called Bird-Kote (may be spelled different) which is a vit/min for birds.

Yes, feed shells and all; and typically a 1/4 cup or less is sufficient to add shine to the coat without adding too much weight. [bOSS is very high in fat, thus calories, which is why its good for the coat.]

Reactions: KLM
Great! Thank you Chanda! I am going to try this on my buckskin and black pintos
default_smile.png

At first I ground mine, thinking they could cause a problem. But gave that up after a few months! Mine have eaten between 1/8-1/4 C every day for years. I never see any undigested pieces in the manure.

Reactions: KLM

Latest posts

Back