Trying to get a maiden mare in foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orkie

Reaction score
Hi,

Am I the only one out there that is having a heck of a time getting a maiden mare in foal or is there more of you out there? What is the secret to getting them in foal? This mare has a bad average of heat cycles. One time it will last for 10 days and then the next month maybe only for 6. I gave her a shot of Lutylce on the last heat cycle and she was in for 12 days, the vet ended up geting her a shot of HCG to make her ovulate. She was hand bred every day and I made sure she was covered after the HCG shot while still being in heat.

One question, how old is your mare? Unfortunately some mares don't take until they are 5 yrs. old.

Also, since she is having er-regular heat cycles. I would try Regumate for 10 to 14 days and then breed her when she comes in heat after that (vet should be able to help you with that) which is 3-5 days (if I remember right). Regumate helps to get them in a normal heat cycle.

Also I don't start breeding a mare until her third day of heat. Then it is every other day. The sperm last about 48-72 hours in a mare. Most it is about 48 hrs. That way if you are only breeding every other day you have less chance of getting the mare infected. Also, if the mare is not out of heat by the 10-11 day I would give a HCG shot to help her ovulate and only breed her once after that. My old vets usually suggested within 6 hrs of the HCG shot either before or after.

This is just my experience with this problem. I am sure someone else may have some different advice. It will just be a gamble what will work best for your mare and you because every mare is different.

If this mare is only 3 yrs. old there is a good chance she might not take this year. Good luck.

Hi,

My mare is 4 this year. I have thought about the regumate, but didn't give it to her yet.

I would suggest Regumate also like Windhaven said. Also I would have an 'in heat' vaginal exam to be sure her cervix is opening up sufficiently. This can be corrected manually if it isn't.

Charlotte

Latest posts

Back