trying to find a driving bit

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHF Fancy

Reaction score
I've read all of the posts on here about selecting a bit and I've decided to try my green mare in a half check french link snaffle. Can anyone suggest a place where I could find one that isn't made of copper? I've searched everywhere and can only find a solid copper bit.

If you find one- PLEASE tell me where!! I too, have searched and searched, but can't find one
default_no.gif
I would LOVE to find one.

Try Iowa Valley Carriage. She's got non-copper French links but unfortunately they are all paired with butterfly or liverpool cheekpieces the last I heard. I put in repeated requests for a half-cheek version and I know she was working on it but since I got a Myler I haven't asked her for an update. You might email her!

Leia

I bought from Iowa Valley carriage the French Link Butterfly bit. The link is made of copper, but nothing else is. Would that work?? It is a lightweight bit and the dimensions are correct for a miniature. I use it on my smallest one, he wears a 3.75" bit.

I do have to say hands down Sandee is super fast about returning emails and she keeps her website updated which makes it easy to do business with her.

Try PrimeDesign Tack I think they have them. Debbie is really good to work with too!! I use a french link on all my horses and I love them!!

Thanks for the link to Prime Design but they only have eggbutt french links. Oh well, the search continues.

Oh Sorry!! They do only have eggbutts I thought they had the one you wanted!! I do use the eggbutt french link and my guy loves it. What would be the difference between the eggbutt and the half check for those of you who know about bits?? I've never really thought about it!!

I have 3 of the copper bits from Mini Express. I do like them--they are well made bits, actually much better quality than they appear in that photo link; when I ordered the first two I wasn't sure they'd be what I wanted, but when they arrived I was very pleased.

My first order was for a 3 1/2" and a 3 3/4", but I got 2 in the 3 1/2" size. Since I liked the bits I immediately ordered another one in 3 3/4" size--and Doobie, yes, that time around I waited 4+ months for my bit. She had run out of stock & didn't get another order in for awhile, only she never bothered to let me know that. (Doobie, you should contact her again & ask when she's getting another order in & remind her about your bits, particularly if they are paid for!) I plan on ordering another 3 3/4" bit but haven't gotten around to that yet.

As for the copper mouth, I haven't had a problem with the horses chewing it up. My horses are still very green at this point & I was a bit concerned that if I put a copper bit on them they might be likely to chew it up. However, it hasn't been a problem so far--they've scuffed the bits a little, but there are no major gouges or chew marks.

I did look at the egg butt bits at prime design, though I do prefer a half cheek for driving. Maybe it's more traditional? To me egg butts just aren't "driving bits" though for driving around home it doesn't really matter.

The length of the link does matter--the shorter the link the milder the bit is; that's something else to keep in mind when shopping for bits.

I am pleased with my choice, though in future if I ever come across the Mini express bit in stainless steel I would probably buy several, just to give me more choice to pick from for different horses.

Wish the same bit was available in the "Neverrust" alloy--that's my absolute favorite, though there are a number of other alloys used in some of the full size bits, and I'd be happy with any of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW!! I've learned a lot on this thread and I love the Mini Express half cheek french link!! I also love that it comes in 3.5 to 4". I'm going to order some!! What do you guys not like about the copper mouth piece?? We always prefered it on our riding horses to help keep the mouths moist.

Two reasons why I'm not real keen on bits that have all-copper mouthpieces--some horses just plain don't like copper. I don't really blame them--I don't like the taste of copper (and yes, I have tasted a copper bit, just to see!)

Second, because copper is such a soft metal, if a horse decides to really chew on the bit he can make a real mess of it--they can make some nasty gouges in the mouthpiece, leaving it too rough to use again.

I had one Morgan do that to a copper bit once; I was able to sand & buff the bit smooth again in that case, but couldn't have if it had been any worse.

Anyway, that's why I prefer the good alloy bits--they'll keep the horse's mouth more moist than a SS bit will, but they're not as soft as copper, and not as yucky tasting as copper.. Sadly, they also don't seem to exist in Mini size.

I agree 100% w/ Minimor. Solid copper mouthpieces are very soft, and if a horse likes to mouth/chew its bit, you are likely to end up with a mouthpiece that has very sharp edges, or may even break. I have had this occur, w/ both 'big horse' bits(an Ervin Quick) and a mini snaffle, and am no longer interested in all-copper mouthpieces. I also have tried the 'taste' of a copper mouthpiece--copper is VERY acidic, and may very well create an unpleasant taste/sensation in the mouth as it reacts w/ saliva--think, how would you like to have something bad-tasting 'locked into' YOUR mouth?

Like others, I'd like to see some supplier convince their bit mfg. to come up with a well-made half cheek french link-but that said, I've bought a couple of OVC's butterfly french link, and the horses are quite happy in them. If you hook your reins into the top ring, you will essentially have only snaffle action. If I had a green horse, I might just use the egg butt w/ french link mouthpiece; the half-cheek is really NOT 'required', except perhaps in our minds!

Margo

copper combination mouth peices are not legal for Dressage (as dressage people know ther is usually a very good reason why a bit is not allowed). I once read an article as to why.. supposidly copper reacts with other metals and causes a sensation like if you were stick your tongue on a 9V battery. I remember doing that as a kid and it was certainly unpleasant. I've never had good luck with copper bits between them chewing on them and causing sharp spots and between them just plain not liking them. anyhow i stay away from them.

Latest posts

Back