Trusting others, it was the right person

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
Some of you may or may not know I took a trnsfer to TN, just over 3 weeks ago. I had to find a house, get things together, set up here in TN.

So the horses stayed in Indiana. For me, not a problem, the same person who has cared for them when I have been gone, for 4 years now, was going to be taking care of them. She has always done a good job, she knows how I am about them. I have gone home every weekend and all was fine. I did not go back this weekend as the horses come here tomorrow, they leave in the morning.

But now, maybe not all of them. I received a phone call yesterday from someone who knows me and the girl caring for the horses. The girl lost her job and I was told she didn't have gas money and wasn't going to my house. So I sent a 3rd person to check. I am not going to go in to detail, it's rather painful right now, unbelievable guilt. They are out there right now trying to determine if one of the horses is able to make the trip tomorrow.

My point with this, check!! double check!! have another person check in as well!! I trusted her, was comfortable with her and let my guard down.

If you are reading this and thinking, would not happen with the person I use. Let me say, I trusted her 100 percent, used her for 4 years, never one ounce of problem, went above and beyond. Have you said all those things? It can happen.

A little extra precaution never hurts.

Still waiting on word if they can all travel, they should arrive late tomorrow afternoon, I know it will be a very, very long day.

Please, don't get comfortable.

no.gif
praying all will be ok for you.

I am sure I speak for many of us that we are all holding our breath awaiting their arrival tomorrow to you.

Please let us know how they all are.

We all have to go away sometime and need to have people we trust taking care of our horses.

I am sure we all feel we have a great person when we leave. Thanks for reminding us to have that person double checked as well.

It is amazing how things can go badly fast, and when you least expect it.

Please let us know how this all turns out.

So very sorry to her what has happened, sending prayers that things will work out ok and they will be able to join you safely and speedily. Good luck!

Anna

I am so terribly sorry. I know you, like the rest of us, never doubted for a minute that your animals were being properly cared for. Sadly, this is a horrible reminder to us all, so thank you for sharing your experience so we remember to stay on guard.

I hope, hope, hope all your horses are well enough and can make it to you tomorrow. Sending prayers and positive thoughts to you.

On a personal note, I too used to have someone I trusted completely care for our horses, dogs and cats when my husband and I would travel to horse shows. Her parents live just a couple of houses down from my place, she volunteered at the same shelter my husband did, etc. At the Julep Cup in 2008 she called and said one of our dogs was sick. When I finally got more information out of her I just asked "his is still alive?" and she said I don't think so. I told her to take him immediately to the vet and then I called the vet to say she was on her way. The vet's office called me as soon as she arrived. Our dear little boy Diego that we had adopted only 6 months earlier, was dead and had been dead for several hours! His temp was AT LEAST 108 degrees - that was as high as their thermometer went. She had left him tied in the yard, with no access to shade for what she told us was only 30 minutes, but the vet said he had been dead for several hours. It was heartbreaking and it was senseless. He suffered due to her carelessness.

I hope you have a better outcome.

Please keep up posted.

I'm so sorry.....

I'll keep you and your beloved horses in my prayers and I hope that ALL of them are able to make the trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh that's so awful
default_no.gif
. I hope everything will go alright and that everyone is okay.

Hoping that your horses all arrive safe and sound tomorrow. Please keep us posted.

Now I don't feel so paranoid about the way I leave my horses the rare times that I do get away. I always have between 2 and 4 people covering - with a complicated schedule and multipage instructions that everyone gets. They are encouraged to leave each other notes, call each other (they get everyone's number, plus the vet of course) or contact me. I often leave an outdoor cam up so I can check on them more directly.

Carolyn you know all of us who read this are sending best wishes, high hopes and our prayers that everything is ok and all your furkids get home to you. Please keep us updated.

Where in tennessee are you located? I pray they get there safe. If you can't find a shipper let me know. I may be able to help out. I am located above Nashville in Kentucky. About 1 hour away. Holler if you need anything

Carla and Spike who says *Holler? We don't Holler...we Whinny*

I am so sorry for you having to deal with this, it's definately hard when someone you "think" you know, turns out to make bad decisions and hurts others.

I am a little confused though...you were there 2 weeks ago? Was everything fine then?

Oh gosh Carolyn!!!! Im so sorry that your in this mess, I guess sometimes we just have to determine just how mature, reliable and responsible some people are..
default_no.gif

Dang it Carolyn, this rips me to no end. I am so very sorry. I'm not near you, on the other side of the state but if you need a port in a storm, do not hesitate to contact me. Try to remain calm as possible. I do know how this feels.

So sorry to hear, I hope all turns out ok. I too am one that worries about leaving my animal's with someone. There isn't anyone out there that can take care of our animal's (kid's) like we can, and if you can find someone like yourself it is a miracle. very few and far between.

I haven't gone anywhere in such a long time do to the worry of the kid's. Its like if something is going to happen it is going to while your gone. never fails.

I hope all of your horse's arrive safe and are in good health. Sending Prayer's!!

Carolyn-

Hope ALL your horses are on their way to you.

I've had problems too - last time we left our horses to go to TN, I had the same person as always caring for my horses. I called her when we were a few hours from home and she said it looked like our stallion had a slight injury around his eye. She said he wouldn't let her look at it, but looked like no big deal. I got home, took one look and called the vet. His eyelid was ripped and it took several stitches to fix - ended up with the vet here at 9:00 at night. It could have been handled earlier and would have saved me a bunch of money.

Guess you can't trust people to take care of your horses like you do and that's a shame. I hate to even go away now.

Barbie

I know what you are going through. I had a big horse (mare that had just foaled) when I lived in Utah. She was at a stable but you fed your own horse. I was going to be gone about a month. I left the money for the feed with my mom and left. When I got back, my mare was a rack of bones. I was floored. I asked my mom what happened and she told me my brother needed books for classes (that he dropped out of). This was my mother that did this. I talked to her all the time while I was gone. I would ask how the mare was. Mom would tell me she was fine and the foal was growing. I could have killed my mom when I got home. I pray all your horses can make the trip and will all recover without any problems.

I know what you are going through. I had a big horse (mare that had just foaled) when I lived in Utah. She was at a stable but you fed your own horse. I was going to be gone about a month. I left the money for the feed with my mom and left. When I got back, my mare was a rack of bones. I was floored. I asked my mom what happened and she told me my brother needed books for classes (that he dropped out of). This was my mother that did this. I talked to her all the time while I was gone. I would ask how the mare was. Mom would tell me she was fine and the foal was growing. I could have killed my mom when I got home. I pray all your horses can make the trip and will all recover without any problems.

Ummm........I would have written off ANYONE who pulled something like that. In Fact I would have turned her into the authorities. She STOLE from you AND neglected/abused your mare. That is disgusting.

Thank you all so very very much for your good thoughts and prayers, I can't tell you how much it is helping me right now.

I was sent pictures last night, the vet said it was up to me, the guy bringing them was there last night and so I talked with him. All said it was a 50/50 call. I just felt I had to get them ALL here, so they are all on their way. Expected to arrive around 7:30. He is stopping every 2 hours to check on them and has medicine on board if needed. He has already called me after loading them and again after their first stop. So far, so good, well with them any way, I may be a different story.

Thank you all again so much, I will update tonight. I had already found a vet here as that had to come first and they will be out if need be.

If you hear a big sigh around 7:30 or 8, even in CA, yeah, it was me.

Thank you all so very very much for your good thoughts and prayers, I can't tell you how much it is helping me right now.

I was sent pictures last night, the vet said it was up to me, the guy bringing them was there last night and so I talked with him. All said it was a 50/50 call. I just felt I had to get them ALL here, so they are all on their way. Expected to arrive around 7:30. He is stopping every 2 hours to check on them and has medicine on board if needed. He has already called me after loading them and again after their first stop. So far, so good, well with them any way, I may be a different story.

Thank you all again so much, I will update tonight. I had already found a vet here as that had to come first and they will be out if need be.

If you hear a big sigh around 7:30 or 8, even in CA, yeah, it was me.
Carolyn, we are all praying as those little guys and girls arrive safe and sound! May angels follow them. Holler if ya need us!

Carla and Spike who says *let me bite her!*

Carolyn, I am so sorry to hear this. I didn`t realize you had taken the job in Tenn....wishing you and the horses all the best.

Let us know when they arrive and how everyone is doing...thinking of you..

Latest posts

Back