Trouble with Platform Feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ionafarm

Reaction score
I just want everyone to know my experiences with Farnam and Platform feed for Minis. I had never tried Platform as it is about the most expensive feed out there and since I was having good results with what I was using I saw no need to until my distributor went out of business.I thens saw on the Farnam website a $4/bag rebate with no limits on the coupon good until Jan 4. On top of that my TSC said that they would give me an additional 5% if I bought a ton at a time. This would bring it down to a reasonable - though still high price. So I got my first ton. I contacted Farnam and asked if I needed 40 repate slips or if one rebate with one receipt is okay. They emailed back that one rebate with one receipt was acceptable. I sent in the one rebate with the receipt for 40 bags circled for them. After waiting 6-8 weeks I got a check for $4. I again contacted Farnam who then claimed that they had changed rebate companies and that company messed things up. Now I was told to FAX a copy of the receipt and rebate. Which I did within 15 minutes. After waiting 4-6 weeks I contacted them again and they claim they never got the FAX.(right) She also pointed out the the rebate slip on line now was changed to limit to only 4 bags. I said I had noticed, but I had printed out enought rebates to get me through to January. I also told her that by this time I had sent in a second rebate for another 40 bags. She assured me that there would be no problem. So I FAXed another copy of now two rebates. In two days I called and she said she got a blank copy from me(is that possible?).She then told me that from now on I needed to send in 40 rebate forms "they" decided. I told her that since they changed their directions that they should supply me with more rebate forms as I had not printed out 280 forms, just 6-8 what they had said I originally needed. They said No that they are allowed to change their promotions whenever they wanted. I FAXED them both a third time from my home FAX and then took it to my office and FAXED it again.

So it is now 6 weeks later and guess what. I have heard nothing.

I told them I planned on posting my displeasure on all the horse sites I can but she laughed not believing I would. I did not want anyone else to get caught up in Farnam's scam with Platform feed. Better yet If you can take the time to email Farnam and let them know you are upset over how they treat mini people, I would appreciate it.

By the way-Platform was OK for the minis. They got a nice shinny coat, but it says you need to feed less than other feeds, but I found that I was needing to feed more. One yearling colt gets double.It is not worth the extra $. I am going back to Tiz Wiz after show season.

Thanks for reading- hope no one else gets caught in this scam.

I have had to deal with Platform on the phone twice and never had a problem. They were always very helpful. My problem has been with Purina, there the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

We have had problems this year with the rebate. Last year I received all for the whole year. This year I received 2 rebate checks but not the others I sent in. I saw that they change the rebate coupon on there web site. I emailed them they sent me a phone number spoke to a person they said it goes to them and then to the platform company and as long as I had the rebate form they would honor the rebate. Waited some more . Contacted Platform again got email back person in charge of that dept is on vaction. Will get back to me next week. We will see what happens. ( I have a form for each bag) So postage is depends on how many a bought that month. I send the forms in monthly. I am very disapointed in them changing the rebate in the middlle of there offer.

Im sorry that happened to you, i choose not to feed platform mini feed as i feel i can feed a higher quality grain in less bulk that costs less, i have seen and fed better products at a better price basically. I would hope they would do well to makes things right with you though.

You can put a pretty mini on a pretty pink bag, still doent make what is inside good
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't done the rebate program yet. I got tons of coupons last year at the World show that was better.

But I just ran out not too long ago. And went to do the rebate program that I saw online and the coupon isn't good anymore. I sure hope they reinstate the program. Or at least have more coupons at Worlds.

I did email them.

Im sorry you have had problems.

IMO there are much better grains out there. But it is put in with our boarding and platform is what the BO feeds. So I can deal with it...

I'm sorry you had such bad luck with them. From my experience with the Platform feed, the very easy keepers do very well on it. The other grains just kept them fat, yes they were getting exercised they were performance horses, but they did very well on the Platform, but from what I have learned from other mini horse owners that don't have that luck with easy keepers they didn't do well on that feed at all. I tried giving it to my broodmares for the first time and they got very skinny. Only recommend for easy keepers.

I tried it for a year or more, til the cuopons ran out, and i loved what it did for my geldings. My preggo mares and baies and yearlings I hated it!! They all had good skin and coats but stayed thin. So since the coupons expired i just feed local feed store feed and rice bran. Mite get more if natioanls has coupons. At least for the geldings.

Shelley<><

I was feeding Platform and using coupons. My local feed store quit taking the coupons because Farnam wasn't sending them their money. I called Farnam, and they said they would check into it. A few weeks later, got an email saying I could use the coupons. Ok, great!!!! But now all my coupons are expired, Farnam would not give me anymore
default_no.gif
. So I don't feed it anymore... too many other feeds out there to choose from!!!!

I know other people haven't had luck with this feed.

But I stuggled keeping weight on my horses with other feeds.

This is something that has put weight on them. And I don't even feed as much as they recommend.

I probably won't be switching no matter what even without the coupons. Just would make it a little more affordable

I've been using this feed for a long time, long before it was even put on the general market because I was one of the test farms. I've been very satisfied with the results.

One thing that people have to pay more attention to in their feeding program is the quality of their hay. It might look and smell good, but if it isn't cut at the right time, or if it is low quality grasses instead of those high in proteins and sugars, it doesn't matter what you feed...a horse isn't going to do well (unless your feed is a total feed). Whenever people have come to me with issues with their Platform program and asked me what they need to fix, invariably they are feeding a low quality hay.

I've been using this feed for a long time, long before it was even put on the general market because I was one of the test farms. I've been very satisfied with the results.
One thing that people have to pay more attention to in their feeding program is the quality of their hay. It might look and smell good, but if it isn't cut at the right time, or if it is low quality grasses instead of those high in proteins and sugars, it doesn't matter what you feed...a horse isn't going to do well (unless your feed is a total feed). Whenever people have come to me with issues with their Platform program and asked me what they need to fix, invariably they are feeding a low quality hay.
I completely agree with this statement...I have fed Buckeye, Purina, and Platform along with good quality hay and by far I like what that Platform has done with my minis. I like that I can tinker with the program to individualize the grain/supplement/roughage ratio to each one. It is def. not a "just dump in the bucket" type feed, but once you get the ratios right it is great.

I fed Platform for about a year, and had no major issues with it. I didn't think my broodmares & growing babies were doing quite as well as they had previously - didn't work for me as a "one size fits all" feed - but no one lost weight drastically or looked terrible. I used a few coupons redeemed at the feed store, but never had the issues you have had.

I've been through a couple of feeds since then - not the norm for me to keep switching - and have settled for now on Aussie Logic's Kool & Kalm. Not the cheapest feed on the market but it's done well for them so far, and they suggest you not feed alfalfa with it so the cost balances out.

Jan

I was feeding this stuff for awhile and noticed that my little yearling at the time was doing horrible but my mare was doing great.. I was spending too much money and didnt get the results I was hoping for.. Currently I am feeding my minis great hay and that works for them.. My pony is on a product by Nutrena and I love it and so does he...

yay your going back to tizwiz I like it better idk cuz it has a cool name.

~rachael
default_laugh.png

It is not the feed that is a problem it is there rebate program. We received two checks have sent in forms one for each bag purchased monthly and sould have received checks but they changed there rebate program. Now there coupons on web site do not say for the year ending Dec 31 2008. Emailed them they gave me phone number called said checks sent to main office should be on the way. Several weeks later still no checks. Emailed them again person who handles this on vaction. shows the check there. Spoke to rebate center they said as long as I have the proper forms they would honor rebate. Trouble is with Platform office.Do not think a company should change rebate in the middle of the orginal time frame.

Platform ows me a couple hundred dollars according to their rebate program..they change things around so if you buy a lot at the time its impossible to keep up..I complained and emailed and emailed..they just ignore you..how fair is it to get 1 rebate if you buy 20 bags..I finally had it and dropped the feed..

Platform changed the refunding company address..the second One went to Texas not to AZ..soooo wonder if you get a refund..bet they will not honor it.
default_unsure.png

Just received this email:

[SIZE=10pt]"Dear Francine,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Thank you for your patience while I researched your request. I was able to establish that our Rebate Redemption Center has received and processed the rebates you mailed in on 4/25/08. They are just waiting for the check to be printed and mailed. I do not have verification at this time that they have received your other requests. There has been a significant delay in the processing of these rebates. As you have noticed, this promotion was cancelled recently and will be replaced periodically by other promotions as the year progresses. We will continue to honor this rebate, though the processing of this rebate will be taking much longer than it has in the past. The reason for this delay lies in the fact that we are now relying on an outsourced Rebate Redemption Center (CMS) to process our rebates. Since these rebate forms are not able to be processed by CMS, they must be mailed into our office in Phoenix, AZ, where they must be processed and forwarded to CMS to further handle. So, please keep this in mind when you send in these forms. Any new promotions we offer should be able to be processed much faster as they can be sent directly to CMS. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Thank you,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Gina M. Kurcz"[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=10pt]Consumer and Professional Support [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]CENTRAL LIFE SCIENCES[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][email protected]mailto:[email protected][/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back