Trouble teaching a foal that NO MEANS NO!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calekio

Reaction score
We have a very very confident 2 weeks old colt foal. He is a very mature boy for his age... and unfortantly is trying to 'play' with people!

He has other foaly friends... but the other 2 foals tend to stay away from him as he's been very rough with them... his mother lets him get away with everything (anything for an easy life) and he hasn't get started harrassing the 2yrs old or the other mares... I'd really love to get him out with my 4 boys who are constantly playing.. but the main 'player' in the group is my yearling colt... who isn't really good to go out with his mother for obvious reason!

We've now even got him on a head collar and starting to lead to try and teach him how to behave nicely and also give him something to think about..

But yet will still have biting and kicking and he's more than happy to reverse on you and buck! And although he's only a shetland foal... he still hurts! We also had him rearing at up today which i quickly taught him no by catching him and holding him up until he looked throughly bored and wanting to 'get down' (but yet when i first caught him.. he thought it was part of the game!!)

We've tried growling at him, smacking him (not his head), flicking his nose (for biting), quickly pinching the skin (like another horse nipping him), stamping feet, shoving him off... he's even had a kick for reversing and bucking on the odd occassional... but even when he does run off.. he's back 5 seconds later for more... likes its a game!!

Never had such a stubborn and naughty little foal before... normally all the above methods work well to discourage the naughty behaviour. He is also very independant and more than happy to come galloping up the field to greet up... leaving mum the other side of the field!!

He is very smart which i'm sure isn't helping us out either!

Ideas?

What you have is a very saucy and bright little guy! But like a very bright kid, you have to constantly out-think them! AND you have to establish the best (and safe) mode of discipline....THEN STICK TO IT. You are looking at a one of those colts that will be testing.......testing........testing..........

I hope you get help..I am still trying to teach my yearling not to cow kick me when I wanna mess with his legs or belly..Ouch. So obviously I am no help whatsoever...

BACKING.........Make the little fart BACK - BACK - BACK! (They hate that!) But you have to be consistent.

Ideas on making him go back though?

As making myself big and large and flapping arm... that makes him come forward! lol

I have a colt like this year... but not as bad as him... particularally handy with the front legs up and you and the teeth... all what we've tried with this guy worked with Spirit which is why i'm at a road block...

I've got some people on another board saying i should ditch the halter and not handle him (differcult when he's the one running up to me in the field and he's also on med's for diaorhea(can't spell) so i have to handle him to some extend.

I was hoping the head collar would assist me in teach him to stay out of my space and to behave himself... as i can control which way he moves and as we discovered yesterday you don't get let off in the field when your bouncing around.. he must stand quietly before i let him go! He picked that up and 'walk nicely or we go in little circles' very quickly! Smart little cookie... just too smart for his own good!

Oddly enough the colt from last year is the same colt i want to put him in with now for a play buddy.. and him and gelding play all the colty games all day long... and i know the 3 geldings wouldn't take any stick from him either! But its the fact he's a yearling colt who knows very much what to do! lol

But Spirit is now an angel... doesn't bite, kick, rear... when he went out with the geldings he did all the above! lol Prince will go in with them at weaning but i'd rather we found something now!

I new this would be colt! I had one just like him and today he is a pocket pony and gelded of course. Get a riding crop, they are about 12-16" long. One with a hand flapper or such on the end. He comes for you do as MA says..back back back and you do this by being big(good for you) and using that flap in his chest, shoulder just to push back back back. they get real sick of this game fast and then think how they approach us. Trick is to have that crop tucked in the back of you pants at ALL times so you can whip it out and poke..always gentle never whip just firm push, they hate that and will rethink. Also use a big QUIT and big BACK sharply. Colts are so smart I luv em! Also love the dickens outta him when he shows he is a good boy!

Must admit... when you mentioned a riding crop my first thought was ''oh no.. i'm not going to wack him with him...' lol..

But yer i understand what you mean to do.. more annoyance than anything... will try that... didn't think of that.

He was being rather cuddly this evening... came over without trying to bite or kick me so i gave him some attention.. he finished off the good behaviour by grabbing my trouser leg!
default_rolleyes.gif

He is so funny... i thought he full sister last year was bad.. stroppy as anything and would hold a grudge... least she didn't bite or kick though! lol (but then that is a colt thing! lol)

We've had some the same issues with Ducky. He's not trying to be mean, but we will NOT have a horse who bites or nips. I've been pinching his neck hard and saying "ahhhh!" (sort of sounds like a growl) or "quit it!" as i do it. I've also slapped his neck a couple times and turned to him and kicked a little (not hard). The only problem I've had honestly is that he's so young and so little. If he were even already a weanling, I'd not have questioned myself as to how to deal with the issue. Seems to be working, though, and hasn't altered his love of people so that is good
default_yes.gif

I have a 3 month old that will 'hunt' me then bite and run. he's horrible! doesn't like to be touched.when I turn out in the morning I must kep an eye in the back of my head open- he will sneek up behind me and bite- I will tweek his nose when I can catch him in the act-but, boy is he fast. the other 3 month old has decided that he loves to be rubbed and no longer bites- hope it's just a stage........joy

Latest posts

Back