Trouble Breeding Mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
Okay so I would like to get some advice from you all knowledgeable breeders out there....

My mare Allula is a young mare who had a blue eyed bay pinto filly in 2011. We had lost the filly due to my now ex-husbands cruel heart (long story) and she didn't get out of the bag in time. I didn't expose Allula to the stallion on her foal heat, I let her recover since she was a maiden and this was her first birth - nothing went wrong and there was no physical damage done to her during the birth process, had her vet checked and flushed as usual. I pastured her with the stallion for several months but she didn't catch and there was no resulting foal for 2012.

Back in 2010 I hand bred her as well as pasture bred her - she would only let him mount her pasture breeding AFTER I had hand bred her for the first few times - before her first breeding she would chase him off and act defensive, so there was no breeding.

I would really like her bred for 2013 to him but I am beginning to wonder - the main reason I pasture bred her was because she is SO HARD to tell if she's in heat or not. So what are some VERY SUBTLE signs I could look for with her? I've had her with my boy for about 2 months now however I haven't seen a covering nor have I found any signs of attempted breeding such as residue around on her rump area. Should I hand breed and pasture breed like I did in 2010?

Thanks for any and all advice, it is greatly appreciated!

ps....I included a pic of her just for kicks lol

P1130168.jpg

If hand breeding served you well in the past, by all means go with it. Look for subtle signs such as winking of the vulva, frequent urination while showed the stallion, or my personal favorite- whinnying and snorting at any other horse. She may possibly be bred already (thus resulting in the stallion not showing interest). Most mares cycle only lasts about 7-10 days and it is hard to really pinpoint when they are in heat if, like your mare, they are not showing signs.

I have one mare, who in fact poses the same issue. Except she has never been bred, so fear of the stallion may be the case. Our gelding can put her into heat, but put the stallion near her and she flips!

What we usually do is introduce the mare to the stallion to see if she is in heat, any signs of aggression show she is not. If she does show even the slightest signs, have your stallion cover her.

So you should do what you did in 2010. If that was a success I cannot imagine it will be any different. Any more issues and you should consult a vet.

In 2010 was she a maiden mare (her first time breeding)? If so I understand her reluctance and miss signals.

The stallion is the most likely one to determine when she should be bred, so pasture breeding may be a great way to insure she is in foal for 2013.

Things I would do would be to keep her tail braided to make it easy for him to find the target, and if available, having your veterinarian ultrasound her to determine if she is bred.

When I pasture bred I used to bring my stallion in for the night so I could see the mares reaction to him in the morning, once 1 of the girls looked interested in him I would leave him out day and night for a week. Most of his coverings are at night so it makes it hard to work out dates but this way I could keep a track of it. I wish you all the best for a 2013 baby for you and Allula. How are the other girls doing?

Renee

Latest posts

Back