Trip to Disney World

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We are taking our 9 year old Grandson to Disney World in Florida in a couple of weeks. I would appreciate any information you could give. Are there any places to get 5-day hopper tickets at a better price than at Disney World.

Thanks so much for sharing your dos, don'ts and must see places.

Judy

Oh Please that is my second home.

First go to Kissimmee/St Cloud for lodging

Do not ever go in July or August. Don't even think of going on the 4th of July. Crowded so bad you will die. Lines so long you will faint. Terrible terrible heat, then bad lightening storms and you come home with pneumonia. September-December-spring time is pretty good months. But if you have to go like this soon do water rides which will cool you down. Wear flip flops or sandels cause your socks will get soaked and gush. If you want one day that is not too hectic go to Mickey Mouse Village and bum around.

Look in the grocery stores for coupons and at realtor offices. There are always discounts available if you dig. Dig online too. Don't carry a purse! Get one of those things you put around your waste with your money in it and use travelers checks. Try to eat as much as you can outside the Magic Kingdom, it's really expensive to eat in there. Don't eat dinner in Epcot! Unless you are used to foreign. The Morrocan restaraunt darn near killed us. But if you want dinner in the Magic Kingdom you need to make reservations the minute you get there or there won't be any room. Don't miss the fireworks. There's more but I can't think right now but have fun.

Oh, can you stop by and pick me up?

I went twice last year to Disneyland and I bought the tickets on Ebay. They may have Disney World too. You "rent" them from an individual. It was much cheaper than buying them at the gate. It seemed like an odd process the first time and had me worried but there were A LOT of people utilizing the service. The guy was very professional. Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!

I mostly just lurk here, and look at all the pictures......BUT....I moderate a WDW website....

There is a ton of information on the web.

Mousehousemagic.com is the one I am a mod at. Disboards.com is HUGE...almost overwhelmingly so. Those are two interactive forums, like this one, that you can ask any questions on.

Allearsnet.com has great pictures, as well as menu from all the restaurants in the "World"

You're looking for 5 day park hoppers? Your best bet is to pre-purchase them online. I personally would NOT recomend ebay-unless you find someone selling unused tickets. Even that leaves me skeptical. Price them at disney.com, then check mousesavers.com. A broker I've used is mapleleaftickets.com. You may be surprised that the prices are about the same...sometimes for less days Disney is the cheapest!

Do you have hotel reservations? Where are you staying?

Also, as Marty said, if there is someplace specific you'd like to eat (as a sit-down meal) make reservations ASAP....if you have an idea where you'd like to eat, you can call now to make an advanced dining reservation. Some of the more popular places are booked up months in advance, as you can call Disney 180 days prior to your trip dates to book your meals!

Come on over to Mousehousemagic.....we will talk your ears off there!!! LOL!!!

Most importantly, have fun!!!

Thanks so much for all of your input. This is my first trip and I am so excited. We are leaving the 15th and will be there a week.

Marty and Tiffany you are welcome to join us - then we can have the VIP tour.

We have rented a house for the week and everyone that has done this said they had a really good experience. So, we will see. We will eat most of our meals at the house. Thanks Marty for the food tip as I dont want to get sick while there. At least I will know to order something "safe".

Any more suggestions or ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks again in advance.

Judy

Please don't miss: * mean excellent my favs

It's a Small World *

Pirates of the Caribbean*

Haunted Mansion*

The Keel Boats are fun

Country Bear Jamboree is cute

Have fun! It's been years since I was there, about 18 yrs ago I think. I'd love to go again someday. Be sure and post some pics when you return!

I was just there during april vacation but we have gone a couple times before that b/c my grandparents live down in fla so we go down there every year.

~ Use hand sanitizer before every meal! I got the stomach bug when i went down and ended up missing magical kingdom (i was actually in magical kingdom when i got it).

~ The safarie (sp) ride in Animal Kingdom is great! Its my favorite part.

~ have lots of water avalible, you'll get hot.

~ the food there is really expensive so it helps if you grab stuff from Publix (grocery store) or something and cook it in the hotel (if you can) we ate out every day, every meal and i got SO sick of it, and it was for only 3 days.

Living in Florida I have gone to somewhere in Disney World at least 3 times a year since the year it opened....I believe 1971. I can't even count anymore the number of times I have been there. I also have an AFTER 4 Pass to Epcot. We meet friends for dinner at the various restaurants which are FABULOUS. Marty, I don't know what could have happened to you, but I don't know anyone that doesn't love eating there. The French, Italian and Chinese are my favorite....oh Japan and Mexico are great too. Guess it depends what food you like the best. But it's wonderful and delicious and FRESH......but on the $$$$$$$$$$ side.

All of Disney has great food but Epcot is the BEST along with the hotels. We often go to Wilderness Lodge for dinner. It has a wonderful Pacific Northwest Menu. I could go on forever. Now I am getting hungry!

We would never think of going in this heat. You would die..........It actually got to 100 earlier today. It is never this hot this early. You just have to know what times of year to go and which days are the best for each park. You can easily call and get that information. I like to go when you don't have much of a wait for a ride. And if there is something that has a long line you just get a FAST PASS. We love SORIN' in Epcot. Just there a few months ago and got 3 FAST PASSES. :DOH! Wonderful.........it's like you are a kid again. So many wonderful things to do.

Have a wonderful time.........dress in cool loose fitting clothes and your comfiest shoes.

I can't eat in Epcot because I don't like a lot of foreign food but it was the Moroccan food that sent me over the edge. Everyone was teasing me saying I was eating a horse because it was some kind of mystery meat that wasn't setting well with me. I'm just an old American burger gal that's all.

Here's an idea for you: Get a map of Disneyworld and go online and view whatever appeals to you. Use the map so you don't waste a lot of time trying to figure out what you want to do and back track. You can save yourselves a lot of time in walking and trying to find things if you organize it all first. Pre plan.

Really, pick me up, I'll share gas money!
default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPnfAnmWqPU

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much for all the great info. I picked up our tickets to Disney World today in Dallas. Yea!!! We have tickets!!!! The house where we are staying is in Kissimmee. The lady at the Disney Store in Dallas gave us coupons and a map and marked all the "must sees" for us so between her and your advise I think we are set and ready for a great time. Come on the 15th. The closer it comes the more excited we get. Now if I could only sleep through the really long drive. We are driving half way and staying overnight and driving the rest of the way on Monday. It is 1060 miles from our house to Orlando.

Once again thanks so much for helping me with your advise and ideas.

Judy

Not sure about tickets, we get ours free
default_biggrin.png
My grandmother used to work in the sewing shop (retired now), I'm sure she could sew Mickey's outfits with her eyes closed, and my grandfather and aunt work there as ride maintenance/behind the scenes..

Are you planning on going to just one park or all of them?? We were just down there in March because my sister's high school band got to perform prior to the afternoon parade and they marched down main street..
default_smile.png
My brother and I got to do it 4 years ago, I was a senior and he was a freshman.. Totally amazing, castle in the background and thousands of people lining the streets watching and cheering you on, talk about a rush!

At Magic Kingdom I definitely recommend the parades, they're soo much fun, and the light parade at night is pretty cool.. As far as rides you HAVE to go on the Buzz Lightyear one, I LOVE it lol, you can skip the Stitch one, it's not really a "ride" and if you don't like the dark or surprises then it's definitely not one for you.. Space Mountain is a classic
default_yes.gif
as well as Haunted Mansion.. Splash Mountain is GREAT, if you don't mind getting wet and it's cute too.. And of course, you have to stay for the fireworks over Cinderella's castle and watch Tinkerbelle fly from the castle's tower
default_smile.png

If you're going to Epcot, you should check out the ball, it's been totally redone and renewed with some cool interactive stuff (thanks to my aunt and her crew!) And OMGosh YOU HAVE to go on the Finding Nemo ride, soooo flipping adorable and it's AMAZING how they did it, it's actually an indoor aquarium and they incorporate Nemo and friends "in" the tanks with the real dolphins, manatees, sharks and fish, it was definitely one of the best "rides" we did down there.. Test Track is pretty cool too!! And of course, you have all the International Pavillions where you can (and should!) go and try food from the different places! And once again you gotta stay for the lasers/fireworks
default_yes.gif

Disney's Hollywood Studios is one of my favorites!! If you go, and like roller coasters, you have got to ride Aerosmith's Rock' N Roller Coaster
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Then you have The Tower of Terror, I LOVE it, but don't ride it if you don't like complete darkness, sudden drops and afraid of heights
default_wink.png
The new "Lights, Motors, Action" stunt show is wicked, and a must see if you like that kind of stuff, it's SOOO neat how they do the different stunts
default_yes.gif

And last but not least, is Animal Kingdom, which is a favorite of mine.. If you go you'll definitely have to take the train or truck ride through the animal lots to see the giraffes, elephants, etc. When we were down there they had sooo many babies, so it was extra special to see them all out and playing, the zebra foals were the best!
default_wub.png
The Tree of Life is awesome enough, you could spend all day just looking at all the animals and detail that was carved into it! The Bug's Life 4-D (which is in the Tree of Life) is a must-do
default_biggrin.png
Won't spoil the suprises in there
default_wink.png
They have a new roller-coaster, called Expedition Everest and it's super cool
default_yes.gif

One thing I REALLY REALLY REALLY recommend doing is getting fast-passes for the rides you REALLY want to do.. Lines were pretty long even in March when we were down there (course we went right around Spring Break) but now that it's summer and schools out I'm sure they'll be just as bad or worse.. They'll have fast-pass machines at the rides, slip in your ticket and you'll get a ticket for the ride with a time range on it (example 10:00-11:50; if I remember right it was typically a 2 hour range), then during that range you can come back to that ride and get in the "fast-pass" line which is shorter (though some not by much!) and you can get on the ride(s) quicker... It saved us a lot while we were done there, without using them there was no way we could have gotten on all the rides we wanted to!

Latest posts

Back