Trimming

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babygoose

Reaction score
Ever since my farrier left last December I can't find anyone to replace him. Especially the minis, nobody seems to be able to trim them right. So a friend of mine went to the school that Gene Ovineck puts on in Colorado. He has been doing some trimming for me and helping me learn. I finally got my Barracuda nippers (which work great by the way!) and did two minis this weekend. Only got their front feet as they were the worst, but hopefully we can get the hinds done in the next week also. Their feet had really gone to heck searching for and trying different trimmers.

Anyway I know I didn't do a great job and hope to get my teacher to come take a look at them next week and give me some input. But I think I can improve with some practice. Here is before and after of Harry. I didn't get pictures of all the feet, I kept forgetting to take pictures!

Right front before:

trim003.jpg

Right front after:

trim010.jpg

Now here is Stubbs. I think I might have cleaned off too much of the sole and not left enough hoof wall to protect it. I hope he doesn't get footsore! I will feel terrible!

Stubbs left front before:

7608002.jpg

Stubbs left front after

7608003.jpg

7608006.jpg

I know they aren't great, but I am hoping they are at least improved from what they were! The Barracuda nippers are great. I tried my teachers St. Croixs (I think that is the brand) and I couldn't even trim with them squeeing with both hands! I can work the Barracudas one handed, both right and left hand!

I think they look really good for a first trim.. Practice and time will see you improve but you did an awesome job this time. Where did you get your Barracuda trimmers from as we are trying to locate some ? Thanks and Take care,Alicia

I think they look really good for a first trim.. Practice and time will see you improve but you did an awesome job this time. Where did you get your Barracuda trimmers from as we are trying to locate some ? Thanks and Take care,Alicia
Thanks! I do love the Barracuda nippers so far. I havn't tried them on the big horses yet, but they cut very easily. The person that is teaching me didn't like them as well as he has small hands and with the nippers open at their widest, he couldn't get his fingers around them. I have long fingers so it isn't a problem for me. I don't think I could be doing this if it wasn't for the Barracudas.

Anyway, I ordered mine from Cheval International. It cost about $40 more than ordering them from the manufacturer, but they got here in 4 days. Getting them from the manufacturer would have taken about 6 weeks. My minis feet couldn't wait that long! Chevel had a couple pair, but after they are sold they will not be carrying them. If you are not in a hurry, I would get them from the maufacturer. Just Google Barracuda Nippers and they will come up. Cheval Internationals number is 605-787-6486 and they also have a webpage.

It looks like you're off to a really good start!!! We love our barracuda trimmers, too
default_yes.gif

They look great! The gentleman helping you is the one who made the Natural Hoof Balance DVD, right? I have that and love it. What a wonderful teacher he is. I have a fabulous farrier, but to save money my husband rasps the hooves of 4-5 now. The farrier does all foals to the age of 2. He also always did my peanut who needed an expert trim for hocks. Now that she sold, I'll rotate one of the other 5 with him to make it worth his time to come. He checked hubby's work when he first started and always gave him the thumbs up. Hubby says it'd be easier with nippers, but I just don't think I want to go there--yet. I'm just afraid what could happen if the horse isn't still. As long as the rasp is sharp--he does a great job.

Good for you!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

They look great! The gentleman helping you is the one who made the Natural Hoof Balance DVD, right? I have that and love it. What a wonderful teacher he is.
My teacher went to the school that is taught by Gene Ovineck, the one that made the Natural Balance DVD. I wish I could learn from Gene himself! I hope that I can maybe get to the school myself one day. I think he has a lot of good ideas and his trimming and shoeing makes sense to me. My farrier left to go work with Gene in Colorado. My horses feet were in such good shape when he was doing them. I really miss him and can't believe how hard it is to find a competent trimmer in my area!

I just got my Barracuda's in the mail today! I haven't tried them yet, but will tonight. I too have a couple that are getting bad and need trimming.

For those that asked I contacted Inovative Concepts for my Barracudas. I paid $120 including shipping. Don't know how much they are at other places. Their website is www.hooftrimmer.org Email is [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back